1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random System shutdowns after OC'ing my Opty....Undervoltage?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Paulieg, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I just OC'd my Opty 165 recently. I've tested it stable with Orthos Prime for 8 hours, and it seems stable. However, today while running several different programs, including folding@home my computer shut off completely. It did start right back up after 30 seconds by using the power button. Then a couple of hours later, I ran OCCT and folding@home at the same time. After OCCT completed its first minute of monitoring and started to load the CPU, immediately shut down again. It again turned right back on without any problem, and has been fine ever since (but I have not loaded the system heavy since the last shutdown). Could this be an undervoltage issue? It is currently at 2.67 Ghz at 1.4v. I do NOT think it's a power supply issue, as I'm running a Corsair HX620, only have one video card, and 2 HD's. Also, my temps are good 30 idle and 46 at full load (according to Smartguardian. Any ideas??

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I still haven't had anyone reply to my question. Can anyone help me with this??

3. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a corsair HX520 and the first one I got was defective so I wouldn't rule it out.

Also clock your CPU back to stock and see if it runs any better. With an opteron 165 your overclock depends a little on stepping but mine can do 2.8 at 1.36V so your 2.67 at 1.4 shouldn't be a problem.

4. Jimmy 2004

Jimmy 2004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Run Prime95 for a few hours in case any problems have developed, it could that the voltage is too low but I'd recommend lowering your overclock if the problems continue. Your RAM is another culprit - did you lower the divider or has the RAM been overclocked as well?

5. slicksickwilly New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ill bet it is a problem with power supply as it has all the symtoms of a fluctuating or undervolted rail..