1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAIDMAX Smilodon PSU question

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by steiner666, Mar 22, 2007.

1. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm building a new rig an this is the case i've selected:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811156062

Looking at the photos, it seems that this 500w included PSU has a 12+ rail with 28A on it. I currently have a nice Antec PSU with strong dual-12+ rails but the guy I'm selling it to wants the PSU so it's basically gone. I won't have the money for a while to get a new PSU to put in this case and I'm wondering if this PSU will be sufficient to power my computer until I can. Anyone have experience with this case/psu? I know there's no way to know for sure until I get everything installed and try it out, but any educated guesses would be appreciated. i don't even want to bother trying that online PSU wattage guesser thing because we all know it's the amps that really matter.

Here's the new hardware that will be installed in the case:

AMD 64 X2 5200+ Windsor
    2GB DDR2-800 2.1v
    BFG 8800GTS 640mb (OC version)
    2x 200gb maxtor IDE hdd
    Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
    plus it has 1 120mm, and 2 80mm LED fans

and thats it. No optical drives or anything yet since I just use images and a gigabit network to get files i need on it.

I also found this under my GPUs reqs:
    "A 425W PCI E xpress-compliant system power supply with a comb ined 12V current rating of 28A or more*

*Minimum system power requirement based on a typical PC configured with an Intel Core2 Extrem e X6800 processor"

2. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is very close. i would in no way run that psu for a long time unless i knew the brand of it. seems like it would work for a while though, ive seen alot worse "500w" psus.

3. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah... very close. I hate just barely meeting the reqs. I suppose if I need to I could... *gulp*... underclock and maybe lower voltage somewhere.

4. tkpenalty New Member

Thanks Received:
    The last thing anyone should compromise on is the PSU...

5. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some of the very words that I live by. Don't plan on keepin it for long, just has to run for a week or two till my next paycheck.

6. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    dude why are you getting ide hdd? sry this doesn't have to do with the psu question you asked, but if you can.....get sata.....every new mobo has 4 or more sata and only 1 ide so imo you should get sata!

7. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The IDE drives are ones that I've had for years. They're 7200rpm and have 16mb cache... I'd like to get sata and probably will when i can afford to get 2 in raid 0.