1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp Calibration

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by FilipM, Nov 7, 2008.

1. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    I read and did the calibration in real temp for my E8400 and here is what happens:

First off, it says that a good ventilated CPU, opened case @ 1600Mhz with 1.1V should idle about 4-5 deg hotter than ambient temperature. But however, that was when everyone believed that the TJMax is 95 deg, but now since intel released it as 100deg, does that mean that now it has to idle 8-10 deg above ambient?

Second, when I am in normal mode or oc'd or whatever, Core 1 seems to be 5-8 deg hotter all the time. When I was doing the calibration, Core 0 sensor seemed to be showing ok temps (TJMax 95) i.e 5 above ambient but core 1 is 5 deg hotter. So what I've done is I only calibrated Core 1. Is that ok? I mean, should that thing be done for both cores, or as in my case only on one core?

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no. the calibration and the TJmax are independant from each other.
    Realtemp will have correct TJmax, so dont worry about that.

The intended method is as low clocks as possible, on as low volts as possible, and then tune them to match ambient temps. Remember that only idle is out - the closer they get to TJmax, the more accurate they become.

3. FilipM

FilipM New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so the newer versions of real temp with 100 deg TJMax will idle 5 deg hotter than the older ones.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    realtemp will read whatever your TJmax is automatically. The writer of the program tested the chips, and knows for sure what the TJmax is.

FilipM says thanks.