1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really annoyed with random ping spikes.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lwgnlseven, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Indeed, but i like 3dtraceroute :)
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm sure. I just recommend tools that are available already. I don't tell a user to install something unless they really have to.
  3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sure, but there is no install to it either. But yes your right but it's a nice app to use.
  4. bim New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have the same problem where ping randomly goes up then back down suddenly. Of course it makes my gaming experience hell and I haven't found the cause. But I found a temporary solution. I don't know how it works but when I download something ( torrent, etc.) my ping is constant :rockout: . I believe this has nothing to do with any internet related, because I have 2 laptops and only mine has that problem. I use another network connection and nothing change. It might be a software related but I put my laptop back to factory default and the problem is still.

At this point I have no idea what is wrong with it. I'm also not techically good with computer. But I hope someone can catch on with the torrent thing as a hint and come up with a solution. :toast:

Bump
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    this does not belong in this thread, and you wont get help for it here. make your own thread.
  6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just as some general advice:

ping the router
    ping your ISP's website or DNS server
    ping google

leave them running with -t

if you see packet loss or ping spikes to the router, you know its a hardware fault.

if everything screws up from the ISP onwards, its a problem between your modem and then (for example, a faulty DSL router at their end, or your upload is choked*)

if its fine to the ISP but bad to google/anything else, then the problem is further upstream and you cant fix it.

* if a single person uploads a photo from an iphone, your internet upload will get maxed out briefly. this is a very big cause of ping spikes - try getting a router (i reccomend TP link) with bandwidth management, and lock each device/IP to <40% max upload to prevent any two concurrent users from causing ping spikes.