1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Readyboost-Yes, I searched. For a system with 4 gigs ram

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by xazraelx, Jun 10, 2008.

1. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read on many websites, checked wikipedia, checked benchmarking, searched TPU. I may be blind, but I saw nothing on the performance gains of using, say, a 4 gig readyboost drive on a system with 4 gigs of, say, 4-4-4-12 RAM.

So, I'm installing X64 vista on my computer tomorrow, my specs are as follows: E6750@3.0GHZ stock volts, 4 gigs crucial ballistix running at 2.2v 4-4-4-12, evga 8800gt ssc, and a gigabyte ga-p35-ds4. I currently run XP 32 bit, so it's going to be a huge difference. I've already found drivers, etc, that I need for x64 (or at least most of them) and put them on my other hdd.

However, I've been thinking about readyboost. I constantly see readyboost 4 gig drives on sale for around $20, with good read/write times (around 15/9). Now, would I see ANY increase in performance from a 4 gig readyboost drive when I already have 4 gigs of ram? I'm sure it's been done before, just didn't find it in searches.

Thanks TPU.
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    nah... a decreace if anything
    I can't see a gamer like me needing more than 2GB, maybe hitting 3GB depending on what he's doing... unless you're running lots of memory intensive apps, nope
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Stick with the 4 gig that should be plenty enuff unless ur doin video editing stuff then the more the better.
  4. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    How could a -decrease- happen, out of curiousity?
    And then you think the flash drive would help, or simply buy more RAM. I'm using all 4 dimm slots on my computer, so I would have to buy 4x2gb, or 2x4gb, etc, whole new ram - not merely adding RAM sticks.
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    readyboost only removes a small amount of HDD lag. its for people with <1GB of ram, the gains just arent there anymore.
  6. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess I'll just see for myself, run a few tests, then post the results, since there are none I can find. I'll go ahead and order a 4 gig 15/9 readyboost drive, and if the performance gain isn't there at all, then, well, I've got an extra 4 gigs of space? lol.
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i have a 4GB flash drive here too, readyboost capable. Feel free to test it... but benchmarks wont show it. Readyboost is there to save a worst case scenario (total lack of ram, prevent HDD paging) so it is hard to tell if it has an effect or not.
  8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Think about it man. Are you ever going to use an Application or play a Game soon that will MAX out all 4GB of your RAM???? Like Whats his name said, its ment for people with low amounts of RAM. It prevents the PC from using the Pagefile on the PC's HD which would result in mass amounts of Lagg and instead uses the ReadyBoost Flash Drive like storage as the RAM.
  9. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    nice , ohh , i want to change my ram i have 2*1g/800 product called extreme and i pay 40$ for it, it run at 5-5-5-18 i think it is not good
  10. DanTheBanjoman SeƱor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Short answer: Yes.
  11. warhammer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Put 4gig (2x2gig) ram in your system vista 64 runs much better.
  12. xazraelx New Member

Thanks Received:
    You're saying four gigs of 2x2 runs better than 4 gigs of 1gigx4? Somehow that doesn't make sense to me.
  13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the only difference is that 2x2 would be easier to overclock. then again its also more expensive to buy, so you could just buy 4x1 of faster ram.
  14. Error 404

Error 404 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only time I've noticed a performance increase was when I put a 512 MB USB into my laptop, which had 512 MB of RAM! :eek:
  15. Grasshopper New Member

Thanks Received:
    My Vista boots much faster when I'm using my readyboost flash (or is it readyboot in that case?). I think readyboost is to reduce the load on your HDD, not to make up for the RAM.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yes, exactly. lack of ram causes too much HDD access, so this is a workaround for that. it doesnt make a fast system faster, it makes a slow system less laggy.
  17. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very true. Although I must admit - rarely.

The only thing that takes more than 3GB is Crysis, that I've so far witnessed.

Readyboost is useless. I wish I could use the remaining 5GB I have to speed up my system, at least during boot time.
  18. argard

argard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Better buy new memory modules :) , But I was wondering, if I go to some lan house, computers working with windows vista, the computer very slow... This feature will be very usefull. I put my pendrive and I will get some perfomance. :toast:
  19. xmountainxlionx

Thanks Received:
    wait...im confused....i though people used more than one program at time on thier computers?
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i have actually thats why i went 6GB of ram. Stalker is one were it can take up more than 4GB of ram and Supcom and COH and i know there's more than that.

BUT as fair as Readyboost goes i cannot see the point.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  21. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    The flash drives for readyboost do help some, I noticed small quickness differences when I used a 1gb drive in a system with 4gb of ram. It's only real noticable on a machine with 1-1.5gb of ram, sell lots of them to e-machine owners with 1-1.5gb of ram and vista because they don't want to pay for ram.
  22. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    where you buy this ram can u give link, i want to change my ram's too , and this is good ram's
  23. argard

argard New Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed "eboostr"(it's a ready booster application, but made by 3rd) in my x86 winxp pro workstation, it's a celeron D with PC2700 1g RAM (Onboard Gigabyte mobo,1 Sata Disk). I am using a kingston 4GB compatible pendrive, but with only 628 MB free, thus I choose a cache file with 512 MB. Basically Working with visual studio (using resharper), gimp and firefox. And with all these stuff, I noticed a little performance increase. But this happens if you already did any procedure before and you are repeating the procedure. It's like: you need to open 5 times the same file in the gimp. Or searching substrings in the solution files.

eboostr