1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Raw Deal from Mushkin Memory

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by bobyjo, Sep 22, 2005.

1. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    RawDeal from Mushkin Memory
    I finally heard from Diane, she actually wants me to pay a restocking fee of $19.50 to return this new RMA'ed memory and pay the difference between the Blue line 2-3-3-6 to the Blue TCC5 sticks.

THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!!!

I am not gonna pay a restocking fee on memory that I told Diane would not work, before she sent to me.

l talked to her this past Thursday, and tried to tell her the memory would not work.
    She cut me off, and told me the new memory would be here Mon or Tues. Then she hung up.
    I will post this on every forum I belong to if they do not make this rignt with me.
    THAT IS A PROMISE, not a threat. BJ

2. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    Dude.. mushkin isnt nuts. If you're going to bash them, atleast post the whole story, not a random spam from the middle of an RMA issue.

What ram did you RMA? and why do they need to swap kinds? why does it not work? ive yet to see a mobo not like any of my mushkin ram.. even my DFI plays very nicely with the value-ist of value ram.

3. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please don't call me "Dude", I am a Texan, if I was from NewYork or somewhere that might work. When I first started the build of the AV8, I called Mushkin for memory that will work in dual channed. I talked to Diane (customer service mgr) and she is the one that suggested the memory I purchased. This memory refused to work in the AV8.
    I called tech people at Mushkin and was told there was nothing wrong with thier memory, they did not support the AV8.
    No offer for refund, replacement, nothing except I should try a different mobo.
    I went through three nF3 Ultra boards, the memory worked with those boards, but would not run above 200.
    I had to run the memroy below default speeds in order for the board to run.
    When I decided on building anyther AV8, I looked on thier site and LOW & BEHOLD the K8T800 is listed as certified to run on this board, Blue Line HP. Same memory that I have.
    I called and was given a RMA by Diane, I returned the memory and they tested the memory and found it defective.
    Diane told me they were going to send a new set of memroy sticks of the Blue Line.
    I asked her what were we to do, if the memory refused to work.
    She said the reason the memroy would not work was because it was defective.
    The memory does not work, that is why I asked for a replacement with a memory that had TCCD or TCC5 chips, because they will work.

4. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi B.J.
    George has agreed that we will offer you an opportunity to exchange those modules for $58.50 plus shipping.
    This amount is the difference in today’s price between 991433 (2 x 512mb blue) and 991357 (2 x 512 xp3200 with Samsung tcc5 chips) which is $39.00 , and a 15% restocking fee of $19.50 for a total of $58.50.
    Shipping terms are either $16 for overnight, $9 for 2day and $6 for 3-5day.
    You can return the product again to Mushkin:
    Attn RMA 71400
    333 W Colfax Ave Ste 400
    Denver CO 80204

This is the actual copy of the email from Diane about the exchange sticks. I feel if they will remove the restocking fee and shipping, I would propably pay the difference. I have already been out over $20 shipping the memory back to them 2nd day.

5. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have filed a complaint with the BBB yesterday. Don't know what will come out of this.
    Seems as they don't have any complaints left unresolved. Maybe they will come around.
    All I ask is Mushkin replaces this memory with sticks that works with the AV8.
    I don't really feel that price should be a factor in this.
    If Diane had told this (a different) memory will work in your AV8, the cost will be $120.00 for a dual channel kit.
    I wouild have purchased that memory and this problem would not ever have come to light.

6. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    I saw your post over at the mushkin forum... e-mail tom... he will get it taken care of for you.. :)

7. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did email Tom, he discussed this with Diane and George.
    They have persuaded him that I am lying about calling Tech Support a couple of days after the memory was delivered to me.
    So the complaint stands, I don't know where to go from here. NO ONE will buy this stuff for any reasonable price.
    I have posted it on 4 forums.
    People inquire about it and check the compatability of it and back out.
    I don't blame them if there is a hint of a posibility that this memory would not work in thier system.

8. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    if its been so long.. I'm assuming you have a phone bill.. right? try looking it up? ;)

9. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    When I pay our phone bill, I throw away the bill that contains a list of all calls made. I have ordered a copy of our bill during the period of time that the calls were made. This way I can prove that I called, I don't really think that will make any difference to Diane and George. But at least I will have the proof I called. Thank You BJ

10. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    If not proving them 100% incorrect, you dont think will help, you'd sure make one bad lawyer then. :p

11. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I received an email from Tom, stating "return the memory to Mushkin and pay the $39.50 difference. Then they will send the TCC5 chip sticks. This is fair, this is the difference between the Blue and Black sticks.

12. Megatron New Member

Thanks Received:
    In today's prices, but when u bought ur memory it was probably more expensive (more expensive than the set you are recieving?) in this case you are still getting a raw deal.

