1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Razer Onza XboX 360 Controller

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ViperXTR, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    Anyone use this? My 7 year old Logitech Rumblepad 2 broke down few weeks ago, and was looking a repalcement. I got a Logitech F510 which is similar with the rumblepad2 but with Xinput support (along with d input), however it has large deadzones that is pretty annoying (considering im used to the zero deadzone of the rumbleapd2). Logitech mentioned that it merely followed the Xinput spec for having such deadzone and offers no fix so i tossed it away and got myself a used rumblepad 2.

And so i found about this Razer Onza (and with the tourney edition) some folks say its pretty good and no deadzone, i wonder how they perceive how the deadzone was, since for me i onnly need to touch the analog stick of the rumblepad2 to have a pixel sized input in it (the F510 required a bit of push before any input is registered and when it registers, it oes way off the center quickly, very bad for some games and racers for me)
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    just buy a microsoft one... best controller available imo
  3. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    if im not mistaken, the original microsoft one had bad/large deadzones, and like i mentioned i dont liek such large deadzones, thats why im lookin at razer onza if it eliminated that issue.
  4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    The tournament edition allows you to adjust the tightness of the analogue sticks which is good because you want a loose tension for FPS and tight for precision in racing games (corners ect).
    The controller is covered in a rubber like coating for grip.
    Also has an extra set of shoulder buttons that you can macro via holding in a button on the other side of the controller. Long cable and a cable means no input lag.
    D pad is good certainly better than the one on the original 360 controllers, still not brilliant for fighters.

Yes i would recommend it if you don't mind the price. It starts to pay off in terms of being robust and feeling quality much like a rubber dome keyboard compared to a mechanical one.

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=30216
  5. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    I have it and its good and all but I really don't like the triggers.
    The triggers are really mushy and the curve of them hurts my fingers on the other hand the A,B,X,Y buttons are amazing.
    I haven't noticed dead zone on my xbox.
  6. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    @KieranD: thanks but im already aware of the features as stated by several folks and actual info form their site but the one thing that is mostly not being mentioned is the deadzone settings. I want to know if it actually has non existent/zero deadzone in the analog sticks that i loved in my rumblepad 2. (and perhaps deadzone settings in the triggers as well).

@Conti027: as in absolute zero? just meaking sure since some folks say they dont notice it as well on their pads but i manage to test the F510 and it does exist, and pretty large one as well. I wanted a stick where i only place my thumb and a pixel sized input would already register (rumblepad 2 has this without being too twitchy and being off centered).
    There was a video on youtube showing an F510 and its deadzone as well.
  7. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to test it on my computer so I'll get back to you in a little bit
    ViperXTR says thanks.
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    No problem, i think it works well as the analogues don't go off centre like how my 360 controller does because ive used it so much.
  9. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    @Conti027: thanks, some folks usually test it using DX Tweaker/joystick utilities or a sim racing game (such as GTR, LFS) as these have real some parameters in detecting analog input range (-255, 0, 255) ideally it wont skip to 5 or 10 if you shift the analog stick to the right, rather it would go at most 1 or 2 first with just a touch.

The Logitech F510 is almost perfect for me. Xinput support (detected as xbox 360 compatible pad) d input support (for old games, switchable to xinput with theough a switch in the back), PS dual shock layout style, floating d-pad, high resistive analog triggers, awesome built courtesy of Logitech...except that the deadzone sucked :\
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  10. Conti027

Conti027

Thanks Received:
    Looks like DXTweaker 2 is picking up every little movement.
    I played a few games and they all had deadzone but I'd say it because they where made to have deadzone.
  11. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    hmm, is it more sensitive than this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXReJqf10N8
    notice how the joystick is already moving but no input was detected until it was tilted further...
    My rumblepad2 required a very small nudge for those values to move, and in very small increments.
  12. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Then buy a rumblepad 2?

A standard x360 controller is more then enough for 99.9% of a gamers needs...

Sorry people like u annoy me, we give u the info you need but shit isnt good enough.
  13. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    i already mentioned in my first post that i already have a new rumblepad2 (or rather, used), and i apologize if i annoyed you folks if i asked too much info, i was just lookin for a decent xinput pad with zero deadzone capabilities and i found out that the F510 which is also based on the X360 spec has the deadzone issue, in which it followed (which is not provided in majority of the reviews ive seen). I just dont want to waste any more cash on a peripheral that is not to my liking.
  14. seronx

seronx

Thanks Received:

Gamer review but oh wells

Watch the guy in the background
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Don't worry, you aren't doing anything wrong... that razer onza tourney looks nice! From my research on google, everyone says there is NO deadzone at all
  16. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I would buy the stock...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  17. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    [yt]gE2phSLc-Ug[/yt]

I think the TE version is worth it.

- illuminated ABXY
    - Rubberized feel
    - Rubberized sticks
    - braided cord
    - Adjustable stick thingy
    - less high sticks compared to Standard Edition
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  18. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    yeah it sounds good on paper but isn't practical.

my custom XBOX 360 controller has new silicone analog sticks, LED, raised d-pad and turbo. it didn't cost me very much.

[​IMG]
  19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    but the ABXY buttons look so much better! the price isn't that steep, I can get it for 41$ CAD + 5% tax for the TE and 29.66$ for the SE. not much over the X360 controller! That's one hell of a modded controller you got there ;)
    BumbleBee says thanks.
  20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    another member has a custom XBOX 360 controller. you can order the parts and assemble yourself or customize and order preassembled but it cost more.
  21. ViperXTR

ViperXTR

Thanks Received:
    thanks for the inputs (still no mention of deadzone on the review hehe) oh well, ill consider the Onza if it really has zero deadzone, ill stick to my trusty ol rumblepad2 for a while.

Oh btw, sample of the reasons i like to have analog sticks to have zero deadzone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN2s-DK2jHo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DGms5dxKOU

By no means im a very good racer, but i like the car to be fully under my control when it comes to it. Im actually using a wheel profile in the game instead of gamepad profile as it makes the steering much more responsive to my liking. If i do that on my F510 i would crash immediately due to the deadzone :D