1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RAM - which config is better?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by DCnewbie, Sep 3, 2008.

1. DCnewbie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Best Buy currently sells a Dell 530 with a Quad Duo Core Q9300, 6GB RAM, 750 SATA (7200 rpm) hard drive, ATI HD 2600 XT graphics card, Double layer & Multiformat DVD RW/CD-RW drive... all with Vista Home Premium at $899. Compared to Dell's prices this is a smoking deal! In looking closely at this config, I see that the 6GB of RAM is only a PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM. Am I correct in interpreting that this is around 667 MHz?

I can go with this Best Buy config and get this slower 6GB of memory or get 4GB of RAM from Dell.com which is: Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHZ-4DIMMs. WHICH WOULD BE BETTER for PERFORMANCE, pls?

DC
  2. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    4gb in dual channel is much better than 6gb.
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I'd opt for the latter of the two, due to being faster. Very very rarely will you need that high of capacity.

One other question that I am thinking: "Dude you're getting a Dell?" Why not diy-build?
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  4. DCnewbie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thnks... I might have to even spend more with Dell so this Best Buy option got me excited... I knew there was a catch when the price looked so good.

Now I need to figure out if I can afford the Q9300 or if the Q6600 is sufficient... do you know anything about processors, too? I assume so!

I am a 43 year old single business owner... female... I don't know how to build... 'Wish I did. I sold software for Oracle for 12 years but hardware and configuring is not my game...
  5. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Ahhh ....

If you wish there are quite a few members here that if you purchase the parts they will assemble for you, including myself.

As far as processors are concerned; This PC sounds like it is going to mainly be used for office/phot/video editing, is that true? If yes, then either of the 2 that is cheaper would work. Mainly for gaming? Dual core would suit just fine.
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  6. DCnewbie New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thx for the offer to build... I will probably place my order tonight... My other PC got a rogue virus on it... now it is being rebuilt - what a nightmare!!! I will not be gaming and don't anticipate gaming... For my recruiting business, I pull up over a hundred internet pages on some days and I'm on the PC for 12-14 hours some days. In parallel, I will do any of the above: download music, view video files, burn photos, build PDF files, email, etc... I don't use any graphic intensive applications. Should I go for the Q9300 or do you think the Q6600 will last me 2-3 years?
  7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    If you have the extra for the Q93, do it. ;)
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  8. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Either cpu will do you fine, tho the Q9300 is a bit more power efficient. Considering the amount of up time your machine is likely to see, that's something to consider.

And with that level of multi-tasking, a quad is the wise choice.

As far as viruses, if you ever have a problem like that again, post it here in the General Software section, and many people can help walk you thru the remedy. Don't ever go to somewhere like Geek Squad. lol.
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  9. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    +1 to what Wile E said. both of the CPUs would be just fine. If you are going to be using all that stuff then maybe 6gb would be better but i think 4gb should be fine. I don't even peak 40% usage when i have many web pages open (20-30+) and i am running 2gb. The 667mhz ram and the 800 wouldn't be that noticeable if your not gaming or benchmarking
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
    DCnewbie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I think your mistaken pos. The comparison was 667 and 800. Still 4GB of faster is better imo. :)
    DCnewbie says thanks.
  11. ntdouglas

ntdouglas New Member

Thanks Received:
    Which amount of ram is faster depends on how many dimms are being populated. If its 6g on 3 dimms then your running dual channel async which is slower. If your running 4g on 2 dimms then its dual channel sync mode. Jr is right.^ Now 8g on 4 dimms is true dual channel in sync mode also.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  12. p_o_s_pc

p_o_s_pc F@H&WCG addict

Thanks Received:
    sorry have had a long day. IMO 6gb of 667 is better. The difference between 667 and 800 isn't that great and most of the time isn't seen in everyday apps. that is just my $.2
    DCnewbie says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU