1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend a very durable mouse pad

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EarlZ, Aug 8, 2009.

1. EarlZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    My first highend pad was the razer exact mat that had both speed and control surfaces, paired that pad with a G7 and less than years usage the control surface was smoothed out, giving it a very high friction when moving the mouse in the middle area so i decided to use the speed surface and it didnt last any longer than the control surface.

Now im currently using a logitech G9 with a razer goliathus (med size ) control edition and the very same thing is happening, the middle area where i move my mouse around the most has smoothed out the weaving this giving so much friction, Im looking at the steel series mousepad, are the made of better or just the very same quality ? I would want something that will last atleast 3-4years.. Now im back to a using a yellow paper..

2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Ratpadz XT based on reviews.

3. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Func 1030 archetype - i've had mine for so long, they're discontinued cause no one ever bought more than one :p

4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yep thats it :)

cant find it for sale in Au, and its no longer on newegg.

6. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Seems you can buy it direct from them. Just trying to find where they ship to.

7. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Razer ExactMat is made by aluminum so my guess is that if you really need the most durable one look for solutions like that.

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    The surface material is shockingly bad quality. I have one, it did the same as his. The Speed side is totally shot, I'm using the control side which plays havoc with my Sidewinder X8...

9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    one side of my pad wore down after years of use - but as you can see, you can buy the pad direct and choose both sides to be the same, if you want.

10. rampage

Thanks Received:
    +1 to the func 1030 my smooth side wore out but once i got used to the rough side it was fantastic

ive actually wore through 2 and a half mice in the life of one mouse pad

11. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    ive had a regular old school mousepad for years... its a little dirty but it still works fine

12. Depth

Thanks Received:
    I've had a Revoltec LightPad Precision for about 4 years now. I don't use the backlight but the leds still work and the surface is fine, if a bit dirty here and there.

13. EviLZeD

EviLZeD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think if you want a pad that will last very long it would have to be glass/aluminium as most plastic pads texture eventually wears out. Something like SteelSeries Experience I-2, steelseries sx or corepad magna only slight downside is that they are a little pricey.

14. Homeless

Thanks Received:
    3-4 years? Don't think anything will work like brand new 4 years later. I find that all razer/steelseries pads don't last more than a year if that. They are amazing while they last though

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    mine and rampages funcs have lasted for years - you do get double the lifespan by just turning it over, and using the other side.

16. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Been using the control surface for 3 years and still going without problems...

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I have a custom Func Archetype with a aluminum skirt and cord clip pretty expensive but worth it. SteelSeries surfaces are pretty popular in Europe.

18. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer wood surface :laugh: I'd been using the surface of my table for quite a while now then switch to a cheap mouse pad. After I swap my table to a glass top table I bought a Razer set consisting of Diamondback 3G Lycosa and eXactMat im using the control side. Does that mean the eXactMat wouldn't last a year? damn and its expensive here wish I didn't bought it :shadedshu

19. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    Ive had an exact mat with the wrist rest for well over 2 years used with a deathadder mine has no signs of wear id contact Razer if i where you and see what they have to say about it.

20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    gaming surfaces are about optimal tracking and speed. I used to use my desk with a Microsoft Optical Mouse (one of the originals) back when I was playing Half-Life eons ago thank god the mouse was built like a tank unlike newer mice because I was always slamming it against the desk from lift but it wasn't the tracking or durability I was worried about it was the teflon feet that I constantly cleaned and wore out.

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    yeah i used to replace my teflon feet every month or two, til i got the func - and i havent bought any feet yet, despite having gone through four mice (two MX518's, current G5 and G7)

22. RadeonX2

RadeonX2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    both the control and speed side feels the same not enough grip on the control side. well I didn't use the wrist pad im not comfortable with it.

23. aximbigfan New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Wowpad I have had it for several years now, and coupled with my MX revolution, it works really well. So far, no obvious signs of wear, expect for it does slide around a little on my metal keyboard tray.

24. Soylent Joe

Soylent Joe New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting me one today. They only want $10 for the large one at Office Depot. The back of those things have such a grip.

Edit: I got it. I'm liking it well enough. Very large, it seems to perform a lot better than my worn out fragpad. I don't really like how thin it is and how it slides when it's hardly pushed on from the side.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  25. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    I have that Faux pas leather pad from Asus and that damn thing has lasted me for about a year now with no problems.