1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rebuilding Insipiron 640M

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Krazy Owl, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got a Dell Inspiron 640M for free. I needed to get an inverter that received already and a backlight for screen that I just ordered.

Originnaly it had thermal tape. I ordered replacement of 0.5mm thickness. Is it sufficient for the cpu and video card?

it has 1.66 gig 667fsb dualcore with 2 gigs ddr2-667 memory. I will open my external hdd to get the hdd and dump it inside so ill be done with laptop.

Anything you could add or suggest me ?

2. kiddagoat

kiddagoat

Thanks Received:
    I do believe those like most Dells, the thermal tape is a lime green and kinda spongey. As long as what you ordered is thick enough or will compress down to the proper thickness you should be okay. I would still use paste on the CPU, the paste seems to work better than the tape. For the VRM and other power stuff around the CPU, the tape is fine.

3. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    What is the life expectency of a laptop if i changed the paste on cpu and i blowed the dust out and put a new hdd if i use it as full time laptop pluged on wall outlet always? The screen broke but up to now its working somewhat good on an outside screen so i was thinking about keeping it as main computer.

Thx

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    A bunch of years. Unless something brake.

Krazy Owl says thanks.
  5. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I guess i can use this little dual core as movies watching, facebook, email and ms office. I will just find a way to stick it in the back of my screen and i get an all-in-one