1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendations for a push-pull fan config

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Anusha, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

I have a Thermalright MUX-120 with a single X-Silent 120mm fan (the one came with the cooler). I am thinking about adding a second fan to make the most out of the heatsink.

However, I am having trouble finding an X-Silent 120mm here in Japan. So I was thinking about buying two identical fans for the Heatsink, and moving the X-Silent to the side-panel of the case to cool the video card which seems to be running a bit too hot.

Can someone recommend me two fans to use on the heatsink.

I want a very silent PC. The X-Silent is very queit. But there must be others which give better CFM for the same or lower RPM, right?

X-Silent 120 is rated at 36CFM @ 19dBA. So basically anything that give 36CFM at a lower dBA or higher CFM at 19dBA would do.

Thanks.

2. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    bump! I am also in this predicament, want to replace stock fan with 2 new fans, thinking of Yate Loon D12SL-12 , what do you think?

3. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Get AC PWM fans and let your BIOS vary the speed. They come with an adapter plug so you can run 2 fans from the CPU fan header.

Millennium says thanks.
  4. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. Do you mean these ones? They seem good value, I will check them out. Thanks!

edit: thanks for the below. Keep them coming please :)

5. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Scythe Slip Stream 120 PWM.

It's also the fan included with the Scythe Yasya.

Millennium says thanks.
  6. Bundy

Bundy

Thanks Received:
    Almost..... They have two designs of the same fan, one has a case like what you showed and the other is more conventional. You will need the conventional fan cases so they can be fitted easily onto the thermalright heatsink.

this one

Millennium says thanks.
  7. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Sticking with Yate Loons, perhaps D12SM-12, D12BM-12, D12SH-12 or D12BH-12.

Millennium says thanks.
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I use a pair of Xilence Red Wing 120mm PWM if that's any help.

57,91 CFM @ 21,2 dB.

They're not the loudest fans in my case so I can't hear them.

Millennium says thanks.
  9. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    Millennium says thanks.
  10. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the tips on the Yate Loon fans, I would stick to medium, unfortunately availability seems pretty low for those on UK (only 2nd hand on ebay at high prices!).

The noctuas, I'm sure they are great fans sttubs, they are just pricy at like £20+ each! not going to pay that much for fans for air cooling I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

For me the choice for me is between Bundy's Arctic cooling fans and Scaminatrix's Xilence Red Wing 120mm PWM. I will look into reviews and decide, but it looks like paying the extra for the Xilence would be worth it.

Just to derail my own thread for a second, is there a S1156/S1155 cooler to consider which gives good performance and comes with 2 fans (or even 1)? For less then say £40?
    I bought the MUX-120 because a certain review said they beat the frio with aftermarket fan(s), but I'm not sure I believe that review any more. Ideally I would want to run a 2600K @ 5ghz on air, so I will need to invest in good cooling. Maybe my current HS would not manage this with any fans... not sure.

Ideas for cooler solutions welcome. Unfortunately a H50/H70 won't fit in my case or I would have just got one of those. Thanks for the help!

11. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    i have 3xredwing xilence 1500 on a 320 rad push only and their spot on v quite look good and move plenty of air no sound audible below 1300 rpm

Millennium says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  12. Millennium

Millennium

Thanks Received:
    Is it worth getting the PWM version or are they already quiet at 1500rpm? I will be running 2 on a CPU cooler...

The non PWM one seems to be a little cheaper. Not a lot though!

edit: hard to choose between Xilence and Arctic Cooling F12. F12 seems better on specs, price is the same, but I understand you can't trust manufacturer specs. Anyone compare either or got one or the other? cheers

edit2: f12 seems to have much worse flow/db values then the xilence, even if it means I can daisy chain my mobo CPU PWM thing. If you don't agree let me know. I won't be buying until tomorrow anyhow.

edit 3 (!) I went for the xilence 120mm PWM fans. They should be here soon I hope they do the job!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011