• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer DeathAdder

Processor i7 2600k@4.6ghz
Motherboard MSI z68ma-ed55
Cooling Silentx Extreem 120mm
Memory 2x4gb XMS 7-8-7-20 1600
Video Card(s) HD6870
Storage 2x128gb Kingston Hyper-X (Raid0), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1), 2x750gb RE3 (RAID1)
Display(s) Soyo 24", Gateway 22"
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini 6x120mm fans.
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Zalman 750w
Software Windows 7
Has anyone ever knoticed that the closer the eye is to the top of the mouse the more finger tip control you have? I hate mice with the eye all the way at the back because I tend to rock my thumb and fingers for more accurate aim and if the eye is in the back the crosshairs actually move backwards. It feels like I'd have to move my whole arm back and forth to get the crosshair to move right. Try it you'll see what I mean. It also looks like that razor comes with yet another startup utility/driver to consume resources. Hmmm. I need a new mouse though. I guess I can buy one then take it back when it sucks. :)

Well the Razer driver consumes 2MB of memory, which is average. The sensor placement is good with the DeathAdder because it's in the center of the mouse.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
I have this mouse and it works GREAT with my new Icemat gaming surface, best feel/smoothness/control I ve ever used... but than again this is my 1st real gaming mouse, (had a mx1000 before) and the control/feel I get is nothing short of spectacular.

TwystedMonkey

Ummm I have owned a Deathadder for about 6 months now and I actually agree with the 10/10. All of you guys who keep saying its not worth it kinda irritate me because you are obviously Logitech fanboys and thats your own perogative BUT the mouse got a 10/10 deal with it. The logic that just because the DA got a perfect review the 518 deserves one to is immature to the point where its kinda sad. Its like listening to elementary school students argue over which superhero is better. Its a moot point. I am not gonna say anything REALLY bad about Logitech mice I have used 2 of them over the years and been fairly happy with there performance but call me superficial when it came to getting a gaming mouse I found there's ugly. That and when I atcually when into the store and held one in my hand it was uncomfortable. So I know its been a long time since this mouse came out and that more than likely know will care a lick about this anymore I just wanted to add my two cents. A good review and I share his opinion but maybe instead of bitching about the fact that you don't just ask questions and attempt to understand it.

Processor Q6600 G0 @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard Asus p5k-Premium/Black Pearl
Cooling Luna Block, 240mm rad
Memory Patriot Extreme PC2-6400 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Saphire 5850 1GB
Storage 60GB SSD + 2x500GB/1TB/2TB
Display(s) Samsung 226BW and 50" Panasonic S2
Case Silverstone TJ-09
Audio Device(s) X-fi Prelude
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy Dxx 850watt
Software Windows7 32Bit
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 1M 14.333
Yeh the mouse works flawlessly, you know what your buying when you buy it.. 2 buttons. Its a very comfortable mouse especially if your used to Logitech mice, some razor fanatics prefer the feel of finger mice like the Copperhead.

One problem I have sometimes had with mine but not anymore was the right clicker being to sensitive and clicking twice closing a IE tab.. but that hasent happened in a long time since someone pointed out that razor mice can do that.. weird eh ohwell that an extra perk for gaming with Razor mice, nicely sensitive to press.

ginbong

Processor Q6600 stock
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA X38 chipset "standard"
Cooling Thermaltight Ultra-120 eXtreme with Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Memory Corsair 2x1gig 800mhz cas4 DHX XMS2
Video Card(s) ASUS 8800GTS 512mb stock clocks
Storage WD7500AAKS 750gb / Seagate 160GB
Display(s) Samsung 2232BW "C" with calibration file
Case Thermaltake Armor Aluminum
Audio Device(s) Supreme FXII came with max formula
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4497217 futuremark06 - 15156
Hi, I have been using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A for over 4years now on a wooden smooth surface. I am currently looking for a "gaming" mouse and i had my eyes on the Razer DeathAdder or the Lachesis.

I originally was looking at the Microsoft Habu and some Logitech's but gimmicks like weight distribution is meant for motorsport racing and not for PC mouses in my opinion because i like my mouse to be light and i need fast flicking movements to track running enemies. :laugh:

Anyway, i am a FPS player with a medium sized hand i suppose, right-handed and a FPS player with very low sensitivity (1.5 in CSS), i like to semi-claw grip the mouse but my palm is slightly touching the back of the mouse too. i hope that helps you understand how i play. I live in Australia and these mouses aren't just lying around in department stores. Specialty shops sell them online. So I have no chance to have a try before buying.

Now i came across this review of xsreviews on the Lachesis http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/razer-lachesis/4/

He stated that there is a problem with the tracking on soft-mats when he presses the trigger to shoot and the mouse digs into the mat ever so slightly and has irregular cursor movements making it hard for the second bullet to hit.

So i am asking your opinions on which mouse should i pick up instead, i am not interested in profiles as i will be using one sensitivity throughout a game like CSS or any other shooter. But the Lachesis' problem stated by xsreviews could be a problem on a soft-mat.

Do you think if i bought the Razer Destructor plastic hard-mat that problem with the Lachesis will be eliminated? And do i really need 4000DPI? I am a low res gamer after-all... Do you think the 1800DPI and right-handed ergonomics of the DeathAdder would suite me better?..

Sorry for the very long reply, but i wanted to give as much information as possible so you can understand the situation i am in.

Thanks to anyone who replies :D

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
Hi, I have been using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A for over 4years now on a wooden smooth surface. I am currently looking for a "gaming" mouse and i had my eyes on the Razer DeathAdder or the Lachesis.

I originally was looking at the Microsoft Habu and some Logitech's but gimmicks like weight distribution is meant for motorsport racing and not for PC mouses in my opinion because i like my mouse to be light and i need fast flicking movements to track running enemies. :laugh:

Anyway, i am a FPS player with a medium sized hand i suppose, right-handed and a FPS player with very low sensitivity (1.5 in CSS), i like to semi-claw grip the mouse but my palm is slightly touching the back of the mouse too. i hope that helps you understand how i play. I live in Australia and these mouses aren't just lying around in department stores. Specialty shops sell them online. So I have no chance to have a try before buying.

Now i came across this review of xsreviews on the Lachesis http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/peripherals/razer-lachesis/4/

He stated that there is a problem with the tracking on soft-mats when he presses the trigger to shoot and the mouse digs into the mat ever so slightly and has irregular cursor movements making it hard for the second bullet to hit.

So i am asking your opinions on which mouse should i pick up instead, i am not interested in profiles as i will be using one sensitivity throughout a game like CSS or any other shooter. But the Lachesis' problem stated by xsreviews could be a problem on a soft-mat.

Do you think if i bought the Razer Destructor plastic hard-mat that problem with the Lachesis will be eliminated? And do i really need 4000DPI? I am a low res gamer after-all... Do you think the 1800DPI and right-handed ergonomics of the DeathAdder would suite me better?..

Sorry for the very long reply, but i wanted to give as much information as possible so you can understand the situation i am in.

Thanks to anyone who replies :D

just my take on it, but, considering what a gaming mouse is designed for - in performance, precision and sensitivity - I'd personally recommend using a hard mousing surface with a gaming mouse to begin with. Cloth is fine for everyday use, but when once takes into account how your mouse movement can be a little more 'forceful' when gaming, you don't really want your mouse pad to give to much - you'd either be pressing into it, or could potentially shift the mouse pad which would throw you off.

Most of the hard surface mouse pads stay put really well, and don't slide around the desk easy. Plus, the teflon feet of the mouse will slide across the surface of a gaming mat with very little resistance.

As to the DPI and polling rate settings - each gamer typically has their own settings. the higher the DPI and polling rate, the more precise the mouse becomes, meaning you have to move the mouse less to achieve a certain amount of movement on screen. Most of those settings, though, will have very little effect or are even noticeable unless you're in game.

Being able to adjust the DPI, though, can prove useful with older games. I've had experiences before where having my DeathAdder set to 1800 DPI will result in a jittery or choppy movement on screen. In newer titles, it'll allow for very precise control.

Although, a gaming mouse is so different to a conventional optical mouse in it's sensitivity and all, that it'll take some time to get used to.

As to the ergonomics of the DeathAdder - it just fit. I tend to game with my palm fully rested on the back of the mouse, and my fingers lay across the front buttons, and I tend to use middle section of my fingers to actually click the buttons, instead of my fingertips. But, I found the DeathAdder to be comofortable enough, that my middle finger rests across the scroll wheel - meaning I have 3 fingers laying over the top of the mouse, instead of just two. Very comfortable mouse, even for my large hands, so comfortable you kinda forget it's there . . .

I couldn't tell you how the Lachesis is though, as I haven't had a chance to use one yet

ginbong

Processor Q6600 stock
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA X38 chipset "standard"
Cooling Thermaltight Ultra-120 eXtreme with Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Memory Corsair 2x1gig 800mhz cas4 DHX XMS2
Video Card(s) ASUS 8800GTS 512mb stock clocks
Storage WD7500AAKS 750gb / Seagate 160GB
Display(s) Samsung 2232BW "C" with calibration file
Case Thermaltake Armor Aluminum
Audio Device(s) Supreme FXII came with max formula
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Windows XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4497217 futuremark06 - 15156
thanks for the reply, im still not convinced though..

i would like some feedback on lachesis users too :)

btw DPI does not mean accuracy... the sensor is accurate on 400 or 4000DPI, it just means the higher your DPI setting is, the less mouse movement you need to cover a certain distance and it is related also to your resolution.. DPI is almost like sensitivity.. i hope you understand my explanation. you try searching for articles about "DPI"

i read that on countless other myth busting articles and also on tomshardware
www.fragyou.net/?page_id=24

