1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

Discussion in 'RealTemp' started by unclewebb, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Sergey Lepilov (XBT) New Member

Thanks Received:
    unclewebb
    Please update the RealTemp GT to the 3.67 version for the six cores Intel CPU.
    Now I necessary to use the GT 3.59 :(

2. intel525 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Intel D525 Atom

Bug? Intel D525MW Atom Mainbord (with PCI Geforce 9300GS Card)
    ... show wrong Temp's
    Intel D525 Atom (need 125 TJ Max for right Temp's) but can only 120 max.
    [​IMG]

3. unclewebb

unclewebb RealTemp Author

Thanks Received:
    Intel says TJMax for a D525 is 100°C and that is what RealTemp is using.

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49490

The problem is that the sensors that Intel uses are completely inaccurate at reporting lower temperatures. They were never designed for that purpose and it shows. Intel only designed and calibrated these sensors to control thermal throttling and thermal shutdown. Some of Intel's sensors are also useful for temperature monitoring purposes while other ones are not. Many of the 45nm Core 2 based sensors have significant issues like sticking and huge amounts of slope error so the further you get away from the calibration point, the more inaccurate they become.

If you want you can look into calibrating your sensors by adjusting the idle calibration values. Obviously they are reading too low so you will need to use some positive calibration factors to get your temps a little closer to reality when your CPU is idle. It's not a perfect solution but some users find it more appealing than looking at completely bogus temperature data.

4. intel525 New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think you wrong, please look here, with 125 all 100% ok?
    this is on all Prog's the same with this Intel D525MW
    [​IMG]

5. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    The problem is the slope of the temperature curve. The RealTemp documentation explains the problem that all of these sensors have.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

[​IMG]

By increasing the TJMax value to way beyond the Intel specification, all you've done is moved the sensor error from idle to full load. Now when your CPU gets near 100C actual, the fix you just did will have it reporting 125C which is wrong.

If you only adjust TJMax, there is no possible way for your reported temperatures to be accurate from idle to TJMax. All you're doing is moving the error around. On your CPU, the best way to get reasonably accurate temperatures is to calibrate your sensors and adjust the RealTemp calibration factors.

6. intel525 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the clarification!

7. intel525 New Member

Thanks Received:
    9.9 Calibration is not enough for this CPU
    first real temp core is 39 and not 30
    [​IMG]

8. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    You usually need a combination of Calibration Factor and TJMax correction.

It's not unusual for TJMax to be different between cores. For the 45nm Core 2 CPUs, differences up to 10C between cores is typical. The Intel TJMax specification for your CPU is 100C but the actual TJMax might range between 100C and 110C. This range is my best guess based on the testing I've done. Intel has never publicly documented their calibration procedure so all I can do is guess.

To try and find out how much TJMax offset your two cores have, you need to try and get the cores hot enough to the point where slope error is insignificant which isn't until about 70C. I like to run Prime95 with the Small FFTs option for a consistent load but with an Atom CPU, it might not be possible to get the core temperature hot enough with this test. Try running that test for about 5 or 10 minutes until your core temperature stabilizes. Don't use any calibration factors during this part of the calibration procedure.

The 9C difference you are seeing at idle will likely decrease a little at full load depending on how hot you can get your peak core temperature. If this happens, this is a sign that the temperature curve for each core are at a slightly different slope.

9. trnddwn33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    c1e disabling

Hello!

I've been using Realtemp for the past couple of years (love it!), and frequently use the c1e disable check box to disable the c1e state on my machines. I am just curious how the actual disabling is accomplished? Reason I ask is occasionally I come across a bios that for whatever reason just doesn't actually disable the cstates (even if there is an option for it), and its quite handy to do it within the OS. However sometimes it would be nice to do this without launching Realtemp, say on startup. Can you elaborate on how you get this done?

