1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random BSOD and blackouts...help please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Starcrusher, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Starcrusher New Member

Thanks Received:
    I built this computer a couple of weeks ago and have been plagued with random crashes since I powered it up. Sometimes it will go for a long time playing very graphic intensive game so I dont think it is heat related although it might still be. I ran Memtest86 on it for about 10 hours and it found no errors in the memory. I am thinking the onboard sound drivers or maybe my antivirus software (Avast) are causing the crashes. Any thoughts or comments on the hardware are welcome since input is always informative. Thanks in advance.

Edit: All drivers and BIOS are updated to the latest versions possible. The reasons I'm looking at the sound and antivirus are that I have had several lockups where the sound went totally bananas when it locked and a couple of screen blackouts with lockups when I clicked on the error message I got from the antivirus when it tried to update.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Update Mobo drivers and BIOS. Usually on-board sound doesn't cause problems, but overall performance and sound could be improved with the addition of a soundcard. Memtest ran OK, but check Vdimm settings in BIOS to ensure your RAM is getting proper voltage. Run a check on the Hdd's checking for bad sectors etc. Check the error logs in Windows (CP > Administrative tools > event logs > system and process) for an error listing that happened at the same time as last BSOD. Post results.