1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend me a keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KieranD, Sep 19, 2008.

1. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Someone recommend me a keyboard please, im in the UK BTW.

The damn old Genious broke, the spacebar snapped in half after only being able to press one side for a year. Never bother replacing it because it was the last thing on my mind but im having to borrow the other pcs keyboard since its now unusable.

Have like £20 but would spend up to £30.

Not looking for a G15 ect just a decent board.

Was looking at the OCZ Alchemy Series Elixir but cant find it in the UK.
  2. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
  3. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
    KieranD says thanks.
  4. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    i use a basic but very reliable Cherry KB ,excellent quality and no useless extras. OCUK sell em.

under a tenner for a good quality KB is a bargain imo.
    KieranD says thanks.
  5. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i checked and the cheapest Cherry KB is £12 but still seems okay, the Satiek Eclipse 2 looks okay too but has less features and the rest is plastic

im really bending towards the OCZ if i do get that one ill do a quick review
  6. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend the saitek eclipse mk1 much better IMO. Very proud owner of one, but when kyle2020 had a trade for his g15 i couldnt refuse, lol!
    KieranD says thanks.
  7. newconroer

Thanks Received:
    Curious...why do you need a particular keyboard, or at least something non-generic?
    Are you wanting something good to game with?

If so then I'd just get a generic board, and use a stand alone key pad like Ideazon's Z-fang.

I haven't touched the keyboard in a game for nearly two years.
    KieranD says thanks.
  8. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    I lurve my G15,i have all my info from everest on the screen,its easy to monitor temps etc in game.
    KieranD says thanks.
  9. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought a couple $1 keyboards from geeks.com for spares while I was buying other stuff there. I wouldn't have believed it, but the things are pretty darn good. EZ-9900. No fancy lights, no multimedia keys, but they've been banged on for months and months now and keep going. I suppose YMMV, though.
    KieranD says thanks.
  10. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    was looking for something a little bit good as i couldve just got a Generic thing from Ebuyer or somewhere like that myself

saitek eclipse mk1 looks good to me all i wanted was something cheap and good for games, if it has a next track last track and pause then all the better sicne i use those to change song in certain games i rather use my own music in like football manager/worldwide soccer manger since it has no real sound effects or music in it
  11. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Saitek Eclipse. Very nice unit. Backlit keys aren't overly bright, but they are still clear. Made playing Doom 3 in the dark a hell of a lot easier. Very quiet keys too, even after a years service, they are very quiet.
    KieranD says thanks.
  12. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Doom 3 aw you make me want to go and play the expansion now since i never tried it, ot was helluva hard to run and it was nice looking and scary sure repetitiveness in parts but challenging in others

on topic i think its between the Eclipse one and the OCZ Elixer whichever one you guys say is better i shall get since they are in the same price league

There is an OCZ Elixer 2 similar without the extra buttons but still looks better

EDIT: this purchase is more of a need than a want to buy a new board but even using this board i have on my other pc i can notice how much easier it is than the crappy old Genius POS
  13. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    KieranD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  14. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    looks like the best cheapo keyboard ive ever seen damn shit to much choice now. still i might get the elixir for the extra buttons but the saitek has backlit keys :confused:

i could just get the logitech for cheapness it is ONLY a FIVER £5 what a bargain and if it lives up; to its hype of having responsive keys :D
  15. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    Logitech UltraX Premium.

Cheap, great to write with (and fast) and volume buttons for headphone gamers. Works fine while gaming, but being flat arrow keys are close to the surface edge. So not the best choice for driving with them. Keypad arrows would work fine, but I use a wheel.

Review on youtube, not that I understand much from it, but displays the keyb nicely.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awUB_f5AHa8

Oh and heavier than it looks, so not sliding around.
    KieranD says thanks.
  16. AddSub

AddSub

Thanks Received:
    This will probably be an unpopular suggestion, but I find Microsoft's keyboards to be of excellent quality. Most of them are water-proof (something that is not very common), very durable, they come with a lifetime warranty/guarantee, and are very ergonomic. They don't cost that much either when compared to "others". They have models starting at around $10-$15 and some are at around $80-$100 or so.

For cheap generic builds (all purpose gaming/work/content creation) I usually go for Comfort Curve 2000. I own two of them already. They can be had for as low as $10-$15 (OEM) or $15-$20 (retail boxed).

Of course if you want something more exotic or wireless, they have some decent models.
    KieranD says thanks.
  17. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    saitek eclipse v1 GMV
    KieranD says thanks.
  18. MKmods Case Mod Guru

Thanks Received:
    +1 on either of the Saitek keyboards (very good quality/feel)
    KieranD says thanks.
  19. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It is a very nice keyboard, the keys feel almost exactly the same as my G15 in terms of pressure and travel, and it is just as responsive. The best part is that it recognizes more than 3 key presses at the same time, which is rare for a cheap keyboard.
    KieranD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  20. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea I'm gonna say Saitek Eclipse v1 too :D Awesome keyboard. I've had it for well over a year now and its still kicking!
    KieranD says thanks.
  21. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:

I'd agree as well - if you're looking for something more geared towards gaming, either get an el-cheapo $15 keyboard, and spend the extra on the gaming pad . . . or, Pick up an Ideazon MERC Stealth board, which has the "gaming pad" built right in (proud owner of one, here, and it's a very high-quality, great board - LED backlit as well). It'll take a little time getting used to the gaming pad, but they really do sharpen your skills over time.
    KieranD says thanks.
  22. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i want the Saitek Eclipse v1 but that OCZ board has loads of extra buttons and has rubber coated buttons oooooh so i might get a logitech Classic Keyboard 200 to replace this generic keyboard im using just now on my second pc, ill have to order today so it comes next week probably monday-wednesday

in the mean time cant use the other pc much coz im borrowing its board

right ive read about 10 reviews of this budget OZC board and i want to do my own small review main features that grab my attention are the extra buttons 10 macro keys 5 on each side, rubber coated keys, extra WASD and Spacebar keys!, 8 Keys for Media, 7 keys for internet functions, Membrane Tactile Switches (whatever that is), 1.85 lbs which im guessing is pretty heavy since i only know mass in kilograms(did a conversion and its about 850grams so its moderately heavy).

EDIT: thanks guys tho coz all the boards you listed are great come to the conclusion that people prefer the original saitek eclipse over mk2 and some people prefer a cheapo board over an expensive one although the quality of these cheapo boards can be kinda high sometimes
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  23. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I use the Apple Alu keyboard on all our PCs. It really is very nice. You just have to "ignore" the fact that its apple. LOL.

If you need help setting it up, I can send you the "drivers".
    KieranD says thanks.
  24. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    that apple board looks stylish but its not really what i want i want something good for games and regular usage it looks like its a nice keyboard to type with but i want something a little more bash-able

Sorry does that keyboard come with a usb port on the side or was i looking at it wrong?
  25. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    I would say the Saitek II as well. I love it. Its lighted on a budget. I considered the G15 at one point, but the Eclispe II was just better within budget. Gotta love selecting different colors too. The Red is gorgeous.