Thanks! :)

-Matt

10. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    RealTemp adjusts a bit or two in a register within the CPU. It's slightly different for Core 2 than for Core i. I don't have any Intel documentation for Core 2 but I think Intel publicly documents the C1E bit for the Core i CPUs. I've written a couple of small apps to do this separately from RealTemp so let me know what CPU you have and I'll see if I have a solution for you.

[​IMG]

ThrottleStop 2.99.9 might be useful for this too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d2jo9khxlz3i0tj

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
    trnddwn33 says thanks.
  11. trnddwn33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Most of the procs in question are in the i-7 or i-5 lineup. Thanks again for your time!

12. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Hey UncleWebb, any thoughts on building an LCD applet? Would be stellar!

13. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    I'm taking a break from any new development but I wouldn't mind seeing some data on my G15 so maybe someday I will add this feature to RealTemp.

mlee49 says thanks.
  14. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    I'll bug you about it again in 30 days. :)

I'll probably have to dig up some preliminary work for ya as well and get some details goin. This app would be sick.

15. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    I downloaded some code from Logitech a long time ago and I put it on the things to do list but I don't have as much time to work on my projects these days so it could be a while before or if it ever gets done.

16. kzinti1

kzinti1

Thanks Received:
    CPU speed not showing on Real Temp 3.6 with my sig. rig I built yesterday.
    Then again, I scored 1808 on XS Bench in 8.092 seconds at 0.00MHz. That's gotta be some kind of record! So fast it really is standing still.
    Have I missed something? Again?

17. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    kzinti1 says thanks.
  18. kzinti1

kzinti1

Thanks Received:
    Thanks! I had to d/l at Major Geeks though. I haven't a clue what to do with mediafire even after signing up. It just wanted me to upload my files to them for some reason. I didn't like the sound of that.

19. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

click button, receive bacon realtemp?

20. kzinti1

kzinti1

Thanks Received:
    I don't see that anywhere. You must have a paid account. All I wanted was to d/l RealTemp 3.67, which I found at MajorGeeks. Like I said, I have no idea what mediafire is, so I didn't pay for it. This is the 1st time I ever heard the name. Now I'm trying to delete my account there.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i dont have an account at all, that was directly from the link. its just another upload site like rapidshare or megaupload, only even slower.

22. kzinti1

kzinti1

Thanks Received:
    Weird. I did the same and just rechecked it. It doesn't look like what you posted. Just a link to Bloomberg News. Doesn't matter though. I have the program running and configured. Thanks.

23. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    temps ok or too high

My computer chasis i coolmaster cm690,front 120mm,rear 120mm ,left side 120 mm fans.
    cpu cooler Noctua NH-U12P SE2 performance(push/pull) with original noctua nt-h1 thermal compound.i7 920 oc to 2.94ghz.romm temp 22 case temp 18.

Attached Files:

24. unclewebb

Thanks Received:
    45nm Core i7 CPUs put out a lot of heat. Maximum core temperatures between 70C and 75C during a full load test are well within the Intel design specification for these CPUs so everything looks OK. Intel doesn't start to thermal throttle these CPUs until they hit a core temperature of 100C. Any temperature less than that is within specifications. Thermal shutdown typically isn't until 125C so you can see that your temperatures are very reasonable. There's plenty of room to overclock some more if you wish to. With a top rated air cooler it's possible to run these reliably at 190 MHz x 21.0 and with water cooling, some manage to go a little beyond that. :)

25. toohot New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanking you again for your expert help very much appreciated.With the cpu cooler I have installed, people on other threads have stated temps are too High for 2.94 ghz oc .Is this correct? your judgement and experience is A1 because you have helped me setting up real temp to my Pc specs. rm temp is 22 c cace temp is 18c But the cpu is idle 43c-44c.
    Also it would be a great help if the memory & pcie setting can be improved.I am using gigabyte easytune(ET6),I Know i should not use it but I feel more at ease with it.also sis sandra is stating Warning 2523: Memory bus speed exceeds memory rated speed. Reduce memory bus speed.Please find attached jpgs for more info.

Attached Files: