1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

READ BEFORE POSTING!! The Rules of this Forum

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by W1zzard, Apr 21, 2006.

1. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for reading the rules beforehand, and welcome to TPU! :toast:
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Here's how I understand the rules (I'm sure a section mod will correct me if I'm in error ;) )

You can bump your thread once in every 24 hours period, or once a day at any time.
    If you normally bump your thread at 2pm, but are late one day (say 6pm) you can bump again the next day at 2pm again, but only once in any given day.

If someone asks a question close to your bump time, it's best to wait a while to use your bump as it won't benefit you as a seller to immediatly bump again.

If you do something lame, like change the price every hour, and post in your thread about the change, it will be considered bumping as it would be an obvious subversion of the bump rule.
    If you make a legitimate post responding to a question asked in the thread it is not normally considered your bump.

You cannot "bank" bumps. So if you don't bump for 3 days, you do not get four bumps the next day.

Just use common sense, don't try to "game" the rules, and you'll be fine. :toast:
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
    Mussels, ThE_MaD_ShOt and stinger608 say thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I personally never understood the need to ask questions in the thread. It takes another 20 seconds to send a private message. I get that some information should be public knowledge, but it's the seller's responsibility to provide every little detail. If a seller forgets something but remembers after being asked, edit the thread for clarification.
  4. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Nobody's perfect and can remember to add every little detail, so there are questions that are relevant and acceptable in FS threads and also inform other readers if the seller does not immediately update the OP.
  5. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I often ask questions in a thread if I feel it might benefit someone else, like asking if they are looking for any trades ;)
    Kreij says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Which is why I said the seller should be responsible for clarifying as soon as someone brings it up. I would rather someone PM me with a question about a detail I left out, where I reply and then proceed to edit my original post with the information, than answer a question on page 3 of what would become a 20 page thread.
  7. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    If a FS thread gets long in the tooth (lots of pages), it's quite likely that 90% of the posts are no longer relevant. The seller can request a clean-up if they so desire and the irrelevant posts can be removed.
  8. illli

Thanks Received:
    there is a person at anandtech, i don't know if she is on this forum but she is on [H], and she posted a fs topic at both forums. over at anandtech i sent her a pm about an item she had, but she never replied back. then a few days later i noticed her fs topic at [H] so i made a comment in her topic asking if she got my pm over at anandtech (i wanted to make she sure got it so i decided to post it in her topic instead of sending another pm). turns out she didnt get the pm i sent at anandtech. my little story does not really have much to do with what you said above, but sometimes i think it is better to ask things in public. sometimes a public question could also be sort of like promotion, like 'hey isnt this processor better than xyz?' or something along those lines :)
  9. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    Is it just me, or was there a rule, and does it still exist, stating that prices had to be clearly stated in for sale threads? I fell like I've seen some FS/FT threads lately where people are more interested in trades, and then perhaps don't post a price.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It was never a rule as far as I can remember. :)