1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rare case of USB Device preventing Computer from Booting or Freezing while Loading OS

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ASRockIQ, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, i have recently been having issues left and right with my Computer Freezing or not given Booting. I got it mainly fixed but i found out something strange. It would appear when i had my Card Reader connected and my Wireless USB Adapter connected (with the USB Cord connected) the Computer would either Freeze while Loading the OS or not even Boot at all.

When the Card Reader was connected i had a 2GB SD Card in it and for some reason the Card wasn't being detected at all and Vista wasn't even detecting the Card Reader till after maybe 5min. after plugging it in. Also, the OTHER strange thing is when i had my USB Wireless Adapter plugged in WITH the USB Cord the Computer wouldn't even Boot or it would Freeze like above. When i finally just Connected the Wireless Adapter by itself Windows Loaded Fine with no Freeze/Lock Ups (And yes, i don't have the Card Reader Connected right now). idk but i'd hate to say this but would it be a PSU issue? I was playing L4D and Killing Floor Fine last night with my XFX 4850 OC'ed. What is going on here?! :(

Side Note: has the latest ATI Drivers been causing anybody any issues lately? Like lock Ups or anything? At first though i thought it was the OC'ing from Catalyst causing the issue but i guess it wasn't
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. Sir_Real

Sir_Real New Member

Thanks Received:
    Think its a case of your pc is trying to boot up from the SD card in the usb card reader. Try turning off USB Legacy Support in your mobo bios settings.
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Leave USB legacy support on if you want any older usb devices to be recognized. Some USB keyboards won't function correctly or not at all in the bios startup, if this is disabled.

Check your boot order in the bios. Try hard drive first; cd/dvd second/, but usb not at all or last.

Edit: No problem here with the 9.8 cat or ccc, actually better; I can now set the refresh for the monitor to 60, where it keep going back to 59 before, no big deal, but it is right now.
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    i had this same problem fixed it from changing my bios boot to HD, CD/DVD works perfectly. I have cat 9.8 i gained a couple fps is some games works perfect
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've seen this before on a PC, the motherboard had a jumper to set USB to the 5V or 5VSB (standby) rail.

That PSU's 5V SB rail was weakening and couldnt handle it, so changing the jumper (and later, the PSU) fixed it.
  6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    It happened to me with my 360 controller
  7. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    more of an update here...

it seems when i upped my VCore Voltage the Freezing stopped. heh, maybe 1.35 wasn't enough for 2.9GHZ. still going to do more testing with the USB Devices
  8. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why do people keep overclocking there video cards with slow cpu's lol, its pointless its called bottleneck lol
  9. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    as others have told me with the 4850 i should be fine.
  10. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it its a great card, but there's no need to overclock it though, u wont get no speed gains, if fact u will be bottle necking your cpu even more
  11. ASRockIQ

ASRockIQ New Member

Thanks Received:
    i have My CPU OC'ed @3.1GHZ but i know that probably doesn't mean much right? the GPU did in fact run better while OC'ed on L4D
  12. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    lol course u will see speed gains when u overclock your cpu/memory, but even at 3.1ghz your still bottle necking your card
  13. The_Real_DeaL31 New Member

Thanks Received:
    run one pass of 3dmark 06, i can almost guarantee u will only get 11k max