1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RC Clubhouse!

Discussion in 'techPowerUp! Club Forum' started by infrared, Apr 23, 2008.

1. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey everyone,

I'm starting this clubhouse for everyone to show off their models and help promote the hobby!

Basically, I'll keep a list on this post of every member, and what side of the hobby they're into, be it Cars (nitro/electric? onroad/offroad?), Planes, Helis, Anything!) Just post a picture of you with your model, and some text explaining the specs, any mods and upgrades, etc... You don't have to go into quite as much detail as me, but provide as much info as possible.

Also, post your location if you're happy doing so, that way if someone lives nearby you can arrange to have a race, or go down the local flying club or whatever.

===================================================

Ok, to start the Thread off...

I'm into the Planes and Helis, doing 3D flight and aerobatics.

[​IMG]

Me flying my Weston UK MiniHype! The plane is designed for a .46 size glow engine but i've converted it to electric. You wouldn't believe that plane is a year old, and flown about 40-50 times a week would ya? :D

Technical stuff:

Motor: Axi 2826/12
    ESC: Jeti 70 Advance
    Batteries: Maxpoly 4s 2100mah (lasts between 6-12 mins depending on how i fly it)
    Servos: 4x Hitec HS85MG

[​IMG]

Me doing a low inverted pass with my Align Trex 450SE V2! Umm, I've upgraded the motor and ESC, but there's really no need with this model. It's capable of absolutely everything! Only limited by my ability!

Technical stuff:

Motor: Scorpion 2221-6
    ESC: Castle Creations 45A
    Batteries: Flightpower EvoLite 3s 2500mah
    Servos: Hitec HS65MG's on cyclic. Futaba S9257 on the tail
    Gyro: Futaba GY401

Members!

1. InfraRed - Planes and Helis
    2. sneekypeet - EP Buggies, Planes
    3. cdawall - EP Truck
    4. Skitzo - Planes
    5. Tigger69 - Helis
    6. steelkane - Nitro Cars
    7. Bytor - Sailplanes
    8. intel igent - RC trucks
    9. Psychoholic - Planes/Trucks
    10. SirJangly - Trucks
    11. Skitzo - Trucks
    12. P4-630 - 1/10 touring cars
    13. zaqwsx - Cars
    14. DonInKansas - 1/0 touring cars
    15. Mediocre - Helis
    16. aximbigfan - Helis, gliders
    17. rampage - planes, boats, helis
    18. Lillebror - Helis
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a very cool idea....Let me get my foot in the door with this.

My Team Associated RC-10 B3 with mods....Electric buggy.
    [​IMG]

side view:
    [​IMG]

Rear view:
    [​IMG]

I bought the basic kit and added the titanium steering and suspension parts...also the anodized aluminium skidplate on the rear.

Also took a trial run into flying with a trainer Gas powered plane..after lots of crashes all that is left is the motor and electronics.

This is the plane I had...different monocoat applied to mine , but you get the idea:
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

i had this one (but all black) its just a off the shelf 9.6v car but it did 40+ and melted 2 sets of tires before i blew the trans out on it
  4. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Pretty quick for a nikko! :D

Nice buggy sneeky!
    sneekypeet says thanks.
  5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    it had a low and a high gear st on it and i torched low in some sand and high just went out after jumping it 5ft or so into the air :roll:
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    lol ...this thread is making me charge the batteries and got terrorize my neighborhood!
  7. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who else has something to show off then? Must be loads of people on TPU...
  8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, I had an RS4-MT. It is now in peices and cant find all of them. Wish I could get back into the hobby. I miss that truck.
  9. mrw1986

mrw1986

Thanks Received:
    I was a manager of a HobbyTown USA for a while. After I quit I sold all of my RC Stuff ($2000 Crawler, E-Maxx w/ all carbon fiber, a few Clods (Xtreme Racing Carbon Fiber Chassis)(ESP ClodZilla II and III), and a Ford F350 Hi-Lift. I had been in the hobby for about 10 years or so and have been going in and out of it. It just never holds my interest long enough because of how expensive it is...I spent more money on it than I do on my PCs!
  10. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    @sneeky

What motor is in the B3?
  11. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Amen to that. Very expensive hobby! Luckily I'm still living at home and don't pay much rent, so that's where all my wages go! :laugh:

I Currently work at Hobbystores part-time, but i'm going to quit soon because the new manager is a c**t, with a worrying interest in very young children. He let me and my mate borrow a couple of flight simulators for a week to try them out (new realflight G4's), and when we returned them he supposedly had no memory of letting us borrow them and suspended us on the spot. My mate got fired, and i'm on a 'final written warning'...
  12. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    its been too long to remember and the label has since fallen off...it was a green something(name), thats all I can remember at this time. its quick tho..30-35MPH off road gets it done!!!
  13. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I just got an rc chopper,its a rc system easy copter xs metal,4 channel.Its a duel rotor type without the full tail/cyclic controls.I thought i would learn on this then get a 6 chaneel type.I will post some pics soonest.
  14. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Mmmmm beautiful. Electric or "Gas"?
  15. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey everyone;

I'm just barely a beginner when it comes to rc's but this is my trainer.
    http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/hcaa1961-index.html

the SkyFly is very inexpensive to buy and repair.
    plastic fuselage with injection foam wings and tail. it has a 380 electric motor and a 3 channel controller with inteli-flight.

