1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM for P5B Deluxe : ARGHHH!

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by p27182, Jul 20, 2007.

1. p27182

p27182 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is anyone here using an asus P5B Deluxe motherboard?

if so, what kind of ram are you running?

here's my pickle (if I can call it that):

Mistake #1:
    I initially bought, and still have, 2 gigs of ddr2-800 ocz 'gold edition' ram. which I purchased based on a picture I saw of somone running the same mobo & ram, thinking well if he's running it, it's gotta work at least, and I was under the impression the timings were nice as well...plus it was 10 bucks cheaper than others...woopty do.

after a week or two of pulling my hair trying to figure out what the hell was wrong (mistake #2) my dumb ass finally called tech support to have the guy on the other line say "oh that type ram don't work".... Then shortly after I called I saw the posts you guys made telling me it was probably my ram... Tech support told me to buy kingston or corsair and that they'd definitley work. then I see these comments in some review on new egg saying that the corsair ddr2-800 and kingston ddr2-800 don't overclock well....

so here I am, crying to you guys cause I apparently dunno wtf I'm doing... but I'm trying to figure it out.

I have 2 gigs of ocz ram that I THINK I can use if I up the ram voltage to 2v. But no ram to boot off of to adjust it... (Im thankful that I at least know the ram is the problem, I borrowed someone's ram to tell, but they ain't available no more)

anyone have any suggestions?

or comments? like "haw haw, n00b!!!" :roll:

thanks
    -pat
  2. zOaib New Member

Thanks Received:
    CRUCIAL
    CORSAIR
    G SKILLZ
    PATRIOT

run fine with the p5b deluxe , ocz depends and looks like u got the ones that dont work right.

sell your ocz and get crucial or g skillz which r a guarantee to overlclock n work , because i have used both . and look at my specs
  3. largon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lots of compatibility problems with OCZ DDR2 lately...
    I guess OCZ has exceeded the maximum amount of "BLING" allowed in DDR2 specification.
    :rolleyes:
  4. Boneface

Thanks Received:
    Im running 2gig of OCZ gold ddr2 800 and have been for since i got this board. No problems at all
  5. choppy

choppy

Thanks Received:
    well like the other guy said, sell the ocz ram and go buy compatible brand or you could by a cheap 512 stick and get into bios, make your chnages to voltage and see what happens with ocz
  6. giorgos th.

giorgos th. New Member

Thanks Received:
    it is a compatibility issue with the 965 chipset in general.
    with the OCZ sticks,this happened with the older batches.
  7. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    my dad has ocz ram on his 965 baord (see sig)

i'm using crucial (see system specs) but i think as every one already said it's just a compatiblity issue
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    try putting in 1 stick only to ajust the volts
  9. longo213 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Never had any troubles on P5B boards with any DDR2 modules, except the high performance ones which was always corrected by setting the the voltage to higher value. Try to search for the specs on OCZ website, for some modules it's up to 2.4V for aggressive timings.
    Reset the CMOS before and it should work imho.
  10. p27182

p27182 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys, glad to say i've ordered...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

so some of you think that if i up the voltage on the ram will make these ocz sticks work? i mean in order to up the voltage i need to use other ram to configure that in the BIOS no?

again, much thanks!
    -pat
  11. longo213 New Member

Thanks Received:
    So they are not working (and never worked) at all? That's weird...

Btw, what BIOS version are you running? There are mentioning quite a lot memory compatibility fixes on their support page.
  12. p27182

p27182 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I havent had a chance to fully boot her up yet, it's still the pre-loaded BIOS version, so I'm hoping that as soon as I get her up and running with the gskill ram, i can mod the v's and upgrade latest BIOS so I can load the ocz in there too....and have 4g's of ram... which i guess is somewhat purposeless running windows 32 ... lol ... do I get any bragging rights with 4g's or ram?

thanks agin
    -pat
  13. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i built my friends with 4 sticks of 512 corsair xms2 ddr2 800 with no issues
  14. longo213 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's what I'm talking about... with most recent BIOS I was able to make it work with memory modules from ADATA, Corsair, APACER, Kingston and Kingmax... it might be something what was later corrected by BIOS update.
    Isn't it possible for you to simply borrow one DDR2 module from a friend, just for the BIOS update? Then you can try it again to be sure.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  15. kenjin New Member

Thanks Received:
    OFF TOPIC

your dad gets c2d you get a pentium D, your dad get a 8800gts you got a 7300, :eek:

obviously your dad dont want you to play games too much LOL