1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Re-Installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Heldelance, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,

I've got a big of a question about re-installing Windows. Currently, the hard drive it's on is rather old (4-5 years I think) and it's rather low capacity (250 gb).

I would like to set up Windows to a different drive, maybe even net myself an SSD and put it there.

The question I have is, do I have to reinstall everything after changing the drives Windows is on?

I'm assuming that I will need to reinstall the drivers and stuff for the PC based on the fact that the drive they'll be on will no longer exist. I'm just not sure about programs like games and such which are on a different drive.

Many thanks for the input.
    ---
  2. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Yes, everything will have to be re-installed. Just about every program you install makes entries in the Registry which of course will be gone when you install a clean copy of Windows elsewhere.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    I thought so. Was hoping there was an alternative, but I highly doubted it. I suppose it's for the best, clean out all the old stuff.
  4. timta2

Thanks Received:
    As long as you are not changing any other hardware (other than the hard drive) you should be able to just clone the installation to another drive without any problems.

A fresh installation might be a better option if you want everything fresh though.
    ThE_MaD_ShOt says thanks.
  5. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    Cloning is an option for sure if the os is in good shape. I cloned the drive in one of my rigs when I went from a 320 gb drive to a 1tb drive.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. andrewsmc

andrewsmc

Thanks Received:
    Link to "Cloning" info plz?
  7. Heldelance

Thanks Received:
    I'm guessing he means imaging the drive. I think I'll just go for the fresh install that way there aren't too many problems. Better start to list the stuff I need to D/L (can't find the MB CDs...)
  8. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Cloning to an SSD is not a good idea. When you install 7 to an SSD it make changes to the system to optimize the system for an SSD