1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rebuilding a copperhead..a Solaris17 story..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Solaris17, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Ok so my coperhead was giving me problems it was apparent their was a broken line the mouse kept shutting off etc. well that doesnt fly with me because im in love with the mouse and i dont have $$ to but another 60-$70 mouse...so i decided to rebuild...

Ok this isnt a guide or a mod guide just a user experiance and a fun story...maybe it will give ideas... So after lots of trial and error i had thought i found the most likely spot of the break..i did this by taking my hands and 1 incha at a time flexing the wire until i could tun the mouse on and cut power at will.

So first b4 we tackle this problem we need to set up shop i decided on my kitchen table that would be perfect. Now i just needed the proper accessory's to do the job.

[​IMG]

my kit this was a X-mas gift from the girl..and has an impressive arsenal of stuff it was made spacifically for computers it includes wire cutters needle nose tweasers. anti static strap tourque and allen wrenches mobo washers and screws a whole bunch of stuff

next we have cashews...because ever modder needs a snack

[​IMG]

ho zah!

Next is solder because you kinda need it to repair wires..

[​IMG]

now i need my soldering iron because doing it with a lighter would be crazy painfull

[​IMG]

ok so we have our necessities now we need to start with the obvious clean our nast dirty gold tip...this is important because we need connectivity.

[​IMG]

this took actually more than 10 min because it was ridiculously dirty and corroded..So now it was time to clean the out side of the mouse this was crazy nast because my hands get clamy so their was an abundance of seemed like dirt and grime in the buttons and stuff i solved this with a q-tip and some paper towels..

now it was time to take the mouse apart you can do this by removing the bottom mouse foot and accessing the screw underneath.

[​IMG]

this is the top shell of the mouse with all the buttons on it...it seems the LED symbol is not connected to the board like i thought it would be instead you simply unplug it cool stuff.

[​IMG]

the bottom of the shell is pretty simple this holds the board and obviously the bottom wires. nothing is screwed into the mouse on the inside after you remove the top shell the logic boards simply slip into a couple pins and can be lifted right up.

[​IMG]

the entire mouse apart

And this is our sweet circuitry 2 boards actually sitting on top of each other..the bottom one holds all the chips and the driving for the mouse..the top one controls LED's and has the side botton inputs.

[​IMG]

Here are the 2 boards layed out..they arent held together by much..just 2 4pin connectors on eaither end of the pcb..

[​IMG]

and here are the connectors i was talking about..the wire for the mouse isnt ocnnected at all so i considered buying a replacement or another bad mouse off of ebay to replace it with a good wire but i have no $$ so decided against it. the little white one is the connector for the top LED the red one is for the usb wire...these were extremely hard to get off their clipped in rather well and a few times i thought i was going to need to buy a new mouse.

[​IMG]

Now the first step to soldering and repairing this wire is to strip it for that i found an old razor knife i accedentaly stole from work a while back

[​IMG]

this is what we will use to cut up my mouse....now to see what we got.

i started with the first place i thought they're may be a break i was greated with frustration as i found the inner 4 wires are tightely coiled in a plastic/aluminum wrap..that was incredably hard to cut off

[​IMG]

now after i got that off i was greated with some unexpected things...3 diff wires a metal unsleeved wire and a pece of rope...i take it the rope was so the wire doesnt stretch and break good idea except for the epic fail....not because it was usb i took the other 3 sleeved wires and off a hunch decided they were data lines...which means out unsleeved aluminium wire was infact 3.3v power...

[​IMG]

now after i checked the 2 places i thought their would be a break in the wire their wasnt.....this posed a problem as i wasnt going to cut down 7ft of cable to find a small splice...i invented a new crazy idea that could help or destroy my mouse..this idea would mean increased functonality or going without a mouse for a couple weeks...i picked the first one kk lets do it

what i decided to do was first make an incision on the wire right behind the usb port....what i was going to do is solder the actual solder wire to the 3.3v wire then make another incision were the wire goes into the mouse totally going over whatever break was their.

[​IMG]

The first cut and solder

[​IMG]

the second cut and solder

now that i had done that and ran the solder wire up the side of the actual wire..i needed to cover it and make sure hat it didnt break again...for this i had awesome wiring tape... so i decided to make a wire inside a wire sort o speak

[​IMG]

athis process took the better part of a half an hour but i decided to show you guys what was happening it went well except as the weight of the wire increased it kept falling off the table..making me worry that the tension of the wire wouldnt really break my solder point but the crazy fragil wire it was soldered to.

but i eventually finished and started to rebuild the mouse.

