1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Really slow connection; router or canopy problem?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by PLSG08, Apr 15, 2013.

1. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    We have a 1mbps plan (according to what we pay) that's really questionable.

the only time that it works as it should be is at 1am - 6am. The rest of the day the connection would fluctuate (and not the good kind). Our neighbors, who happen to have the same broadband plan as my family, tells us that they don't experience the same problem (or they just don't notice it)

The connection usually gets terminated (during noon) and sucks the most at night (7pm - 12am)

A friend of mine said that the problem is the router, so I suggested my mom that we could buy a new one. I couldn't test if it's the canopy since whenever I connect it directly to my laptop it leads us to page wherein we have to log in to their system :|

Is my router (An EDIMAX 3G-6200n ) the problem? or is it just the ISP? if it's the router, can anyone suggest a good replacement? ($50 and below budget) if its the ISP, then I'll try to find some other good providers here

(Anyone from the Philippines, what ISP do you use aside from the Plan 1299 of PLDT which includes landline and internet?)

Thanks for the help :)
  2. ALMOSTunseen

ALMOSTunseen

Thanks Received:
    Does your plan use a on-peak and off-peak service?
  3. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Call your ISP and have them run a check
  4. lyndonguitar

lyndonguitar I play games

Thanks Received:
    Hi, I'm from PH, where are you located exactly?

is your plan the Smart Canopy broadband and not the wired-DSL? and are you sure your neighbors are using the same wireless plan as well?

the Wireless plan is not that stable and heavily depends on the signal and the number of users(they like to throttle speeds). While the DSL have much more stable speeds(I am using the 3mbps plan)

http://speedtest.net/ what does it say here?

EDIT: its probably not the router, afaik, routers don't choose when they want to malfunction, let alone be consistent with the times
  5. PLSG08

PLSG08

Thanks Received:
    ALMOSTUnseen, I'm not sure about that. they never told me anything about a on-peak and off-peak service.

LyndonGuitar, I'm located at the taguig area, and yes its the smart canopy broadband provided by PLDT. Most of our neighbors are using broadband. (since DSL isn't available here in our area as stated by PLDT) But I'm not sure if its smart broadband.

Some friends suggested that we should upgrade to the new Fibr plan from PLDT, but we're still thinking about it.

From speedtest.net, it says i have;

PING: 270ms
    Download Speed: 0.16 MBPS
    Upload Speed: 0.8 MBPS

our old Sun Broadband plug it was faster... but also wasn't consistent