1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really annoyed, cant get software cpu temp reading

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NdMk2o1o, Oct 23, 2010.

1. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    I have an PII 550 (dual core) unlocked to an x4 B50, my mobo is an Asus M4A79XTD-EVO and it shows me my cpu temp just fine in bios, however I can't get any windows app to give me a temp reading, they all report it as being 0c :banghead:

It's frustrating now cause I think my oc efforts are being hampered as I can get get to around 3.5ghz/1450mhz 7.7.7.21 ram with no issues but any higher and I get BSOD, right now my vcore is 1.36 and ram voltage is 1.6v.

The problem I think lies with my Arctic Freezer Pro Rev2, I think it is a good stock replacement but am sure its not upto the task of 1.38vcore and 3.6ghz+. Obviously I can't be sure there lies the problem as I don't know what temp my CPU is running at load.

My bios is updated to the latest one off the Asus site this hasn't helped me monitoring my temps in windows and it still reports 0c, I think it must be an sensor issue as it reads fine in the bios (hovers between 40c-44c)

Any ideas how I can get a reading from an windows app? have tried hwmonitor, amd od and cforetemp with no luck :banghead:

2. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, thats what happens when you unlock em.

Last I checked it is impossible to get CPU core temp off an unlocked Phenom II. Your best bet is if the mobo has a temperature sensor near the CPU socket. Otherwise you may have to attach a thermal probe yourself.

I should know... I'm in the same boat.

3. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    You got the same proc, whats you vcore?

4. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    1.39V under full load, and 1.41V at idle. (It's at 3.7GHz as stated in my specs.)

I use Phenommsrtweaker to underclock it when I'm not using it to 2.0GHz and 1.01V.

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    For me everest says the CPU idles at 48 degrees, but nothing on the cores. Not sure if I trust it though, the heatsink barely is at room temp.

6. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Well I might have a bit more success with this latest bios update and clearing all my settings as have booted into windows at 3.67ghz, 1.38vcore and ram at 1400 7.8.7.21, seems to be running quite nice.
    Will shoot for an even 3.7ghz and 7.7.7 on the ram. CPU is showing 43c in bios at these settings.
    Haven't been able to boot past 3.6ghz in a while, am thinking resetting all my settings with the bios update helped.
    Long story short, really need a decent HSF, this is a nice budget HS I have atm and is good for stock/average oc though I think for that last push I really need to invest in something with a bit more cooling power.

7. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    I had that problem a while back and i fixed it by removing the cmos battery and moving the jumper for 30sec to clear the bios.

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Try ASUS PCProbe II, it might read the same sensor that the BIOS is reading.

I know you can't use anything to directly read the core sensors when you unlock, as unlocking does something that screws that up. But the BIOS is likely reading a socket sensor and PCProbe should be able to read. Usually in cases like this, where there is only a socket sensor to go by, I add about 10°C to the reading to get an estimate of the core temp.

NdMk2o1o says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  10. streetfighter 2

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget to up your NB. You can get a pretty satisfying leap in performance by taking the NB up around 2.2-2.4GHz with a minimal increase in voltage.

A bigger HSF is always a good idea.

If you did that with an unlocked chip you should write an article because the enthusiast community would absolutely adore you. I've checked everywhere and no one has ever been able to get the core temps working on an unlocked Phenom II (though I haven't checked in at least two months).

NdMk2o1o - what you're describing sounds more like RAM than CPU to me.

11. NdMk2o1o

NdMk2o1o

Thanks Received:
    Defo thinking I need a better HSF as it will be fine at 3.7ghz until it starts getting stressed at whgich point am getting BSOD's, I really think this freezer pro rev2 can't cope with the volts and clocks, though its hard to pinpoint as I dont have temp readings to confirm, will give pcprobe a shot, just FYI am running 3.7ghz 1.4vcore and is fine for "normal" usage but running p95 (maximum heat) it blue screens immediatly, you would think as I up the vcore it would stabilise but it doesn't hence am thinking the cooling capacity of my lowly ac freezer is at its upmost :confused:

12. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    no it wasn't on a unlocked cpu, it was on a 940 I was running, the temp did the same thing and that's what I did to fix the problem..

I thought Id just chime in and put my 2 cents in that's all :ohwell:

streetfighter 2 says thanks.