1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rapid storage technology

Discussion in 'Storage' started by prescient, Jul 26, 2014.

1. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    i cant get RST to work . it says an error message with a wrong platform thing .

it worked on a previous os instillation . i guess it even worked on this os at start until it gave an error message .

2. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Make sure you have the right version for your current OS. You might check if there's a bios setting to enable/disable.

Can you post the actual error message and verify you're on Win 8 Pro? If so you might need to find an older copy of RST since a few vendors have announced dropping support for 8 in favor of 8.1. I don't think Intel or Asus is one of those yet.

3. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Was the previous install also Windows 8 or did you just upgrade from something else? I would download the latest RST drivers from the internet. I don't know if the newest version likes to hide but for the latest version of RSTe for X79 requires you to hunt for the C600+/C220+ RAID driver instead as X79 is basically a C602J without vPro and the latest drivers aren't "released for X79" even though they work on it just fine.

4. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    it was just an older revesion of win 8.1 pro then i got a newer win 8.1 pro edition
    nothing works from all the RST drivers out there . the thing is it worked at start . strange
    in my older rig it did the same . it worked for a while then for no reason gave same messages

5. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Please do that, even take a screenshot.

Do you have a start menu installed? Search/Run "Event Viewer" and see if you can find any other errors/warnings that relate to RST. I've had 0 issues with my Z87 Pro, I can't imagine a higher-end board having any issues like this.

Again, maybe check that you have the right settings enabled in BIOS (check your mainboard's manual if you need more assistance with that part).

Is this the version you have tried installing? http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/sata/IRSS_Win7-8-8-1_VER4001068.zip

Maybe install IME first (the chipset driver), and then trying to install RST again? http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

You need to provide more details about this issue, simply stating it's not working isn't going to net you much help unless it's a more wide-spread and common issue. Even then, the more you provide and are capable of providing on your end, the easier and faster something can get resolved with some assistance.

:toast:

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
  8. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    sorry i didnt see the things you requested am a bit confused here is it

[​IMG]

also i attached you the log file . there is no event viewer errors .

as for the rest of the RST drivers i tried everything . reinstalling loading bios defaults , i tried it all

Attached Files:

• 4.txt
      File size:
      203.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Kursah says thanks.
  9. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    have u enabled RST in your bios prescient?

[​IMG]

here is where u find it.

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    what is that feature anyway, got it on this mobo but never found anything about what it did

11. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    It is hard drive management...gives you power save and performance options in software so you don't got to hunt them down at the two easy to find spots in Windows from what I gathered having it on my PC and laptop. I am sure Intel makes some wild claims about it too.

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Don't use the installer, install the RAID drivers manually in the device manager. Make sure to have system restore enabled so you can rollback the drive in case it prevents Windows from booting (like AMD's AHCI driver for the SB750 does ootb).

13. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    RST also alows you to use an SSD as cache for an HDD.

OP, make sure that your bios SATA mode is set to AHCI or RAID. RST doesn't work in IDE mode AFAIK. Also set Intel RST as enabled. If you updated your bios recently it might have reverted back to default values.

If you installed W8 in IDE mode, do this to change to AHCI/RAID without re-installing:

RAID mode is required for SSD caching.

Kursah says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    everything is in place . i dunno what is the issue , anyway what do i have to lose not using
    this suuka it hardley have any effect

15. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If you're not going to use RAID or SSD caching there's no incentive to install RST; it's just a management console, the storage driver can work without it.

EDIT: Wait, did you install the Intel INF chipset drivers? If the storage driver is missing W8 might be using a built in driver that is not supported by RST.

INSTG8R says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    Did you change the SATA plug positions on the MainBoard? Some boards have more than one SATA controller on them, and Intel's RST only works with Intel controllers.
    Make sure that all of your SATA drives are connected to ~only~ Intel controllers and not other brands, such as Marvel.

The motherboard on the system I'm using now ( Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3) has 6 Intel based SATA-III ports, and 2 that are controlled by a Marvel 88SE9172 chip.

17. prescient

prescient

Thanks Received:
    the guy assembled the pc at the shop , and his a pro , i didnt touch a thing actually .
    i did install the driver on the main board dvd called intel chipset driver .
    the amazing this driver played it on me for long time . with my previous machine it worked for a long time then stopped
    working . nothing was changed then when i brought this pc i installed it first thing . then i replaced the os with a newer one
    and it worked at start then stopped working i swear it was installed then it said the driver stopped working try to re install
    when i tried to do that it gave the this platform is not supported messages . what did change ? what a mystery intel
    i dont use ssd nor raid . to hell with it , i herd it makes the HDD head moves better lol but my head is more valuable at this time .

18. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    THIS is the correct version of RST for your system. If you've tried installing it and it doesn't work, maybe it's a good idea to ignore it. (something that you may already have decided to do) :peace:

19. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    ANY version of RST should work. Heck I am on a P67 chipset and just updated to the latest version last week. But then I am running RAID so it is actually useful to me. Single HDD's will see nothing from it.

20. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    The installer won't install the driver unless particular kind of hardware exists even if the driver itself will work. Device manager will let you install drivers even if Windows doesn't think it's the right one and I had to do this with my X79 RAID drivers when I used the C600+/C220+ RSTe driver which contained the latest RSTe driver. I couldn't use the installer because I have an X79 chipset and not a C600 or C220 series PCH and needed to manually install the RAID driver.

NOTE: RST won't install if the SATA mode is configured as IDE or AHCI, RAID mode needs to be enabled IIRC because AHCI and RAID use to very different drivers and IDE can use generic Windows drivers.

Theoretically I gained TRIM through RAID by doing this and not using the older version. I can't really tell the difference or if it actually did or not though. TRIM was always being "passed thru" even with the old driver but I wasn't sure if it was actually communicating it to the SSDs, but that's a distraction.

x79-raid.JPG

21. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    I got that version of the driver from the ASUS website, off of the "drivers download" page for the motherboard that he's using.
    If any version will work for him, that one should be it.

I remember when RST first came out, it was a PITA to get installed properly on my ASRock Z68 motherboards.

22. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Bad advice. He should download the driver right from Intel. It's less likely to have bugs or issues with it as it was released not that long ago. RST is RST, if it's running it will install.
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng&ProdId=2101

The last download is the installer exe, if you want to install it using device manager, download the first download "f6flpy-x64.zip".

23. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    Intel has this posted on that page,......................but what the hell do they know.

IMPORTANT:
    Before installing this application or requesting technical support from Intel, first contact your system manufacturer. They typically provide software which is specifically configured for your system.

24. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Old drivers have issues, I wouldn't be recommending this if I haven't experienced this myself. Considering I have a RAID-0 and RAID-5 on my X79 RSTe and I've found newer drivers to be much more stable than ones released 2 years ago, I like to think that I have some knowledge about what I'm talking about.

INSTG8R says thanks.
  25. RealNeil

RealNeil

Thanks Received:
    And I had an issue with the shiny new Intel drivers not working on my Gigabyte board. The ones posted on Gigabyte's site did.

Go figure,......