[​IMG]

after i had put it all back together and took a sec to observe how incredable ugly it was but i kinda didnt care so i moved on...the tape was done and i put the mouse back together after thoroughly cleaning it. Like a little boy i didnt clean up any of my things and ran to my computer to try it out...this was extremely nerve wracking for me as i had broke the wire on my second solder point..which means i had to solder the 3.3v line back to itself than solder the junction wire on..it was risky and scary..but low and behold i plg it in and SHA ZAM!! it fires right up..and no mroe disconnects!!! i WIN!!! i hope you liked reading this crazy thread as much as i liked making it....i consider myself a modder i cant leave anything i get alone as some of you may know and this random threads help other ppl understand that even if you have limited tools and even if you have the right ones...if you have some time and patience it doesnt really matter how much know how you have to make something wonderfull get pulled off :)

[​IMG]
  2. Silverel

Silverel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Modding ftw!

Good stuff. Functionality > Style. You :rockout:!!
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  3. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Nice work.
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  4. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thanks :0 i appreciate it it was somewhat difficult well not really but if you tore the second wire segment like i did it can get difficult but soldering the first part was pretty easy :)
  5. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    well, now I know where to go to when my stuff acts up! Nice work man, and another bookmark that has you as the front post!
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  6. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    lol thanks man :) i find skill increase is dependent on how poor you are so when your stuff breaks your more inclined to repair rather than buy...i think thats a quote from Solaris17's law

7. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    That is a true to the nature. RM brought back mine (now his) 3870. Took a transister out while he was looking for points for the trim pots.... I almost died, but I had faith in him. If you can't bring it back to life, then you can't think of yourself as knowing what you know. Thats the way I look at it. I'm glad you got it back man! now on to another part you can mod to hell and back!
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  8. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ha time to play more with my 9600 i have some thermal paste now :D
  9. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Ooooh, TIM! Whenever I get a new part, the tim is the best thing I find to make me even happier! lol
  10. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    lolo and all this b4 lunhc time to get something to eat :)

i wake up grab my pj's take a shower heat up my soldering iron i sit their and drink coffee and eat cashews lol
    Formula350 says thanks.
  11. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Thats all ways a good day! Can't wait til this weekend and do the same thing! I love those days! Good job man, and can't wait for anymore mods! ygpm
  12. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice job solaris!

thnx for takin the time to post it up, could be usefull to those looking to repair their mouse :respect:

its 10min to 4 O'clock and im still in my Pj's :laugh: but no cashews :eek:

:toast:
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  13. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Intel, is it plad like ours!? lol...
  14. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah nice job solaris, it would have never crossed my mind to even try to fix it and thats a lot of $$££ to throw away the razers arnt cheap.
    Interesting Read while im trying to get my 3yr old to bed proving very difficult atm :laugh:.

Cheers
    Gam
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  15. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thnx guys within the next coule of days ill show u how i modded my mobo to sli :)
  16. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't you have any spare USB cables lying around? I would've just soldered another USB cable directly to the PCB of the mouse.

Also, just FYI, USB power is 5v.:)
  17. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    I would love to see that! wanting to find a good board, and if I can make one sli... then I'd love to see it!
  18. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    thnx but no i dont and if i could find one my tip isnt fine enough to solder to those tiny little pins i have a fine tip but id need something like an ultra fine to do it :)
  19. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    you got it ill do it within the next couple of days :)
  20. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hey sol does your cam have a self portrait mode or close up mode cause that makes taking these kinda pics way easier!
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  21. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I wanna say great job solaris! I love when I find people like me who mod for functionality over form! I like your use of tools as well...
    Solaris17 says thanks.
  22. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    ya it does i used it or just about all those pics i think...but i dont know were the trypod is and my asthma meds make me shaky...even the like antishake cant help it
  23. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    ahh i know how that is
  24. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Congrats on the fix. Ive had to resolder my xbox 1 contollers a few times. They seem to break a lot where the wire goes into the controller.
  25. MadCow New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've soldered some really fine pitch stuff with a normal tip before, you just have to be very, very careful. I've soldered wires to the bottom connector of my old MP3 player, those pins are less than 0.5mm away from each other. Took a while but I eventually did it.