• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real Temp v3.4 Skinned

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x G.Skill F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 28" UE590 UHD
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Keyboard Leopold Tenkeyless
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy: 7695
I'm back at it again.

Here is a skinned version of RealTemp v3.4:

PM me your email address if you want a copy.

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
I have done a little bit of messing around with the new Beta version of RealTemp.

I just haven't felt very creative yet. :ohwell:
... I need to come up with a good background.

Last edited:
System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
Now I am on to something.

Distance to Tj Max is great and that is the parameter which is probably most accurate. The core temperature is just an educated guess based on experimentation as most of us know. Intel's official Tj Max values are usually unrealistic and therefore the resulting core temperature reported to us via RealTemp is an educated guess based on experimentation and are not necessarily in line with Intel's documentation. Merging the thermal sensor data result below the Distanc to Tj Max result seems logical because it allows a novice to understand the Tj Max data as either "OK" or Processor Hot without having to know the whole background story.

... And the "skin" background is elementary Microsoft Paint with some GIMP effects over the top. What is the pattern I drew called? I hope you can tell me. Draw two perpendicular lines and place an equal amount of hash marks along them and connect the hash marks from the vertical line to the horizontal line in an inverse manner. I am sure that there is a name for the method but I do not know it. Clue me in please.

Creative? I guess. I think it looks sharp. Probably more original than creative. Release a version with one of my "skins" and I would be overjoyed. ...And by "skins" I mean ResHacker'ed.

I tried out the ThrottleStop program and I am sure it has great potential. But for me, it didn't seem necessary since it did not appear that my laptop ever artificially limited CPU speed in order to conserve power to protect the charging/battery/power system. YMMV ...If you could somehow force multi-thread multiplier increases such as Intel Turbo Boost does for single-threaded applications (but for multithreaded applications), that would be amazing. :respect:

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
.If you could somehow force multi-thread multiplier increases such as Intel Turbo Boost does for single-threaded applications (but for multithreaded applications), that would be amazing.

ThrottleStop can do that but only on the Extreme CPUs like the i7-920XM or i7-940XM. The i7-720QM and i7-820QM are limited by Intel to encourage users to step up to an XM model.

The XM runs significantly faster in multi-threaded apps that it is well worth the extra money. Grabbing one off of ebay and then selling off the i7-720QM would be on my things to do list if I owned a laptop with one of these. Gaming is improved too. Instead of averaging a 15 multiplier, you'll be averaging 24 or 25 with the help of ThrottleStop.

Nice looking skin work. :rockout:

System Name Z77 Rev. 1
Cooling Water Cooling
Storage Samsung 850 Pro
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse EVGA TORQ X10
ThrottleStop can do that but only on the Extreme CPUs like the i7-920XM or i7-940XM. The i7-720QM and i7-820QM are limited by Intel to encourage users to step up to an XM model.

The XM runs significantly faster in multi-threaded apps that it is well worth the extra money. Grabbing one off of ebay and then selling off the i7-720QM would be on my things to do list if I owned a laptop with one of these. Gaming is improved too. Instead of averaging a 15 multiplier, you'll be averaging 24 or 25 with the help of ThrottleStop.

Nice looking skin work. :rockout:

I understand a little about the extreme edition CPUs being that I own a 965, but I honestly don't know how it is implemented. I guess the pipe dream I was referring to was a way to force Turbo Boost to function on multi-threaded applications. But if I understand what you are saying correctly, it sounds like Turbo Boost is a function controlled by the processor itself and some sort of firmware on the processor and cannot be tweaked externally through software.

So, I guess this brings up a question. If someone operated a real basic low level operating system, would the Turbo Boost function still operate? Is Turbo Boost totally controlled by the processor itself, or is it also reliant on a supporting operating system and drivers?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
If you're curious, try running ThrottleStop on your 965. Right click on ThrottleStop and there should be a menu option called Turbo Ratio Limit that might let you adjust your turbo multipliers. I don't have a Core i Extreme CPU to test this but I know this feature and the TDP/TDC feature works.

My best guess is that normally you need both bios support and operating system support for turbo boost to work correctly. Without an OS driver, I think you could still use a program like ThrottleStop since it is writing directly to registers within the CPU that control turbo boost.

Thanks to somebody at TPU, here's an example of how ThrottleStop works on Extreme or K series CPUs.

Last edited: