1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend around the ear headphones for me.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by char[] rager, Oct 6, 2010.

1. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Computer Sc
    I am looking for around the ear head phones, I am getting tired of the ones that you stick inside of your ear :mad:

Criteria
    1. Less than 100 USD
    2. Have decent sound quality, bass is a MUST
    3. Does NOT have to be noise cancelling
    4. NO microphone built in
    5. Needs to last at least more than two months before breaking :mad:
    6. Have a decent sized cord
    7. Be standard sized, like for iPods (3.5mm I think)
    8. Does not need a battery to operate
  2. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    Sennheiser HD 555.

Only downside is that they sound rather poor through an MP3 player. Otherwise, they meet all of your requirements.

Oh and they can be had for $75 shipped at Electronics-Expo after the coupon code: LSDA0915

You can also do a 100% reversible mod to turn them into HD 595's.

Read: Do at your own risk.
    char[] rager and TIGR say thanks.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    That totally depends on what music player you use. ;)
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    char[] rager and TIGR say thanks.
  5. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, like 20+ years, that I can think of without hitting up google. Gotta be a good product to stay around for that long...

I actually can't think of any other electronic product out there that has remained unmodified for so long. Truly a rare breed of product.

EDIT: 20+ years, not 30+ years...:laugh:, I'm too young for that!:laugh:
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  6. CJCerny

CJCerny

Thanks Received:
    Grado sr80i are probably the best phones under $100, but they sit on your ears, not around them. The Sony MDRV6 that were recommended are very nice and have been around forever.
    char[] rager says thanks.
  7. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    If you're feeling ballsy grab some Grado SR60i's and visit
    http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod
    the guy does some impressive things with those phones ;D

Denon D1000s are supposedly good. Also Shure 440s and 750djs are worth a look. As well as the ever-popular Audiotechnica M50s. Lots to choose from good sir! Typically its a toss up between the M50s and 750djs as to which is the best lower-priced hip-hop phones. Both are bass heavy. But they may not fall into your $100 budget.. better add $10.
  8. driver66

driver66 New Member

Thanks Received:
  9. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    555s are decent for the price. If you want more sound isolation, try finding a deal on Audio Technica ATH-A700s. 555s are open cans with better sound. The A700s are closed cans with better isolation.

Edit to add: the Sony model erocker mentioned would be a good choice.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  10. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I own some of the suggestions above.

I have the Grado SR-60i's, the Sony MDR-7506's, and the Sennheiser 595's. Of all of them, the best sounding for me are the 595's, but those are out of the price range, and not super bassy. In fact any Senn's lack base.

The Sony's are high pitched and not my favorite, however they isolate a lot.

If you want base and good sound, the Grado's sound amazing. GREAT base, but they will leak noise like a bitch. For the price, the Grado's are great. My Grados are also fun to mod (custom grates, quarter mod, driver mods, etc, extremely moddable!). Get the Grados, you will love them. They perform great in a quite enviorment, in a noisy one, meh ok.

From left to right:

595s, Grados, and Sonys.

[​IMG]

PS: The 555 to 595 is a total hoax. Drivers are different. This will come out at higher volumes, not at lower ones, it is easy to tell.

Attached Files:

11. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    you need to get some of that glue off those grados. it looks terrible! lol. did removing that middle button give any audio benefits? im about to open mine and add some dampening material and punch holes. should be good fun!
  12. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    What glue? There is no glue. I think you are mistaking seeing the drivers behind the grate. Have you seen Grados in real life? Those silver disks are the DRIVERS. Removing the middle button is worth it 100%. Improves airflow and bass with it. The grate made a great improvement and changed air flow from 30% to 80%. I am greatly impressed with them after the mods.
  13. char[] rager New Member

Thanks Received:
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Computer Sc
    Well, I REALLY do appreciate the coupon code offer you gave me Kantastic, but I asked some audiophiles here at my school (MIT, don't know why I didn't go them first) and for around 100 USD, the sony ones erocker offered me are the better choice.

Really though, I do appreciate the offer Kantastic :toast:
  14. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
  15. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Okay the drivers look like the leftover glue from removing the button. Guess its just the angle of the picture.. Did you punch all 10 holes in the grados or just 4?

[​IMG]
  16. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    It should be obvious I made custom grills for the headphones, and thus, no glue would be there in the first place. It is the angle. If I get a better camera (lol iPhone) then I can take some better shots. Also, I never punched the holes. I don't see a point. I get good sound as is. I heard a friend's who punched the holes, and I don't like it.

Picture here:

[​IMG]

You can easily tell I did the quarter mod, and right way too! The cuts are SUPER circular. I got an knife and cut around a quarter. Sounds great!

Attached Files:

17. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Also, here are the grills. No glue, see? I let the grills rust a bit on the outside and then I coated them to give the headphones a nice old look. Trust me, they looked too shiny when I put them in.

If you do decide on Grados, the mods are easy to do and easily make the headphones equivalent to $200+ phones IMO.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Nice stuff :) Supposedly the holes increase bass by a good amount. The Grado-guru Bilavideo swears by it, but of course all ears are subjective. I'll be able to give another opinion if I ever get around to it. Have you tried bowl cushions or just the quarter cushs?
  19. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have a set of bowls for the headphones. I like the cushies alot more. The bowls kinda hit my ears are strange angle. The cushies feel so nice. In addition, my ears are closer with the cushies, increasing the sound enjoyability.

I thought about wanting to increase the bass, but really, it was too much. I feel like I am on stage already. In addition, since I have made the Senn's my primary headphones, I have gotten accustomed to lighter sounds. I really love bass, but I now recognize subtleties in music. Anyone who wants too much base is missing alot. I was one of those people, but Senn's changed me.

EDIT: Not trying to tell OP he is wrong, we all have tastes. Mine has since changed / evolved.

PS: You will get addicted to music / audio / headphones / amps when you get a good pair. I never enjoyed music till I got Grados.