• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

READ BEFORE POSTING!! The Rules of this Forum

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
It's a forum rule that was set by a majority of TPU's staff and moderators that is particular to the forum and has little to do with any national or international law. The same as requiring heatware or posting a picture in a thread.

I understand that, I just don't agree with any of the reasoning behind it, and feel that the people making the decisions are doing so on mis-information in their beliefs that selling OEM software is illegal.

I'm asking the reasoning behind the decisions. A simple "because we said so" doesn't sit well.

What is next? Only moderators and staff can post "because we said so"? No sale of ATi hardware "because we said so"? You can only post FS threads on the second tuesday following the 3rd full moon of the year "because we said so"? I mean, banning OEM software sales is just as arbitrary.

t_ski

Former Staff
Heatware
867 0 0
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
The people who don't bother to read the rules in the first place won't read it no matter how clearly it can be seen. Unfortunately it's not a minority.

Maybe if there is some way to put a check box in that requires them to view it. They can't sell if the box is checked. Not sure if that's a possibility in the vBulliten software...

What I don't understand is why OEM OSes can't be sold. It isn't illegal to sell the OS by itself, in fact the OEM licence doesn't even apply to any of the sellers, only the initial person that opens the package. There are a set of rules for the person that opens the package, which can be seen on the white sleeve before openning the package, and there are a set of rules that the person installing the software agrees to when they are installing the software.

The person buying the OS from newegg, then selling it un-openned here, aren't bound by any licensing.

Perhaps the rule needs to be no selling of openned or used OEM software without the white sleeve in tacts, meaning the red stickers on the end aren't broken...

That's a good idea, but is possible to circumvent. In some cases the key is on the outside of the case or sleeve, so the key could be used without the package being opened.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Maybe if there is some way to put a check box in that requires them to view it. They can't sell if the box is checked. Not sure if that's a possibility in the vBulliten software...

That's a good idea, but is possible to circumvent. In some cases the key is on the outside of the case or sleeve, so the key could be used without the package being opened.

That is why the white sleeve needs to be intact with the red stickers at both ends. If it isn't there, that means the software probably came with a computer or has already been used and shouldn't be sold. The white sleeve means that no one has openned the package, so none of the rules or licensing applies to them. I think that is actually why Microsoft added that sleeve in the first place.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Reasoning behind no OEM software is: because second-hand OEM software can have activation problems, there could be drama between the buyer and the seller, and TPU might have have to intervene / take a PR-hit for being a place where such software is traded. Selling OEM software isn't illegal per-say, but selling used OEM software could have both legal issues, and issues that puts buyers in an unfair amount of risk when buying it in P2P transactions such as what happens here.

As for why OEM OS software is altogether banned and not just second-hand OEM software: there's no proper way of telling if it's unused.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Reasoning behind no OEM software is: because second-hand OEM software can have activation problems, there could be drama between the buyer and the seller, and TPU will have to intervene / take a PR-hit for being a place where such software is sold. Selling OEM software isn't illegal per-say, but selling used OEM software could have both legal issues, and issues that puts buyers in an unfair amount of risk.

I'm in total agreement here, second hand OEM software = bad.

As for why OEM OS software is altogether banned and not just second-hand OEM software: there's no proper way of telling if it's unused.

At least with Microsoft's new packaging, it is pretty much impossible to get into that white sleeve without it being noticeable. So if the white sleeve is intact, and both red stickers are still there and not broken, it is safe to say the software is unopenned and unused. It is in this case, and this case only, that I think OEM software should be allowed.

Even Microsoft says this is acceptable:

Microsoft said:
Unopened Pack
If you don't open the pack, you can deliver the unopened pack to another system builder—an OEM, assembler, refurbisher, or preinstaller of software on computer systems.

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=561809

I'm pretty sure all of us here buying on the forums are system builders. :)

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
But then there's no point in buying it over TPU. Unopened anything will be sold at market price (of the OEM software)...unless the seller just broke into a Microsoft warehouse.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
But then there's no point in buying it over TPU. Unopened anything will be sold at market price...unless the seller just broke into a Microsoft warehouse.

Not really, if I bought 10 copies because I was building 10 machines, and 3 people decided to back out, I'd sell them here for a little below what I paid to make at least some of the money back.

Or if I bought a copy expecting to build a machine, but then plans fell through, I might want to sell it here since I can't take it back. And if it would cost me $5 to ship it back to newegg and newegg is going to charge me a $15+ restocking fee, I might as well sell it here for $10 under retail and come out ahead. No?

Hell, the second senerio is more common then I like to admit. A lot of the stuff I end up selling here was something I bought with plans for, and the plans changed so I sold it here. I have a copy of XP MCE sitting in my basement that I planned to use for a build that I never got around to. I've also got an E3200 I bought about 6 months ago that was supposed to be used in a build also... I actually do this a lot...

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Not really, if I bought 10 copies because I was building 10 machines, and 3 people decided to back out, I'd sell them here for a little below what I paid to make at least some of the money back.

Or since it's unopened, give it back to when you bought it from for a full refund (EULA says "full refund"). So why would you want to sell it to someone over TPU at a loss?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
there really is no use arguing over it now. if people want to sell OEM do it someplace else.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Or since it's unopened, give it back to when you bought it from for a full refund (EULA says "full refund"). So why would you want to sell it to someone over TPU at a loss?

