1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Re: a newly installed Ttake fan issue...

Discussion in 'Thermaltake' started by StanleyT, Feb 25, 2013.

1. StanleyT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot here with this topic, but finding a Ttake specific forum seems quite difficult ( as they don't have a functional forum of their own apparently ). I'll appreciate any feedback on this.

I"m running an HP Slimline s5213w desktop ( bought new - with some recently upgraded hardware ).
    Original Narra5 mobo w/W7 HP 64 bit OS
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 DC 6000+ 3.00 Ghz CPU
    4 GB RAM
    GForce GT 220 GPU
    350 Watt PSU
    Thermaltake TR2-R1 ( New )

When I installed the new CPU, I chose the TR2-R1 to go along with it. Wonderful little easy to install unit, but here's the issue. At a system start, the fan will jump a bit, but not go and Windows shuts down accordingly. Same with waking ( a little finger nudge and it'll run fine, but at no higher than 489 rpm ), but no shutdown or real overheating ( top 130 - 140 F ) at syst. idle. The mobo's also a 12v so it should be fine.

The orig. CPU was an AMD Sempron LE 1250 - no Cool-n-Quiet installed. Also, strangely enough, I have no options in BIOS re: anything fans whatsoever :confused:

Any thoughts on this ?

2. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Im sure those tr2s have a three wire connector .did the original have four wires if so can you not set the fan type via bios or jumper .might need a 4 wire type fan

10 Million points folded for TPU
  3. StanleyT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nope. Covered that one too_Original's a 3.

4. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Try fitting the old fan to the new cooler temp style to see if it boots ok that cuts the fan out the issue list

5. StanleyT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Works fine mrk. Puzzling kind of thing here, eh.

I've also tried a couple of popular utilities as well - Riva and SpeedFan - but apparently this mobo isn't chipped so that they can do any more than detect current temps and speeds on hardware. I simply cannot find a way to manipulate them at a system level.

6. AthlonX2

AthlonX2 HyperVtXâ„¢

Thanks Received:
    get a molex to 3 pin adapter for the fan and run it wide open

7. StanleyT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good idea. Thinks I may have one.

8. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Also this cooler is solid aluminum and may not give great benefits over a stock copper heatpipe cooler.

[​IMG]

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Mmm wont work as simple as that as its clearly the new fans npt spinning up quick enough. Bypassing the boards fan control would require you to still pass the mobo an acceptable fan speed signal as its the lack of this thats stopping it booting up.
    Either remove the old hsf fan and mount it in your case plugged into the cpu fan point with the cpus fan powered by the psu or cut the yellow speed sense wire , mate it to a fan connector and plug just the new fans speed signal into the mobo with its power comeing via direct molex to psu.
    Orrrrr by a new hsf or fan for it:)

StanleyT says thanks.
  10. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I bought some cheap Rosewill case fans, and they came with an adapter that had a molex, female 3 pin header and a male 3 pin header that just had the sense wire and ground so you could run the fan off the PSU but still get tach readings from the motherboard. Don't know if they sell those separately or if you have to do some modding yourself.

Here's the fan I bought, and the picture of the adapter is the 5th one when you view the images. Rosewill RFA-120-RL Case Fan - Newegg.com

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  11. hckngrtfakt

hckngrtfakt

Thanks Received:
    Get one of these

[​IMG]

Connect the fan directly, then plug in the PWM wire to the motherboard.

StanleyT says thanks.