1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommended cooling for Flashing a card

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by naokiakira, Nov 25, 2005.

1. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm reading up on flashing my 9550 to a 9600. it seems easy enough but im concerned about the cooling. Its an ATI 9550 256mb. It came with a decent Heat sync, (6x4 cm) and it currently is OC to 375/220 when gaming (had it to 420/220 at a time but decided to switch ati programs 'cuz of functions, and heat was being noticed). should i concider not flashing until i get more cooling, fan etc, or is it not a problem seeing as it basically is a 9600 already. Also. I have both Ati tool and Tray tools and was wondering if Ati tool is nessesary for useing the flashed card once its flashed. Thanks.

PS let me know if you need any more info to help me. thanks

2. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    Once flashed you do not need to use ATI tool to adjust the clocks unless you want them even higher than 9600 speeds.

I would guess your current heatsink is probably ok, but I always buy Arctic Cooling ATI Silencers for every video card I buy just because they're quieter, and then they give you better cooling performance anyway. Quite often they provide ramsinks where there were none previously and that helps a lot with the RAM overclock.

3. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    About the Arctic Cooling, Are there any retailers that would sell gfx card cooling? i havent heard of any and (being 18 with no CC) mom wont give me hers for online purchasing (she doesnt like it =/). I would get a fan but buying online prevents me. Thanks.

4. YeaBaby New Member

Thanks Received:

Try Comp USA, Fry's electronic's, or a smaller mom and pop computer store in your town.

5. M. Mellough New Member

Thanks Received:
    You may also want to consider using the Zalman VF700-AlCu VGA cooler as an alternative to the ATI Silencer. The Zalman costs a few bucks more (and I really mean a few, like 4 or 5) but it performs the same or even better and it's compatible with both ATI and nVidia based cards which means it follows your card upgrades. I prefer the VF700-AlCu over the VF700-Cu because it weighs less. There is a downside to using the Zalman though, once istalled you won't be able to use the PCI slot immediately under your vidcard anymore because of the cooler's height.

As for where to buy either of those products I had better luck with electronic supplies stores such as Active Components or Fry's than computer retailers. With some Googling (starting with the manufacturer's own site) you can usually locate the retailers nearest you that will carry those items.

6. naokiakira New Member

Thanks Received:
    ooo, i like the Zalman for looks and performance. Anyone else suggest the Zalman? since if so i can grab one soon, a place sells them near my place.

Also any other fans and reviews will be helpful.