1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendation for a CompTIA A+ study guide?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by iKhan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this question fits here or not...
  2. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    Just watch cbt nuggets and online lectures that are similar... Youll fly through it... Good luck..
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    iKhan says thanks.
  3. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    between both the A+, the N+, and the S+ I have only missed 5 questions altogether.

My strategy?
    practice the practice tests, but make sure they are up to date (usually by reading recent comments)

Reading an a+ book might help.

Just remember that these certification tests, like most, suffer from obscure or irrelevant information that you usually never need to know.
    iKhan says thanks.
  4. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 ^^ When I updated my CompTIA in 2006 it was 2 tests. 1 hardware test, and 1 software test. If you have been building computers for awhile and have installed and uninstall a lot of OS's you should be fine, but on the safe side go somewhere that offers training and they should have some practices tests online to see what kind of extra training you will need or any at all. :toast:
    iKhan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    the A+ has just revamped itself (they do every 3 years) from 220-701/702 to 220-801/802
    there is not much out for study material and the mock exams have not been released by CompTIA for 220-801/802

i would recommend heading over to

http://www.certforums.com/ <-great forums lots of helpful members who are doing the same or have done as you
    http://www.professormesser.com/ <- lots of great free videos on CompTIA courses the 220-701/702 for example has over 20 hours to watch covering everything pretty much , 220-801/802 only has near 2 hours atmo

like others have said try pick up a book mike meyers comes highly recommended
    iKhan says thanks.
  6. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Common sense is key. The only tricky thing about the test is they want "their answers" there could be a couple that could be acceptable, but it's flat wrong unless its the one they want.

I bought a CompTIA A+ study guide book then killed a spider with it THEN went to take the test..bam passed. Since I don't know what level your on I advise reading it.
    iKhan says thanks.
  7. iKhan

iKhan

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. I took the practice test yesterday. Got 17 out of 30 correct. As Munki pointed out most of the questions were common sense, but there where some that left me thinking "wait, what?"

I can't pass it without studying =/

I think I'm going with this book. It has tons of positive reviews and it's only $24 on eBay.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071701338/?tag=tec06d-20

Hopefully I can pass the test before the 220-801 and 220-802 exams.
  8. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    For all my recent program studies I've been going to it-ebooks
    Crunching for Team TPU