1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE - General information and discussion

Discussion in 'RBE' started by BAGZZlash, Mar 9, 2008.

1. 2r4z0r2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    can this tool change the voltages on ati 3870x2 cards?

2. bichonn New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have one of those ASUS EAH 3870/G (not the top!) with Hynix memories, combined with a Connect3d! The crossfire is working fine, but ...:
    This ASUS has a two wire fan (called Glaciator) and this fan is always running 100%.
    I also noticed that RBE shows that the PWM ramp is ON!

Question:
    -Is it normal to have a PWM ramp ON with a 2 wires fan?
    -Will the fan regulate if I change the setting from all-the-time-100% to different values according to the temp?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Edit: I have tried different bios from different manufacturer, but it always comes out with bugs! I guess it is because of the hynix memories chips!

3. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    If the hardware supports it, yes. Unfortunately, I suppose your card (i.e. its voltage transformer) does not support higher or even freely programmed voltages at all. Therefore, I think you have to pencil- or hardmod to gain more voltage.

The fan controller is built into the GPU. So even your card has one, and it can be programmed by the BIOS. Therefore, it can be programmed to use PWM ramp or not. However, your card does not use its fan controller for it uses a two-wired power connected fan only. There's no way to do something about it on software level, sorry.

bichonn says thanks.
  4. 2r4z0r2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so NONE of the 3870x2 boards support the software voltage increase? can anyone confirm this? or is there someone who successfully softmodded the voltage increase? :)

5. bichonn New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a lot for this clear answer!
    I am going to dump this card right the way! thumb down asus!

6. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgive me for being out of loop (if I am), but by "fixed some issues with 3600 cards" does that mean that we can flash our cards now without having to reinstall our drivers? Or does that still need to be done afterwards?

7. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    It should mean that exactly, thank you for asking this! :)
    Yeah, this should work now. It's not tested though 'cause I don't have a 3600. Would you give it a shot and keep me updated?

mdm-adph says thanks.
  8. CrackerJack

CrackerJack

Thanks Received:
    Hey bagzzlash, I've notice everytime i open a my bios "2900GT" it doesn't show up in the Video Card Section, like the rest do.

[​IMG]

9. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

This is not an issue of RBE. There's simply no Device-ID saved into the BIOS (it's 0x0000, most likely). My 2900 pro (this) and some 2900 XTs show the same behaviour. I noticed it for some FireGL-cards, also.

CrackerJack says thanks.
  10. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    You got it, Judge Fudge.

11. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I can't listen. I'm far too busy - being delicious! :)
    But seriously: It worked without reinstalling, right?

12. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure did! Do the new clocks not show up in GPU-Z, though? Flashed the defaults on my 3600 to 820/940, but the defaults still show up as 725/800.

[​IMG]

13. jimmyz New Member

Thanks Received:
    run a 3d app and look again.

14. tvdang7 New Member

Thanks Received:
    same here. i got to change my 2d clocks however. they are set to 160/500 but 3d still doesnt work. my fan control seems to work but i dont have that box like ati tool does. i just move the graph around to my liking.

THE FAN GETS SUPER LOUD!

visiontek 4850 here btw.

15. ViciousXUSMC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im sort of disappointed in my Visiontek 4850(s) I have 2 of them in CrossfireX and figured with the core being the same as the 4870 that it would go to the 700mhz no problems, but while 3dmark06 stable I crash out of Crysis & Grid, lowering it down to 675 has been stable. I figure the major difference has to be the voltage.

So has anybody tried to increase the voltage via bios for the 4850's and see how it works?

Also I am totally new to RBE, is there any extra step or process I should be aware of since I have two video cards? Well actually that would be a question for the bios rip/flash utility not RBE. Right now I have issues with that as ATI Winflash will not run in Vista x64 for me. Just acts like its going to load but never does.

16. VuurVOS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think increasing the voltage within the bios isn't possible, you must do a voltmod to get more mhz.

For flashing I suggest that you use a bootable usb stick. How to make one? Click HERE

17. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    The maximum voltage for 4850 cards reachable using BIOS modding seems to be 1.20 to 1.21 volts. For more, you need to do a hardmod.
    To gain maximum via BIOS modding, simply set a value silghtly above this 1.20V (e.g. 1.3 volts) to be sure to reach max.

18. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    For doing that, would I change the volts that are being displayed as "---"? Check pics if I am unclear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. VuurVOS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got this from the FAQ

Q: Why do I get three dashes instead of a number in some of the 'voltage' boxes?
    A: Those voltages are 'fused', as ATI calls it. I suppose this means that it's the driver that sets these voltages. However, you can just leave this as it is or you can overwrite the dashes with any numeric value you like.

20. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I know what it mean, I was asking if those were the correct ones to change.

21. tomcug New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this should help you :)

22. ViciousXUSMC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm 4850 only has 1.05v stock? 1.2 would be more than enought I am stable 675 on the core and have not pushed the memory much yet but its stable at 1000.

Quick noob question, uisng the CCP you can max the core at 700mhz, via bios mod can I take it higher if desired or is it still locked thru some means.

edit: never mind had to look at it a few times, I see that you have 710 on there to mark the places to place the overclocked numbers, and I would assume that you can go higher since you put 710 there. The voltage readins tho are in different low speed areas and I guess 1.05 was used as a lower than stock number to save energy and make it run cooler?

So what is the stock voltage then for the "high" clock areas? plus should I expect any major changes in temps with the max of 1.2v?

My temps are pretty low I put AS5 on there and locked the fans at 50% currently via the profiles.

Actually that leads me to yet another question, I was told by a forum member on NBR that for the bios changes to work and stick that you need to disable your profiles and turn off overdrive. Otherwise it wont work.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  23. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Via BIOS flashing you can take it higher, just test the clocks to be sure they are stable, best method to use is the artifact scanner in ATI Tool

24. ViciousXUSMC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I crashed out of Grid & Crysis @ 700mhz core and I believe it was due to my overclock (got video driver error) 675 has been stable. 700mhz was stable for 3dmar06 looped a few times.

But the increase to 1.2v should be enough to get 700mhz on the core. I am also running crossfire so that probably adds more complications to the entire process.

I still have not got good details on how to flash bios on a crossfire setup, as in how to determine what card it goes too and winflash for me wont run so I will have to find a cheap usb stick and use ATI flash I guess.

25. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Get a cheap USB stick and flash each card individually, meaning take one out, flash the one that is in the system, take that one out, put the other one in and flash that one.