I remember buying a 9700pro and after 2 years I took some ram sinks off it to upgrade to a 9800pro, it just killed it and wouldnt run 3dmark2k1 stable. I returned it and got my £270 odd that I paid not the £50 it was probably worth then.

13. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    reasons like this i dont stray from the big players. ;)

not only do i want a good product but i also want good service afterwards. :)

i can honestly say the thoughts i had about purchasing some redlines have vanished. :mad:

no mushkin for me :cool:

14. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    my mushkin is perfectly.. fine.. RMA'd in notime.. :)

15. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am happy with the deal they offered. Today's prices Blue as a -$ and the Black Extreme +$ it is a difference of $39.50. I am willing to pay thie for TCC5 chips on the sticks. I am getting a better memory and is compatable with several boards. Where as the Hynix chips on the Blue is directly oposite. Good deal for me. IMO:

16. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Now I feel sorta ripped off again.
    I had placed my upgrade order already when a large company from some other country ordered a huge order of TCCD memory.
    They sold 100% of thier stock to them and placed my order on backorder.
    They are telling me that a shipment should be received probably Monday 10/10/05.
    The wifes system is running with Corsair memory in it, but I really wanted to get the proper memory installed asap.
    I have no choice but to wait till next week.

17. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:

tccd isnt "publicly" available to these guys.. samsung has a contract with corsair to make TCCD... not for anyone else, so availability for TCCD has become scarce..

They have their ways of buying it, and probably from samsung, but samsung probably doesn't want to make a ton of sdr, as most memory manf's are trying to scale up DDRII, and GDDR rather than reg ddr...

18. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was reading an article a few weeks ago.
    This article stated that TCCD was back in full production.
    The demand is so great, the availability is much better now than a few months ago.
    I wish I could find the article, I just do not remember where it was.

19. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    interesting..

the impression ive had from reps recently was tccd and BH was being a pain in the butt to get in large amounts of decent yields...

20. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was under that impression also, probably because something I had heard a few months ago.
    Now these chips are in full production, I don't know if there has been a different mfg process or what. I know Patriot and Mushkin are using BrainPower PCB's.
    I can tell you that everyone is carrying TCCD chips on some model of thier sticks.
    Most everyone has them priced a little high, due to the demand of them.
    The Patriot memory company is selling thiers below $160 for a 1gb kit.
    Mushkin is selling thiers for $180, OCZ and Corsair are in the $200 range.
    Patriot has thier DDR600 for sale on the Egg for $180.
    They may have started selling like the big guys do.
    When I ordered my XBLK sticks they were advertising that PC3200 was 2,2,2,5,1T & PC4400 was 3,4,4,8,1T but the same sticks.
    As of Monday this week, they have them seperated on the Egg $160-$180,
    Still not a bad deal.

21. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Diane sent an email with a tracking #, they shipped the TCC5 memory yesterday. Delivery is scheduled Monday. YEA

22. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    The memory was delivered Monday morning.
    I have it installed, have tried every conceivable timing arrangement and voltage.
    This memory will not run at 1T.
    Diane told me the memory would be compatable with the Patriot memory I have in my system.
    This Patriot will run 2,2,2,5,1T 24x7 never a problem.
    I have the Mushkin running at 2,2,2,5,2T.
    I called Mushkin Tech guys and got a runaround, then the guy just left me hanging on the phone.
    I was talking to no one. I don't like this at all.
    All I wanted to know was there something I have not done that would allow this memory to run at 1T.

23. Dippyskoodlez

Thanks Received:
    what size sticks? test the ram seperately and if it runs 1t, then your ram is fine.

Its most likely your CPU limiting you to 2t, not the ram, unless it wont run 1T using just that stick.

Please give up more specific info rather than "the mushkin stick" in you post, as I dont have time to search through the 4 pages to see what size stick >_>

24. bobyjo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Patriot XBL runs at 1T without a problem. I don't know why the Mushkin refuses to run at
    1T. I tried one stick at a time, no 1T that way either. I suppose the wife will have to be satisfied with the setting of 2T, she never complains as long as the system keeps running stable. As long as never a problem, she is very happy. I think I will just leave it this way.

25. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Bottom line: Buy OCZ!!! :p

Sry to hear about your problem. I got 2 sticks of OCZ Gold BH5 (1GB Kit) and the sticks started causing errors in MemTest at 212MHz 2-2-2-5. I told OCZ, and they sent me a BRAND NEW KIT in A WEEK!!! I had to pay to ship it out to them ($9). These sticks work GREAT! I will never buy from anyone but OCZ again.

GL with ur Mushkin problem!
    Danish