1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommendations on a Laptop under $1000

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Zlaney, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Zlaney New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking for a laptop under 1000 dollars to play games on average settings and watch HD videos. Currently I'm looking into the Lenovo y50 i5 4200H any cons or better recommendations for my needs?

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    That is normally one of the top performers at the price point.

Another good alternative is the MSI GE70 which can come with an i5 and 860m for less than 1k. The major difference is you get a bigger screen with the msi and a DVD drive versus the Lenovo having a 8gb SSD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4152559&cm_re=Gtx_860m-_-34-152-559-_-Product

3. NationsAnarchy

NationsAnarchy

Thanks Received:
    Actually that's a SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive), like those Seagate Momentum XTs. It isn't a dedicated SSD, just a cache for the HDD, creating a hybrid drive.

I would go with the MSI GE70 instead, more gaming-oriented. That Lenovo is more of a multimedia laptop that you can game on fine. That GTX 860M is strong.

4. Zlaney New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    I am well aware...I meant that you get the boost of an ssd inside the machine over just a standard HDD like in the other. It still is essentially an 8gb ssd just used for caching like early on in the SSD days.

6. NationsAnarchy

NationsAnarchy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the good old days when 40-60Gb SSDs cost like a few hundred to a thousand USD :banghead::banghead::banghead: