1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

reccomendations for new rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by intel igent, Jan 22, 2006.

1. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    considering upgrading to a new rig due to the fact that so much new hardware is out/coming out. my current rig can be found in system specs. id like to stick with intel+ATI.

i use my computer primarily for burning music/movies, gaming, surfing and of course ocing/benching.

my budget is around $1500-$2000 CAD [possibly more if i sell my old box] (if any1 wants to buy my old box lmk :) )

thnx TPU :toast:
  2. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know much about Intel CPUs so I'll leave that open for people that know what they're talking about. That goes the same for the motherboard and RAM too since you'd need DDR2. As far as graphics card I would suggest an X1800XL/XT whichever fits your budget better. Hard drives I would get another 36gb Raptor and run RAID0 for a main drive, then another 120gb drive of some sort in RAID0 with your current one for storage. For a PSU I would just keep the one you have now. Then probably a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD-RW drive so you can copy discs if you want. That leaves cooling and it looks like you could just buy a few new blocks and transfer over your current WC setup. Hope that helps you get started though.

Good luck and have fun. It's always a blast building a new rig.:toast:
  3. intel igent

intel igent New Member

Thanks Received:
    thnx wtf8269, id kinda like to start from scratch - completely new system...........

id like to sell my box complete if i could and use that money plus some savings to build a new beast........

i was thinking along the lines of asus p5wd2e premium (intel 975x) , p4 631/641, radeon x1800xt and 2gb of ram.................
  4. wtf8269

wtf8269 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I would stick with the same 36gb Raptor RAID 0 idea even if you just buy new ones. And then I would also suggest just buying another 520w PowerStream, or maybe a 600w but the 520w would do just fine. Then I'd recomend a Lian Li or CoolerMaster case. Cooling depends on if you'd like to stick to WC or if you want to go air. If you want to go back to air what kind depends on how much noise you can tolorate. I would highly recomend getting some sort of overclocking RAM as well.