1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommend me a sound card?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by AKlass, Feb 4, 2010.

1. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a cheap preferebly around $50 that will fit in my matx case for music/gaming. I was going to get a xonar dx on ebay but my matx board only has 5.5" before hitting the dims. And the D1 is $80 on ebay. So can anyone recommend me one? I don't mind used. Ebay,amazon,newegg etc doesn't matter

2. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I would go down to Wal-Mart and pick up an Audigy SE for $30... oh wait, I did :p

Seriously, it's small, does the job more than well enough, and works on any OS.

That is if you have a regular PCI slot of course. I would recommend the PCI-E X-Fi card but it gets trashed on Newegg.

3. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thing about creative is their drivers suck and eax is non existant without alchemy. I only like crystalizer and cmss-3d. That is the reason I liked the xonar, it has eax without an app and the drivers are better. I dno't like the audigy because its not really a gamers card like a x-fi or xonar

4. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys if i may jump in her what card would you suggest in the $150.00 range? Dragon

5. DEFEATEST

DEFEATEST

Thanks Received:
    Auzentech X-Fi Prelude is what I recommend, should be in the 150 range. I have one and love it to death!

6. DirectorC

DirectorC New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a problem with Creative drivers. In fact I thought they were the most popular and best supported cards for a reason. The only problem I've got with Creative is that they don't give you the software suite without an original installation so if you didn't have the CD it used to be that you were screwed. But now that Daniel_K is around with his support packs this isn't a problem. I've got amazingly stable drivers on any OS I use, and thanks to Daniel_K I have the X-Fi control panel for my Audigy SE. And I hate Crystalizer, CMSS, and all that other crap. I just want clean sound. The Equalizer is what I can't get by without.

7. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    So I've basically narrows down my options to the xonar ds or the auzentech x-raider. DS is cheaper and has the av-200 but poor newegg reviews. The X-raider is more expensive but I've heard good things of the company

8. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    will the auzentech x-raider offload any work from the cpu? Dragon

9. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    heres its product page

I'm actually leaning towards the xonar ds now.
    Its sample rate is 192 compared to the raider's 96. Not to mention that its cheaper

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  10. surfingerman

surfingerman New Member

Thanks Received:
    for music and movies and games (in that order) look no further than the "HT Omega Claro +" you'll find it around 150 some sites, i got mine open box on ebay 120 shipped...Drivers are awesome, its almost plug and play, you'll want to use it with a newerish receiver though, if your receiver is kinda old it might have some troubles, the only thing that sucks about it it takes up a pcie 2.0 slot.. but it sounds amazing high end speakers are a must,.... to use this card with a sh**y 'speaker in a box' set-up would just be a slap in the face to the claro,

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  12. roast

roast

Thanks Received:

Creatives drivers are dire for any 64-bit OS. I've used XP/Vista/7 in the past and the same issues occur across all platforms - scratchy, crackly intermittently-dropping audio recording. And speaker configuration is unreliable. Daniel_K's drivers are a little better however.

13. SabreWulf69

SabreWulf69 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sound card I'd recommend for music and movies is the M-Audio Audiophile 192 or the Auzentech for gaming, but if your going the full digital route, it shouldn't really matter too much unless you got some Bowers & Wilkins 700 Series + or the like.

14. AKlass New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was thinking of getting the DS and combining it with SRS sandbox to makeup for the features that the dx has. And if that isn't enough I can hook up my Unison research SR1 to it.(Speakers only)