1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM speed issues while oc'ing - can you help me please!!!!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by techfreak41, Apr 2, 2010.

1. techfreak41

techfreak41 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have recently upgraded my pc, i got a dell imedia 3318 pentium d 2.4 ghz and have since added a g31 mobo with e7400 core2duo, upgraded to 4 gb ddr2 800mhz ram and installed an Xfx HD4650 1gb, what i want to know is i can overclock my chip throught the bios i know how to sdo that but when i do it ups the hz of my ram, now when i lower the multiplier of the ram to keep it on or below the
    800mhz it fails to boot, so if i leave the multiplier on auto and the ram hits 900mhz + is that safe??? if not how can i fix this problem as i have seen e7400 hitting speeds or 3.4-3.8 ghz no worries and want to achieve at least 3.3 really, please help!!!!!!
  2. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Although I am not really experience at overclocking at all, on first impressions you may have to give it a bit more voltage.
    Although wait for others to come in and clarify my post/tell me i'm an idiot for giving you wrong advice.
  3. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well yeah they both go by the base clock.

upping the voltage on your ram may help, but voltage increases are very small , so don't do it alot. find out what it is supposed to be.

if you put your system info in your profile, it will help us.

it's really a matter of finding the sweet spot. you need to find what timing, speed, and voltage your RAM is rated for. and then manually set timing in bios. then up your core freq and lower your ram multiplier to keep it at the appropriate speed. I know you said that's what you are doing but that is it. you just have to find the sweet spot - and some hardware simply doesn't want to be overclocked or changed from stock in any way

all to often a good cpu/gpu/etc is limited by a "bad" stick of ram, or a mobo, etc. they all have to like it for it to be stable.
  4. techfreak41

techfreak41 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks guys, just lowered my ram multiplier to 2.5 and managed to get my chip up to 3.4 and the ram was on an even 800mhz and its stable lmao respect to you all,