1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

random reboots w/ BSOD, help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by steiner666, Sep 27, 2007.

1. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, this problem started about a month ago I'd say. First off, my system is a dual-boot environment, with my Vista partition on my 2 WD Raptor drives in a RAID0 array on my NVraid controller. My XP partition is on my primary IDE driver, and the secondary is a storage drive.

I would be playing a game (R6 Vegas on Vista x64) on a LAN with my friend and my computer would randomly reboot.

This then turned into a problem where it would do it as soon as i boot into windows vista at all, unless it was in safe mode.

After doing multiple reinstalls on the OS, and multiple driver updates, Vista was finally able to run without problems. Or so i thought. When i try to have Vista rate my computer performance, it locks up and sometimes reboots when it gets like, a quarter of the way done.

It also crashes when I launch a map in R6. And, even more frustrating, my XP partition (which seemed to be working fine during all this) now crashes when I start R6 on it.

I tried running some stress tests today to troubleshoot it. ntunes 10 minute stability test passed, then i loaded Everest and had it test the following things:

CPU
    FPU
    cache
    memory
    storage disks

All of these would run fine and pass on their own, a couple would run together (CPU and FPU i remember being one, but memory and storage disks were definitely not able to run together). When i try running 3 or more, i get the same thing. My computer makes this clicking sounds, then I can hear this little whirl sound (assuming its my harddrives) start up right after it does, and it repeats that for a while.

Sometimes I get a BSOD, with "IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS" or something along those lines.

Needless to say, i've tried disabling the IDE drives (unplugging them and disabling the IDE controller in the BIOS) when i'm trying to get Vista to run on my SATA. And i've disabled my SATA when i try to get XP working on my IDE.

The computer is fully functional as far as listening to music, watching videos and moving and sorting files and all, but when i run stress tests or games it just reboots.

I cant figure this out... the problem isnt with my overclocks, cause first thing i did was reset everything to stock. It's not memory cause it's passed the memory tests, the CPU passed its tests. Its not exclusive to my SATA or IDE. And it happens even when my GPU isnt doing anything cept rendering my desktop and everest. Its not an OS issue because it happens in both versions of windows. Its not a heat issue, because my Everest sidebar gadget reports my CPU and GPU are well within their limits, even under stress. Is it a PSU problem? an IRQ conflict? I noticed that several things (GPU, SATA controller, sound card) were on the same IRQ in the post screen. I dont know how to change them if thats the problem.

someone help! i'm loosing my mind

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  2. d44ve New Member

Thanks Received:
    Does it reboot at stock settings?

EDIT : Did you change the settings for the MCP/SPP clock?

3. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, it does this on stock speeds, it just doesnt do it as quick it seems. Sometimes it would reboot during windows loading when it was overclocked.

and as far as adjusting those clocks, no i havent. i dont even see those options listed in my BIOS that i remember...

4. steiner666

steiner666 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007