You mean the EULA agreement that only applies to end users and not retailers, hence the words "End User" in the title?

Lets see, 3 copies of Win7 HP at $100 a piece, means if I ship them back to newegg, I'm out $45+Shipping... If I sell the three here for $95 a piece shipped I'm out maybe $30, but I'm still $15 better off than shipping it back to newegg.:ohwell:

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
You mean the EULA agreement that only applies to end users and not retailers, hence the words "End User" in the title?

Lets see, 3 copies of Win7 HP at $100 a piece, means if I ship them back to newegg, I'm out $45+Shipping... If I sell the three here for $95 a piece shipped I'm out maybe $30, but I'm still $15 better off than shipping it back to newegg.:ohwell:

It only takes $10~15 worth of shipping to send all three items from your side back to Newegg, while Newegg adds shipping costs of each unit (unless it has a free shipping for x quantities offer) to send those three copies to you. So ~$300 recovered. Now try selling each of those copies to three different buyers on TPU: for cost of the copy plus shipping charges. You end up at a slight but certain loss.

Anyways, we're through implementing this rule. Thanks for the discussion.
----

As a late answer to the argument of how some TPU staff could in the past get away selling it and how someone isn't allowed to, now: pot wasn't illegal, people had fun, now it's illegal. Too bad.
Anyone, not just TPU staff could sell used OEM software back then. So the rules then were equal, as they are now: nobody including staff can sell OEM software.

Last edited:

t_ski

Former Staff
Heatware
867 0 0
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
That is why the white sleeve needs to be intact with the red stickers at both ends. If it isn't there, that means the software probably came with a computer or has already been used and shouldn't be sold. The white sleeve means that no one has openned the package, so none of the rules or licensing applies to them. I think that is actually why Microsoft added that sleeve in the first place.

One some of the ones I have, the red tape is under the white sleeve and only on the plastic case the DVD comes in.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Heatware
80 0 0
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
It only takes $10~15 worth of shipping to send all three items from your side back to Newegg, while Newegg adds shipping costs of each unit (unless it has a free shipping for x quantities offer) to send those three copies to you. So ~$300 recovered. Now try selling each of those copies to three different buyers on TPU: for cost of the copy plus shipping charges. You end up at a slight but certain loss.

Anyways, we're through implementing this rule. Thanks for the discussion.
----

As a late answer to the argument of how some TPU staff could in the past get away selling it and how someone isn't allowed to, now: pot wasn't illegal, people had fun, now it's illegal. Too bad.
Anyone, not just TPU staff could sell used OEM software back then. So the rules then were equal, as they are now: nobody including staff can sell OEM software.

It isn't just the cost of shipping, it is the 15% restocking fee that newegg charges on top of that, that would be $45 right there for the 3 copies plus shipping back to them.

Yes, I could probably call them and bitch and moan and they would probably give me a full refund. However, I do about $50,000 in business with them a year. Your normal person that does next to no business with newegg might not be so fortunate. And then there are places that won't take software back no matter what...actually...I just looked, newegg won't take OEM software back at all, openned or not...so yeah, that is why I would try to sell them here instead of returning them to newegg, because newegg(and probably most other places) won't take them back.

One some of the ones I have, the red tape is under the white sleeve and only on the plastic case the DVD comes in.

Then you couldn't sell it here if they listened to me. All the latest ones have the red stickers over the white sleeve, so you can't take the sleeve off without disturbing the stickers.

Heatware
18 0 0
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
For the record I've never had trouble activating a used OEM. I mean really you can just keep calling and they'll keep activating it. I don't know if they have a log in their system that will cut you off at a certain point but you could potential have the same key going on many many systems... BUT selling it after activating on a system is still illegal. I'm just saying the problem isn't that it's hard to activate...

Side note - is heatware required if you're just buying? I mean I'm assuming no one is shipping crap until after they've confirmed they got their money anyways..

Last edited:
System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
blush.gif
Creating a thread in this Forum:​
If you don't have a heatware, please read all about how to get one here
the link on how to get heatware is dead

t_ski

Former Staff
Heatware
867 0 0
System Name My i7 Beast
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Keyboard Corsair K95
Side note - is heatware required if you're just buying? I mean I'm assuming no one is shipping crap until after they've confirmed they got their money anyways..

It does not say for selling only, so I would go with it being required. I would highly recommend it anyways, as someone could say they are another reputable buyer and get something shipped before receiving payment. The troll could then take the parts and run, never sending payment. If you set up a heatware account and put in your aliases as suggested, then it would be easier to prevent this (forum names wouldn't match another user's heatware aliases).

I had someone try to use my heatware account on ebay, but the buyer checked it out and saw my ebay alias was not the same as what that seller was using.

Heatware
116 0 0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
6 0 0
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
and the link works for me anyway (its just been deleted, probably when the threads were consolidated)

Heatware
116 0 0
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
and the link works for me anyway (its just been deleted, probably when the threads were consolidated)

What in the heck did he quote then?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Heatware
6 0 0
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
It's in the OP.

Heatware
116 0 0
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Under guidelines ... 14 dots down :D