1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE - General information and discussion

Discussion in 'RBE' started by BAGZZlash, Mar 9, 2008.

1. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes, does anyone know what boards can do that??
  2. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    rivatuner is correct.. if the speed dosnt crank up its not doing so.. believe what it tell u..

trog
  3. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    as yet no.. :)

or at least no list exists..

trog
  4. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    why dont you just change the core and mem speed in riva and have it apply the speeds at boot?

its a much safer method than flashin a bios. Adjusting in riva wont void warrenties either! what they dont know cant hurt them!

and yes, trog is the ultimate master of knowledge(HEHE J/K), but he does know what hes talking about, hes got 2 of these cards
  5. asb2106

asb2106 New Member

Thanks Received:
    bummer, Im buying one in the next upcomin week, and that would be nice to not have to mess with an iron, Id like to get 1.4, 1.5 maybe, and call it a day, I just want to get to like 950core.

Oh and before - that was not a personal attack - just a joke:toast:
  6. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i try to keep up to date with the cards.. one thing is clear.. some chips go better than others by 50 mhz or so even at the same voltage..

the HIS 850 core turbo must have speed binned chips.. some other cards come with better chips but its pot luck..

i think bios volt modding is for any bios crippled 3850 cards.. again some are bios crippled some probably hard wire crippled..

the partners seem to be playing to their hearts content.. too many variations on a theme..

trog
  7. DonGeilo New Member

Thanks Received:

Attached Files:

8. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Just some thoughts:

1./ Make sure RBE doesnt *CRASH* when you load an incompatible BIOS... but reports "this is an xzy BIOS, RBE is not compatible" and refuse to load.
    2./ Have a drop down box allowing older cards... with then a help statement like "RBE cannot edit this BIOS... try using xyz with a link to xyz"
    3./ GPU-Z *is* compatible with older cards ;-)
    I agree, RaBiT is probably fine for all older cards. Does it do the X1xxx series? But a link to the TPU download section for RaBiT would be nice. Remember us old-timers know about RaBit, but the community is full of new people and they would appreciate the link, or HELP file.
  9. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    ad 1.) Of course there will be a handling for that.
    ad 2.) I don't think that's useful. But as I said: I'm checking on some things and if that will come out positively, there will be some changes... Don't want to say any more about this right now! :)
    ad 3.) Who said it doesn't? But that's not really comparable. However, I posted a link to RaBiT and to NiBiTor in this thread's first post. Can't do more than that to help with research. And no one who is unable or too lazy to use google should tinker with BIOS flashing anyway.

Please don't get this wrong: I'm really greatful for any hints and thoughts you or anyone might have. Thanks to all! ;)
  10. AozRoon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi BAGZZlash !

I am using your great RBE since the 0.95 version and I have just discovered today that 1.07 version allows now to edit fan speed thresholds ! Very nice improvement ...

I have noticed, when monitoring my card (2900Pro 512bits), that the temperature thresholds are not the same to increase or decrease the fan rotation speed.

For instance, by default, the fan speed goes up from 25% to 31% whenever the temperature become more than 50°C but decrease from 31% to 25% when temperature fall down below 45°C (not 50°C). This is obviously to avoid the fan to change too often its speed.

In RBE 1.07 (which I did not test yet) you seems to allow to edit the temperature threshold for the fan speed to increase, but do you have the project to allow editing the decreasing fan speed thresholds ? Or perhaps the gap between those thresholds is fixed (5°C in our example).

Thanks a lot !

Aoz.
  11. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

Thanks for the cheers! :)
    Yes, this feature is called 'Hysteresis'. It's easy to implement this, but I didn't think that anyone would be eager for this. I'll remember you for the next release. ;)
  12. AozRoon New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi BAGZZlash !

After tests, it seems that it is the histeresis threshold (5°c) which is coded in the bios, and not the fan speed decreasing temperatures thresholds.

That means that increasing the 25%->31% temperature threshold from 50° to 55° also leads to an increase of the 31%->25% threshold from 45°->50°.

Which sounds really good ! So you don't have any work to do on this side, 5°c for the histeresis is ok.

Amazing tool this RBE !! Our HD2900 are no more noisy :toast:

t h a n k y o u B A G Z Z l a s h ! ! :rockout:
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  13. NicolasG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, it does not work with Mobility Radeon HD 2600 BIOS. Does not even want to load it.
  14. pablo NZ New Member

Thanks Received:
  15. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    Frogger and VuurVOS say thanks.
  16. cool_recep

cool_recep

Thanks Received:
    Release Notes...

LOL...
  17. AozRoon New Member

Thanks Received:
    BAGZZlash, you should work for AMD :D

18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    It messed my games up as i tried this a few days ago. 2D was fine don't know about the fan but 3D was a complete mess when i tried to set fan and clocks to 830\930.

This was v1.07. Anyone tried 1.08 with a 2900/XT ?
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  19. VuurVOS New Member

Thanks Received:
    I like to see if possible a option to set a minimum fan speed for the HD3870?
    BAGZZlash says thanks.
  20. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    There will be some more options for 3xx0 fan control in the next version. Let's wait and see... ;)
  21. BAGZZlash

BAGZZlash RBE Author

Thanks Received:
    What was the matter? Can you explain a little more?
    You should try v1.08. I's completely rewritten!
  22. mikek75

mikek75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cheers for this Bagzzlash, I've just used it to adjust the fanspeed on my ASUS 3870. It was getting to 90c. I lowed the threshold from 73c to 55c and increased the steepness from 48 to 70.

Just ran 3dmark06 and the temperature hovvered around the 72c mark, fanspeed increased to 42% as monitored by Rivatuner.
  23. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Well not going try it with 1.07 again. BUT i'll try it with 1.08 for sure in fact after this post lol.

The problem was in 3D that there was many mixed up colours on screen. IF 1.08 does it to i'll see if i can take a screenshot of it.

Screenshot not possible and 1.08 does the same thing. All though 1 game started then every thing went corrupt after about 5 seconds then monitor turns off. Guessing the GPU is crashing for some reason.

The coruption is lines with multiple colored pixels.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  24. Mad-Matt

Thanks Received:
    just tested 1.08 of rbe with my 3870 using latest sapphire bios from this site and it seems to be working well.

Is this the right place for a feature request ? ;)
    Is it possible to change in the bios the pal/ntsc mode of the card like on previous ati cards. The 3870 is the first ati card ive had that for whatever reason doesnt have the jumper switches for setting pal mode. Id like to be able to do this as its the only way I can get pal modes such as 720x576 to show up in the display options. handy for emus where i want exact pal screen mode ;)
  25. VuurVOS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Some HD3870 have those swiches like my Sapphire.