1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend me a solution... please.

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Techtu, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Right... as it happen's my sister has brought a netbook, however it needs formatting and for some reason it doesn't want to boot from my usb memory stick - I'm guessing that's due to me using a M2 card & usb adapter. Anyways now that leave's me to having to use a external dvd drive, this is something i refuse to buy as it's not for me, so she's settled on buying an external dvd drive enclosure so we can put my dvd drive into that and then format her netbook. Now the problem is the enclosure I seen isn't there no more (on an online site), so that leave's me trying to find a enclosure what is suitable and cheap enough for her to be happy to buy, bare in mind she only spent £40 for the netbook in the first place so doesn't want to pay around the same to get it working. which makes sense i guess.

so please if there's any UK guys about who know of any good enclosures or something to help me out then i'll be very grateful :D

EDIT: Another question is... would a external hard drive caddy do the same job?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Perhaps the boot devices order are not set so that the USB device is booted prior to the internal HDD, check if by pressing one of these keys, at BIOS boot time, you can see the USB card reader on a menu and select it to boot: ESC, F2, F8 or F10.
    If not, the USB card reader needs specific drivers and cannot be accessed at boot time.

As for the enclosure, I cannot be of assistance, only had one experience with one of those a few years back and it ended up pretty bad (killing two of my USB ports and the internal HDD), cheap stuff ended up costing more than a branded one.

EDIT: No, caddies are nothing but enclosures, they provide no PATA/SATA to USB connection, putting it in a simple way, it's just a box.
    After a quick "googling" it seems that an external caddy is just another name for external enclosure, so as long as it provides an external USB connection you can use it, just be careful when choosing the internal connection, SATA or IDE/PATA, that best suit your needs (depending on the HDD connection that you are gonna use to put in it).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  3. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Curious.... What netbook?
    Did you use FAT or FAT32 to format the card?

Some netbook bioses have been updated to recognize more devices to use and such, so you might want to update her bios, if it is older.

Also, maybe these links can help:
    UNetbootin
    Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
    Install Windows 7 From USB Drive [Requires 2 Simple Steps]

You don't mention which OS you are going to install, so I just got W7 links.
    Hope this helps.:)

Edit: the latest unetbootin for windows is 485 from here>http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/485/unetbootin-windows-485.exe/download

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    Techtu says thanks.
  4. netieb

netieb New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just get the hard disk out the netbook connect to your pc and format! Ready problem solved.

5. Use a flash drive instead of a card reader.

6. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Using an external HDD caddy just isn't going to work in the long term as it would mean me having to destroy the casing of the caddy to be able to fit a DVD drive to the connections.

The netbook is also on Windows XP not 7 and she is not prepared to pay for a new OS. So must have something what will work with XP - Sorry about not mentioning that 96Viper.

@netieb... that is not possible as windows work's with the BIOS and should not be able to run on another rig unless reinstalled, sometimes it may boot on a different system as I've experienced, but it is not wise to do so as problems will occur.

EDIT: @ TechPowerDown, would be a clever idea that, why I never thought about that before I don't know, but thank's for the top tip! surely my sister won't mind spending £10 or so, which is less than what I told her an external drive bay would cost.

7. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    True, however, some netbooks have to be taken apart to do that.

8. netieb

netieb New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont mean take it out and start form another rig. Just take it out connect it with another rig but boot up with the rigs hdd and format the netbooks hdd, cant be that difficult have it done countless times.

9. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    it's not the formatting I' having a problem with, it's installing a clean OS :)

10. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would really like to know what the reason is as there maybe a better solution if that info was known.

:confused:

11. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the reason it didnt detect was because he used a card reader, which didnt show up as a compatible device.

12. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    No ...WHY does the netbook need to be reformatted in the first place?

13. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    maybe it came with the wrong OS for their needs, or all sorts of crap installed with it they dont want?

14. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    yup maybe...but who really knows..
    If its a virus then there mabe a better solution.
    If its a harddrives issue with corruption there maybe a better solution.
    If its...if its...if its...see where I am coming from>?

15. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    wrong thread - ignore this post

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  16. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    As far as I'm aware, it was some young girl's before hand, she however is a typical teen, so yes it did get infected with virus's but by the time I got my hands on it the thing won't even boot into window's, even via safemode.

So a clean install is the only option.

17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:

Take the harddrive out and slave it then scan it with malewarebytes and antivirus program then run disk repair on it too and see if that cleans it up..Do this all from a different PC.:toast:

18. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i had two threads open and got confused, my comment can be ignored. i thought this was the thread with the laptop not booting.

DRDNA says thanks.
  19. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Its all good...I know we are just trying to help...:)

20. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    To be able to run the repair disc I would need need to have a windows disc on hand, which i do, just not a way to insert it into the netbook :p hence this thread being made :)

I think I'll go to the local store and pick her up a cheap 4gb memory stick just so I can install XP for her, seem's the easiest way to do it to me.

21. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    XP is a real pain to install from a flash drive, its not going to work as easily as vista or 7.

22. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    no not repair by OS disk but , repair by selecting to detect errors and auotmatically fix from the PC you slave the netbook drive from.

Techtu says thanks.
  23. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    ahhh I know what you mean now!

Well I'm off for a bit and i'll be sure to post back with some more info on how thing's are going with this.

Thanks for your advice guys :toast:

24. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    be sure to do the malwarebytes first and virus scan too before disk repair then maybe one more time afterwords... Now if that fixes it all is good but if there are areas that are unfixable for some reason, but its fixed enough to boot you could always ghost the drive from there to a known good harddrive and your up and going again on a harddrive that is good.

25. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Not difficult... true, just stating for the OP that it is not like a notebook on some models and I have done it countless times, too.

The Wind I just set-up had nine screws, 12 tabs (platics tabs are a bit*h as not to snap off), remove the wi-fi card, then remove the screws holding the drive, take out drive and put in re-placement drive, memory and reverse, etc. For me... easy.

Doesn't that thing have a recovery partition?