I break it everytime I fly it so it hasn't seen much action lately

the first pic is the original fuselage after the first crash ( I tried to push it back into it's original shape but only got about halfway). I talk about it here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showpost.php?p=843860&postcount=2

the wing is also from the first crash cause i didn't have a new one handy. At the moment all it needs is a tail.

so far crashing has been the most fun lol. I think to have more fun in the air I need a plane with better capabilities. But this is ok to learn with for now.:rockout:

k this is where my personality comes in. I'm thinking if i do some minor mods it'll be alot more responsive. I'm gonna build a tail for it and get rid of the elastics. It'll have mechanical movement both ways.:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  16. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    My choppers electric :p

A couple of pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    Members list updated.

Hey Skitzo, congrats on your first plane! Those are a lot of fun.

Nice one Tigger, the Easy Copters fly pretty well. We used to stock them so we had one out to demo in the shop! :D
  18. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I bought clearview,the rc sim for the pc,last night.I'm slowly getting the hang of flying it,i think i'm just a bit too nervous.It is very rewarding when i get it right.

How hard is it to fly a 6 channel chopper? to fly upside down,do you have to reverse the rotor blades so the air is pushing up? Is it hard to do that?

Sorry for all the q's,but i am fasinated by the rc choppers,the full 6/7 channel ones are just like a real chopper in the control system.
  19. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, it's been a blast. i know my plane is cheap but i like to improve things and am wondering what you all think of the mod i want to do. As far as i can tell it only requires drilling two more holes in the tail shaft, add an extra 2 fastners for connections. the only hard part will be balancing the control lines as they enter the tail shaft so movement is equal both ways. I can't think of a material to use for the tail though. was thinking the ccorogated platics sign stuff but it's pretty thick. Any suggestions?:)

EDIT: I'll take some pics of what I'm talking about in a little bit.
  20. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's not too tricky, but it takes a lot of practice lol. The pitch is mixed in on the throttle stick, so that's automatic. To go inverted there is an 'idle up' switch, where it raises the headspeed and basically you program the transmitter so that it doesn't drop the throttle at the bottom of the throttle stick. You have 0* pitch at the center of the stick, and positive/negative pitch either side :)

I was showing off one time, and forgot to flick the idle up switch, flipped the heli inverted and the motor speed dropped rapidly!! Managed to keep the heli level as it decended and it balanced on the head button before it dropped on it's side! No damage at all! :twitch: Think i've still got the pics of it kicking around somewhere, was friggin amazing!

corigated plastic should be ok, it doesn't matter if it's slightly thicker than the other stuff. You should be able to get some lightweight control horns from any model shop.

Yeah, definatly show us some pics so we get a better idea :)
  21. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    My old & still running good, HPI RS4 3 SS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  22. Skitzo New Member

Thanks Received:
    gotta like how simple this plane is. Took less than 10 minutes to strip it down.

sorry for not knowing all the right terminology yet.

for better response I'm considering these mods:
    I don't like that fishing line and elastics control the rudder and elevator. At first I wanted to add an extra line to replace the elastics. Now I'm thinking control rods.
    I'd also like slightly larger control surfaces. The injection foam hinges on the factory parts don't last very long. I figure if i can make a control suface the size I want, I can add it with some plastic knuckles as apposed to tape or metal hinges.
    Trying to decide the best way to reinforce the wing ( Have folded two doing loops with stock setup so ...)
    The motor mount needs to be beefed up as well, it bends too easy.
    There is room for a 7 cell battery pack too:)

After I get thes mods done. Depending on the results I may swap out the electronics for some servos and a bigger motor.

I gotta say thanks, i havn't put much thought or research into this plane since last summer. Thanks for the motivation:)

Edit: for the wing i've heard everything from tape, dowl, control rods and carbon fibre. the reason i'm looking past the extra fishing line is, it would be hard to blance movement in both directions. The tail shaft sits lower than center of the gear (fishing line is fed through the tail shaft) so distances and angles won't be equal.

Attached Files:

23. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    @steelkane

That thing is a beauty. When did you get it?
  24. steelkane

steelkane New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, When it first came out,, I think about 4 years ago. I added allot of hop-ups to it, took about $700 to get it that way, & top speed was 65. Finding a big smooth surface to run it on was the biggest turn-off.
  25. Mediocre

Mediocre New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sweet, can't believe i hadn't seen this club yet...

I've got an RTF RC plane that never got off the ground...even after motor and prop upgrades...so I said the hell with planes...

Currently have these (for me and my 4yr old to play with):
    [​IMG]

And this will be here Tomorrow W00t!! My first real attempt at a chopper:
    [​IMG]

It's an Esky Lama V4 (2.4GHz version)...bought an extra Lipo and 'training wheels'...can't wait to hover :)

Got the Esky from www.xheli.com they seem to have some killer stuff on their site.

:toast: