1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend AMD phenom II x6 mobo

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by Altered, May 23, 2011.

1. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    What mobo would be a decent one for a AMD phenom II x6. This would be used for gaming BF3 and just your average daily internet email and surfing bs. Just looking for a solid board that might see some small OCing nothing major later down the road. As far as price just looking to pay in the middle of the road average prices not high end or low dollar.

Thanks

2. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    If you only plan to do mild overclocking I would say you can get by with any AM3 board.

My real suggestion would be to wait a month for Bulldozer and check out the 990 boards then.

Altered says thanks.
  3. Evolved

Evolved New Member

Thanks Received:
    Altered says thanks.
  4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Im using an Asus M4A88TDV EVO/USB3 board (880g chipset) with my Phenom II X6 1055T, runs great and i have my 1055T @3.6GHz on this board.

Altered says thanks.
  5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    The most bang for your buck is probably something like a 785g or 880g. But if your looking at high end boards, almost all the 790's and 890's are great boards for average users.

Altered says thanks.
  6. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    Altered says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Your sig\specs say you have a Q6600, are you planning on building a new setup for that CPU? If that's the case just wait for Bulldozer since you'll get a much better setup for cheaper, regardless of how Bulldozer performs. On top of that, BF3 is going to rape the crap out of an AMD PII X6, so unless you already have that particular CPU, re-read the previous 2 sentences. The current AMD CPU's are dated and on their way out, unless you already have one and are just swapping out the board there is no reason to get one... at all...

If you already have that CPU for some reason, then get a 990 Board. They cost a bit more, but it at least gives you a reasonable upgrade patch for future AM3+ CPU's in the Bulldozer line. Getting an older model Mobo just means you'll end up having to get a new Motherboard AND CPU next time you upgrade.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
    Altered says thanks.
  8. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    No its not for me, although I need an upgrade, its for a friend asking about a new board, chip, and going to ddr3. I just haven't been watching the market or reading up on whats been going on as of late to really know the better choices.

I want to thank all of you for the advise. I am steering him into waiting on Bulldozer with a 990 mobo results since its just around the corner.

Seriously is BF3 is going to rape the crap out of an AMD PII X6? As I said I really haven't kept up with much lately.

9. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    Nobody really knows at this point. BF3 is being developed on an entirely new engine and we don't know how well it is optimized yet.

Besides that, if you are using any single graphics card, you would be fine. Phenoms don't bottleneck until you crossfire, or sli, upper mid range to high end cards.

Anyone that would tell you different is probably a troll, so I wouldn't take anything they said too seriously.

10. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    DICE games have historically been very CPU-dependent, so one can assume that an upgraded version of their engine would continue the trend. BC2 bottlenecked hard on my Q6600\HD5850 setup. When I upgraded to an i5-2500k my frame rates shot through the rough.

11. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Thanks Received:
    With both Dice and EA wanting this to compete more with Modern Warfare, as far as sales go, I think that it's safer to assume that they are optimizing it the best that they can so that it can run good on hardware that the majority of PC gamers use.