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
thanks for the reply, im still not convinced though..

i would like some feedback on lachesis users too :)

btw DPI does not mean accuracy... the sensor is accurate on 400 or 4000DPI, it just means the higher your DPI setting is, the less mouse movement you need to cover a certain distance and it is related also to your resolution.. DPI is almost like sensitivity.. i hope you understand my explanation. you try searching for articles about "DPI"

i read that on countless other myth busting articles and also on tomshardware
www.fragyou.net/?page_id=24

I never said accurate - precision and accuracy are two different things (although similar in definition) . . .

to quote myself from my previous post:

imperialreign said:
As to the DPI and polling rate settings - each gamer typically has their own settings. the higher the DPI and polling rate, the more precise the mouse becomes, meaning you have to move the mouse less to achieve a certain amount of movement on screen.

forevertrj

DeathAdder Liftoff FIX for black surfaces

HELLO EVERYONE, i just bought a deathadder today and suffice to say I was very upset about the liftoff distance my shot was off and the mouse kept on jumping every time i would make the slightest adjustment, i emailed razer and of course they say they'll get back to me, but in the mean time I experimented and have found the solution, if you take a piece of electrical tape and cut it in a half moon shape and place it approx. 3mm from the top round part where the black cut out curvature where the optical eye sits NOT the indentation after the sliver tape. make sure the tape is horizontal and the half moon is fitted on the bottom part of the optical hole where it looks more like the base of a triangle, now if you place the tape LESS THAN 2.5mm from the optical cutout (rounded part) to the tape part, you will have VERTICAL issues and the mouse will not track at all or will be very bad (VERTICALLY) not horizontally, so watch out for this, otherwise I did not see any issues with horizontal/vertical tracking at all when the tape is place properly, also the half moon shape cut will prevent the tape from rubbing on your mouse pad surface and as for the tape being pushed in or indented towards the infrared light i wouldn't worry about it but try to make the tape as flat as possible over the hole. Hope this helped if you want more advice please feel free to contact me at gamecrash@gmail.com, I also have a picture of my mouse linked here " http://startdownload.filefront.com/...5aca8962ae07d67dc17fc13934efd036f7030dbc196// "

Last edited:

Studabaker

System Name Built Entirely With Parts From CompUSA
Processor E7400 2.8 @ 3.6 [9.0*400/1.31v]
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Cooling Masscool 8WA741
Memory 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 800 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) BFG 9800GTX+OC; GTS250 BIOS
Storage 2x WD 250GB AAKS in RAID0!
Display(s) 19" I-Inc LCD @ 1440x900
Case Ultra X-Blaster Clear Side
Audio Device(s) Audigy with X-Fi drivers; Logitech X-540s
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Vista 32-Bit
After several weeks of using the DeathAdder I can definitely say it is an amazing mouse and definitely the best I've ever used.

To anyone concerned about the slippery sides, well, be concerned, because it bugs me all the time when my palms get sweaty during gaming. That is the only thing I don't like about the mouse. You'd think a company that designs gaming mouse would have not made that mistake.

I still love the mouse though.

System Name KAREN / EVA / GHOST
Processor Intel Core i7-950 / AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE / Core i5 3570k
Motherboard ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 / DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH / Asrock z77e-itx
Cooling Thermaltake Frio / Corsair Cooling™ Hydro Series H50 / Corsair Hydro Series H60
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Dominator Quad2X4096-8500C5DF / G.SKILL Ripjaws Serie 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD6950 CF unlocked /XFX HD5770 CF/ MSI R4890 Cyclone
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD / Seagate Barracuda /Western Digital 80gb, Toshiba 1TB
Display(s) 2 Acer P215H 21.5 Widescreen / Acer S211HL 21.5 / HP 2009F 20inch
Case SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW / NZXT Phantom /Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) On board / Philips MMS 321 - PC multimedia speakers
Power Supply Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000W / Cosair CMPSU-750TX 750W/ CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W
Software Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit
I have had the DeathAdder for a few months I am having some issues with it the side buttons wont program in some games. Well can blame the games I guess wouldn’t say it’s a 10 though as I am sure there are better mice out there.

My brother has the RAZER LACHESIS I must say I am impressed by that mouse but the price is too high. Drivers and firmware for the Razer seem to be not so great he bricked his RAZER TARANTULA and was told to go kick rocks by me I cant fix it :laugh:. He will have to RMA it. I worry about the firmware it seems it's very easy to brick your product. I give my Adder a 8 out of 10.

Bokteelo

I've got a DeathAdder, but it's not so great for claw grippers like me. I'm thinking of buying a Diamondback 3G.