• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random BSOD's + Crashing/Freezing in EAX Games-X-fi Problem?

Thrall

It all started out when i started playing bf2 again on my e2180, p5nsli, 2gb, 8800gt 256mb, x-fi, w/ a 500w psu gaming rig started crashing randomly. At first i thought it was the oc'ing-set it to stock and no dif. Then i thought it might be gpu temps but even @ 100% fan it still crashed or froze. I'm getting ahead of myself-whenever i play a game (mostly eax games like prey + bf2 but hl2:ep2 does it also) it crashes randomly to a memory read error (0x00542910 @ location 0xfffff4) or just freezes. I then thought to update to sp3-which was a mistake and i eventually uninstalled it because i had network problems. Now i think it's my fatal1ty x-fi, so i updated drivers and even tried beta ones (which sound horrible imho) with no success. I'm not totally sure what else it could be, maybe the psu (it's a nice thermaltake tr2) not having enough power during some parts in gaming, the x-fi just dying, or maybe the mobo from just being hot all the time (i have good airflow but it still runs a little hot-exact temps i'm not sure). I'd be happy to answer questions to help fix this annoying problem! Thanks for your help in advance!

KBD

Processor Intel e8600 @ 4.9 Ghz
Motherboard DFI Lanparty DK X48-T2RSB Plus
Cooling Water
Memory 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Buffalo Firestix DDR2-1066
Video Card(s) MSI Radeon HD 4870 1GB OC (820/950) & tweaking
Storage 2x 74GB Velociraptors in RAID 0; 320 GB Barracuda 7200.10
Display(s) 22" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB
Case Silverstone TJ09-BW
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Profesional
Power Supply Ultra X3 800W
Software Windows XP Pro w/ SP3
First, i think this belongs in the hardware section.

Second, from your description it is difficult to say what exactly is causing this. How long did you have this system? Is it brand new? Did you experience this or any other problem before, is this the first time?

If just the game crashes or freezes and system doesnt shut down or reboot (or does it?), i think that it is likely that the X-FI card is the source of your problem like you said. Other possibilities include RAM and video card. If you are using Vista, X-FI is notorioius for having problems with this OS, i recomend you try Creative forums or check the X-FI support thread in this forum to help you find a workaround.

Try to narrow down the component that is cuasing this, try booting with 1 stick of RAM, if problem persists try the other or another set. If you have another card you could try that also. I hope this helps you to solve your problem.

Thrall

I've had the system for about 1 year + for the last few months i've been throwing up random errors (about the time i got my x-fi card) which have been very seldom until lately. I memtest86'd the ram with no problems. The games either freeze in game or crash to desktop with an memory error (they change every time). I just uninstalled, switched pci slots, and reinstalled the card and it seems to have helped (maybe the mobos dying...which wouldn't bother me too much since it's horrible at overclocking) although some games still crash. I'm not sure how long the warranty is but i might just send it back in hopes for a refund or atleast a return because i haven't noticed a worthy performance difference when i installed it-although i like using it in BF2 for sound positioning. Are the x-fi gamers the only ones that support eax 5? Thanks for your help!