1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM bottleneck

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by cincybengal, Mar 16, 2008.

1. cincybengal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I have a problem. I have 4 sticks of 1gb ram in system. Due to some mobo issue reading 4 sticks, the memory, even though it's 800mhz, must be set on 667. As a result, I am having a problem trying to overclock my e8400. If I raise FSB, the RAM mhz goes up, resulting in system instability. Any suggestions to get around this?

Also, would it be more advantageous to drop down to 2 sticks and overclock? Ideally I could get 2 x 2 1066mhz ram, but system is only 2 or so months old and I don't want to just toss this ram. What do you think?
  2. mandelore

mandelore New Member

Thanks Received:
    UK-small Village in a Valley Near Newcastle
    have you tried a different strap setting / memory divider, to allow a higher fsb while maintaining a set oc on the ram?

edit:

It may also be possible since ur using 4x1gb stix that u need to increase the ram voltage and up the northbridge voltage a notch get get stable at 800mhz
  3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    your stix should run @ rated speeds, like mandelore suggested try upping the n/b or Vmch volts as your prolly stressing out your mem controller with those 4 stix

have you tried just using 2 stix?

:toast:
  4. cincybengal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I upped the voltage to the ram to 2.0. Corsair website said you can go up to 2.1. Have not raised NB voltage, was a little concerned about that move(noob). I have messed with various settings but everytime I go above 667mhz the ram starts failing tests.

Also, how to you change it so that the timing isn't tied 2:1 with FSB? I have read about that but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I have seen websites using the same board and the same type of memory going up to about 900mhz with 2 sticks ram. If I did that and o'clocked the e8400, do you think performance would be better than straight 4 gigs ram at 667?
  5. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    nah man, those sticks will run ddr2 800, probably more if you feed them some voltage... especially on a p5K... do they run 800MHz without OC'ing your 8400?
  6. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    there should be a setting in your bios (under advanced maybe, not too sure with Asus boards) that allows you to select from a range of ram speed settings. Some mobos, like Pauliegs Abit Ip30 pro has it set to where you can put 1.2:1 1.3:1 etc. Should be something like that or what I said above.
  7. cincybengal New Member

Thanks Received:
    4 sticks will not run 800mhz stable, even though that is what they are rated. According to Corsair the problem is the mobo's ability to access all 4 sticks because the boards are optimized for 2 sticks. Basically, 2 x 2 sticks are faster(and will run at rated speed) than 4 x 1 sticks. Frustrating though. You would think a BIOS upgrade would fix it, but the problem with the c6400 series ram has been around awhile
  8. cincybengal New Member

Thanks Received:
    I upped the nb to 1.4v, downloaded new bios, and got fsb up to 390mhz stable. cpu is running 3.5ghz. That is the highest I can go stable. Windows won't load above 390mhz.
  9. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try one more notch up on n/b volt. Also does your board have a fsb termination voltage option? If so increase that one notch.