1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM timings vs amount of memory & general RAM stuff

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Pinchy, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive always been interested in stuff about RAM, but i really dont know much :p.

So here is stuff im curious about:

1. Whats more important, really mad ram timings or more memory. For example, what would be better, 2x512mb of performance ram, with like CL2 and stuff, or 2x1GB of value ram, with CL3? Like i figure 1gb of anything would be better than 128mb of super leet ram...but when does it start making a difference?

2. How important is speed? Like is 2gb of DDR333 better than 1gb of DDR400? or is 4gb of ddr400 better than 1gb of ddr800

3. what is the diff b/w high and low density?!? So many rumours, but ive never actually heard a decent answer :p!

Any suggestions are welcome (but plz make sure they are right...i dnt want flame wars :p) and even if you only know 1 of the answers, just post :D

Thanks in advanced :)

Cheers :toast:
    Pinchy

2. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Ram speed makes very little difference for games. I just tested with 3dmark 06.

2x512 mb 200 mhz dual channel crap ram vs
    2x512 mb 200 mhz + 2x256 mb 133mhz single channel

With an amd 64 x2 + 800 xl, its around 1,6% difference, no overclock, no tweaks

Cas 2 gives a little boost around 2% and good memory allows for good overclocking
    in genereal. Crap ram comes with a CAS 3 and a command rate of 2. Its almost impossible
    to overclock at all.

Dunno about high/low density, but i guess you mean double/singlesided. Doublesided ram is
    always slower and may not work in certain memory configurations on your mobo. Try to avoid it.

Attached Files:

3. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    the amount of memory, speed it runs at and latency is primarily useful for system intensive work such as video encoding and loading of large textures (such as games use) that sort of thing. i could give much more detail, but u might start to get lost :p so ill leave it at that unless u feel ready for the super techy stuff :D

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    well lets see w/ ddr266 i can get a 4s drop w. these timings vs stock and a 20pt increase in scm2 and i know it takes time off vid editing and pic editing

Attached Files:

5. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    I feel that the ram is the least important part of your system, aside from the dvd/floppy

6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    well you obviosly ignore a big part of your system ;) ram makes a big role i mean w/o fast ram you wouldnt be able to run anything on your comp even the internet would be slow

7. _33

_33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    On the AMD 64 platform, having faster ram will always increase performance. But say performance between value ram and high performance ram usually spells no more than 5% to 8% faster overall performance.

On the other hand, switching from 512MB to 1GB will give you a lot more performance for your system in all cases and will lessen the occasionnal slowdowns. From 1GB to 2GB will spell little increase in performance but will let you run more apps at the same time without any slowdowns.

There are so much more to be said on the subject, but since I'm no expect, I went with pure experience here.

8. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you didn't have a DVD drive, how can you install games you buy from a store?

9. stealthfighter

stealthfighter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im saying it's one of the least important parts. You really don't need it to run unless you're installing os.

10. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    erm...please tell me your joking by that comment.

11. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dude...RAM stores temporarily all instructions that the CPU needs to and currently IS processing...RAM plays a major part in the performance of your system.

You might not worry about performance, but that doesnt make RAM any less important that it would be as a hardcore gamer. Without adequate ram your system runs strained, overclocking to decrease the strain is lame because you lose life on your hardware, increase heat and as a result get more noise...Which is why hardware is developed specifically for the gaming enthusiast, they dont want lag, noise, heat or low performance.

The least important part of your system is actually the case.

12. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol ok so more ram is better then good quality stuff :D...

and stealthfighter, that was a really bad comment :p...i have to agree with reven, your case is least important :p

Anyways, whats with the high vs low density RAM? high is so much cheaper, so there has to be a catch

13. KennyT772

KennyT772 New Member

Thanks Received:
    high quality ram isnt as important but in my oppinion it is a priority. i get roughly a 800point increase in 3dmark05 but my ram is killing me.

as far as timings go timings themselves arnt very important until you get into the hardcore area of computers. the timings however give a great indicator of how good your ram is. for example cl2 ram will be able to clock much higher then cl3 as you can loosen timings to allow higher speeds.
    however, if you are just building a system and do not plan to overclock and tweak the hell out of it get a 2x1gb dual channel kit. they are not that expencive and will be muuch better then a 2x512mb kit as far as down the road and gaming.

pinchy can u explain what you mean by your last statment?

14. Pinchy New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol yea about the high density ram thing...high density is far cheaper than low density. Its only compatible with certain motherboards/chipsets. I think its got to do with the chip configuration/ chip density.

High density ram is 128x4, where as low density is 64x8. As i said, low density works with all mobos, high density only works with cetain mobo's.

Ive heard high density is a LOT slower, thats why its cheaper, but im not sure. Ive also heard its the ram that could not be turned into low density, so its sold for a lot cheaper. Its like a pentium 4 that isnt fast enough, so they turn it into a celeron...Thats what ive heard.