1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random slowness to respond question.....

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DEFEATEST, Apr 19, 2011.

1. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, for a few months now it seems that my pc is slow to come back from hibernation or sleep . It's slow to respond from launching something like a game or a program. Gaming performance seems to be fine, but the games do seem to take longer to launch , not load , just launch. Say I launch fraps, it will take like 8 seconds to ask me if I want to launch the program. Screen goes black and then I wait. Same as coming back from sleep, used to be like a flash of a second to be on my desktop but now its like 5-8 seconds of the black screen, and then everything is back to normal. Any ideas would be appreciated.:respect:
    Oh and by the way it will stop acting this way after a few days then do it again in a week or two.
    Thanks.
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'd bet big money that you have the 99% bug that has been migrating its way into more and more 5xxx series cards. I get the same symptoms: the black screen, excessive load times coming back to the desktop, as well as excessive time to swap between monitors, but it games just fine. Counting myself, you are the fifth person in the last 3 weeks to have this. Luckily your symptoms are more annoying than detrimental.

Check your GPU load in the CCC or Afterburner when these symptoms arise, and I'm sure your 5870 will show 99%, even with nothing on. I have been able to remedy this by turning off GPU acceration in FF4 and IE9. With both off I haven't had anymore troubles, although this doesn't cure everyones.

A restart will also get rid of the bug for several hours. Mine would popup after my computer had been on for at least a day, or surfing the web on one monitor while watching movies on the other.
    DEFEATEST and Iceni say thanks.
  3. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    I don't think that problem is just with 5 series cards. My 6950 also does the same on ff4. And alt tabling from game to web is a nightmare! Will disable hardware accel and see if I get my speed back.
  4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i had that briefly here, i updated flash and turned off its hardware accel, and havent seen it since.
  5. gpost3

gpost3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    maybe it needs to be sold and GTX 460 needs to come in? :p
  6. Iceni

Thanks Received:
    I already had flashes HWA disabled, Yes FF$ HWA now disabled and it fires up snappy again on my old rig. And no problems ALT tabbing, and faster load times for the wow spash screen. TY for this thread.
  7. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Well turning off GPU acceration in FF4 seems to do the trick! Thanks for the tip MT Alex and everyone else for adding to the thread. You guys always save my a$$.

DEF
  8. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    Good deal:toast: