1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ram Cooling Help Heatsinks, Thermal Paste, Fans

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by MDK22, May 28, 2008.

1. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so i have a nice pair of ocz ram they come with their stock coolers. How good are they? If i put arctic silver cremaque on it, not as5 for condoctivity on ram is bad, will they stick or will it fall off once it heats up :laugh:. From what i can see it definately voids the warranty but so does OCing most stuff so... I know there is the Dominator fans i was wondering if they work well on normal ram that lacks the dominator heatsinks. Was hoping to get advice from people that have tried this stuff. Also was wondering if anyone can find any ram cooler reviews of passive, air cooling, or other. I have been having trouble finding this kind of stuff from good unbiased review sites.

Also if anyone knows if there is temp monitoring on ram and what programs could show me the temps to list them.

2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Just keep the sinks as they are and point a fan at them.no point voiding the warranty unessacarily.

My single sided tracers are at 1125mhz/2.2v with no fan cooling and they're fine.

MDK22 says thanks.
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    MDK22 says thanks.
  4. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tigger69 while you are probably right about that it doesn't hurt to get information from reviews about replacing the heatsinks. After all knowledge is power. And the more power the more you can push your oc lol.

Ty Namslas90 keep um coming guys.

5. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    I believe with ok airflow, you should be fine. However, if you are an overclocker from hell, and I mean Take 800mhz and make it 1066 or higher, these might also do the trick.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=160

I must say though, these in my eyes are very unnecessary for about, say , 80% of the heavy users. My Balliatix in my Antec 900 are fine, and have never been even hot to the touch. Mild War at the VERY extreme. In short, you should be fine as long as there IS a heat spreader.

MDK22 says thanks.
  6. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    What namslas90 posted is perfect.You wont need any more than that,unless you put some of the artic ram sinks on your ram combined with the spot fan.

7. jbruneau

jbruneau New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Corsair TWINX2048-4000PTs run really hot, especially when I push then from 250 to 285, so I looked at these:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21674&vpn=OCZTXTCC&manufacture=OCZ Technology
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23552&vpn=CL-R0023&manufacture=THERMALTAKE
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21240&vpn=CMXAF1&manufacture=CORSAIR

I got the OCZ because I run their PSUs and was running their memory (up until my Platinum Rev.2 PC3200 1GB Kit wasn't enough for gaming).

Some day I'll build an AM2 system and make the move to DDR2. Not right now, when I've got a family, and 10k of debt....Anyways point is these all work for DDR1 and DDR2.

The OCZ is nice, good fans, good size, and good airflow :D! Been running the OCZ for about 8-12 months now, and no problems. They are good to me anyways, I think if it *ever* breaks, they'll cover replacement irregardless.

All of the above options are great coolers, any of them would work just fine. No need to play with heatspreaders! The warranty is *ONLY* void if you push the voltage past recommendations, it has nothing to do with clock speeds ;)!

MDK22 says thanks.
  8. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received: