1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Random Vista BSOD

Discussion in 'General Software' started by HomerPepsi, Dec 7, 2008.

1. HomerPepsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

I built my brother a computer a couple months ago, and since then he's been experiencing random BSOD at anytime running firefox, steam, games, etc.

His specs are:
    Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 32BIT sp1
    ASUS P5Q Pro crossfire mobo
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfeild proc
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB SATA2
    Corsair TX750W 750W ATX PSU
    SINGLE Palit Radeon HD 4870 Sonic Dual Edition
    2GB 2X1GB G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK PC2-8500 CL5-5-5-15 Dual Channel
    Logitech G5 Mouse

We bought Home 32bit edition due to my own driver experiences with XP Pro 64 and the many BSOD and crashes i got, and general better compatibility (?).
    Are the sources of his BSOD's bad hardware matching, faulty hardware or software related?

Thanks for the input

aaron
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    please go into the power managment area in control panel on that PC and tell it not to reboot on crash/error. Then when it BSOD's again write down the message and google it. 9 times out of 10 the answer will just jump right out at you.

Feel free to add the error message here and I will look around and see what the crash is about.
    There will be an arroe message in letters/words. It will say like STOP:..... that is followed by number codes, get those down too.
  3. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to read what the blue screen says before the PC restarts and type it here for us, because it could be anything you listed and we really don't have much to go on.
  4. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Depends on the BSOD, if the system is overclocked and not stable, crap drivers, there are a number of things that can cause a BSOD.

Personally I run Vista x64, much more support than XP x64 in my experience and also more stable in my experience than Vista 32-bit.

That seems like a pretty good build, but I'd like to know what BSOD codes you're getting, the one to find will be near the bottom, 0X00000124, 0X00000007, etc...you may have to set the rig to not restart when a BSOD is set so you can write the code down.

But a little more info may be needed. So this PC has been BSOD-ing since initial build/install? How long does it take to bsod? Will it bsod while sitting idle at desktop?

I'd say download, burn and run memtest as it's a major cause for many crashes if there's a bad chip, wrong setting, etc, also Vista is more touchy on stable OC's than XP...since you have no mention of overclocking on that rig I will assume there is no overclocking, though that P5Q-Pro is quite a good board for overclocking and Q6600's are a popular quad for overclocking...
  5. HomerPepsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    he has all latest drivers, I thought it may be a driver issue at first, but even after the updates it continued. His rig is not overclocked in any way. All stock.

Not to sure bout the event viewer tho, under system logs there were 26000, is there any way to narrow down which logs are what? I right clicked my computer --> advanced --> start up and recover --> and unchecked automatic restart under system failure in hopes he'd be able to write down the bsod codes that he gets.

Thanks for your input

aaron
  6. HomerPepsi New Member

Thanks Received:
    0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x8221f53a, 0x87b86a84, 0, 0000000) are his BSOD error codes

anyone have an idea?
  7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
  8. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    from what I gather on google with using that code...the links lead to ram issues.

Get him memset and burn an ISO and run it in DOS/BOOT from CD and see if error start showing up!