1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really low profile LGA775 cooler ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Yukikaze, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys. I am in the market for a really low profile cooler for LGA775. It will need to cool a Q9400S CPU and fit on the DG45FC mITX motherboard.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it shouldn't be bigger than the mounting hole area if it is to fit in there. The cooler also must have no backplate, since the DG45FC has some of the components mounted on its underside, meaning it cannot accommodate any backplate. The reason I am not going with a stock cooler is because it is noisy.

This is going to sit in a tiny custom enclosure, and I plan to park the HDD above the CPU, so I need it as slim as humanely possible to keep the whole thing thin.

I am thinking about the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 LP, which is 53mm tall including the fan, but I was wondering if there is something even shorter.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    skylamer says thanks.
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Any particular reason stock wont cut it? The stock HSF is pretty short, surely less than 53mm.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The stock cooler is pretty noisy under load. It drove me nuts on my Q9650, where it was replaced by a Scythe Katana III. The F7 LP is whisper quiet.

I should've outlined the wish for quiet in the original post. Sorry.

theonedub says thanks.
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    There are basically two options. Either Scythe Big Shuriken. It's also very cheap and silent. This one is probably the lowest cooler you can get. Another one, much more expensive option is Thermalright AXP-140. Very expensive, slightly higher and doesn't have fan included. But can cool overclocked Core i7 920, so it should be maybe even capable of cooling Q9400 passively.
    Or by slamming a Scythe Slipstream Slim 120mm fan at very low RPM on it just to move the air a bit.

There are other options, but i doubt they are too effective. At least not for quad core, even if lower end one. They'll probably get noisy very fast.

Yukikaze says thanks.
  5. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    The AXP-140 has a backplate, meaning it is not an option. The Big Shuriken is taller than the F7 LP, although it is a better cooler.

Decisions, decisions. Is there anything else out there worth considering ?

6. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    crnt you change the fan on the stock cooler? if its for some form of media rig i doubt ull be doing oc so no need to have an amazing performer plus it'l probably work out cheaper

7. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Yukikaze says thanks.