1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recommended RPG (or other) With an amazing story?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kusimeka, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Hey all, right now i'm not going through the best of times, and i wanted a nice game with a great story to cheer me up, however these days it's really hard to find, i many will suggest a game like Fallout, which while it is great, it's more of a "world" storyline where the world has a great backstory, however your main storyline is not actuley very fleshed out, like oblivion, if you get what i mean?

So i dont mind if this game is 20 years old, or is out now, or what platform it's for, i'm open to suggestions and it will be interesting to see what people's favourite storylines are!
  2. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  3. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
  4. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ultima 7! :)

Aw, I like Guildwars story line so far and no monthly fee is nice.
    Kusimeka and a_ump say thanks.
  5. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    MMO's or singleplay?
    i don't like too many RPGMMO's but for single play i'd have to say dungeon siege 2, and KOTOR 1 and 2, they are slightly dated but nothing beats an awesome storyline which kotor provides, in fact there isnt' a game i've played that imo has a better story line than kotor though if anyone else has other suggestions please say so, i've been wanting to play a nice RPG that has an awesome storyline like KotOR did.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  6. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    yes, FFX will definately cheer you up, and runs excellent on emulation. Hit me up if you want "more info" on the game.
    EDIT: so youve already played that, lol.
    hmm...
    when im down, I like to play some guitar hero 3 on the pc to cheer me up, that is one of my favorite games.
    Also, single player games, or snes emulation is pretty nice. Bioshock is A++, and helped me through my deployment, talk about being down...
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  7. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Kingdom Hearst 2 was pretty sweet. Cant go wrong with any FF imo. I picked up FF 1+2 for GBA for super cheap and it brought back some nostaligic memories.

Zelda is one of my all time favs! Not too long, just long enough for a decent adventure.
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  8. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    Ever played FFX with mods + 16xAF/AA? Looks really nice. :)
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  9. Kusimeka

Kusimeka

Thanks Received:
    Hehe thanks, it's nice knowing your not alone, and thanks for the suggestions, i've actuley never played a guitar hero, but i've heard there pretty good so i guess i'll have't to check them out :toast:

Can't say i have, but i bet it does look alot better, What do those mods do if i may ask? :)

@ mlee yes i agree, zelda LTTP is my all time favourite game, and game series :)

@ a_ump single player preferred, but mmos can be good too, just take alot more time which is not always free ;)

Thanks for the suggestions tonight guys, i'm off to bed and maybe there is a few more when i wake up :)
  10. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  11. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    Final Fantasy... 7, or any to be fair, i loved those games :D even broken sword wasnt to bad, but abit slow...
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  12. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  13. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Neverwinter Nights 1 + x pacs \2 + x pacs and The Witcher all though i enjoyied NWN1 more than NWN2 and The Witch was built upon NWN1's game engine as all so has a good story.
    Kusimeka and Solaris17 say thanks.
  14. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    yes, i had forgotten about neverwinter nights, i only played the 2nd one, that was on my bros and i got really far in it then he went to college and never felt like playing it again since i got so far last time :laugh: neverwinter nights is a great game with very nice storyline
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  15. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    just cause its got the same engine.... doesn't mean the story line is any good. but i will take yoru word for it.
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  16. mc-dexter

mc-dexter New Member

Thanks Received:
    come on FFIIV was one of the best RPG's ever :D
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  17. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    my bro played The Witcher, it had something new going on where your sword moves' imitate what you do with your mouse, or something like that it looked pretty cool though i have no idea on storyline
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  18. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The Witcher and Mass Effect both had stellar stories (the ladder is probably my favorite in recent memory). Neither are really traditional RPGs though. FFVIII and KOTR were some of my favorite stories from yester-year.
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  19. Viorel

Viorel New Member

Thanks Received:
    Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights 1, Icewind Dale...
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  20. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    NWN 2 should of been done the same way not the greatest graphic but gameplay and story in The Witcher is very nice, sure The Witcher is not perfect but it is much better game as it runs on the NWN1 game engine.

And i have played them all so i do know what there all like. Well tomorrow be buying the 2nd x pac too NWN2 which i hope they done a better job this time around but there's hoping for you. Not all a loss though as a friend or 2 will play online in COOP just for the story.
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  21. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    i thought that NWN 2 looked pretty good, though the robes and clothing looked kinda bland, guess that would be textures? but everything else like chainmail and stuff looked nice on it, it sure as hell taxed my computer when it was running full, i thk like 34 FPS average at 1680x1050 max settings 4xaa 16xaf, something like that it kinda shocked me :laugh:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Ground Control II: Operation Exodus :respect:
    Kusimeka says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. Zanga New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gothic 1 (rather old by now, but for some people it still creates addiction :laugh:)
    Gothic 2 + The Night of the Raven

Great story, nice gameplay but they ruined it with Gohtic 3 (the story still is good though)

Later edit : you can add Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods to the list (released this Friday)
    Later edit 2 : added some links
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  24. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Tales of series (tales of phantasia, eternia, etcetera (no, not tales of etcetera)), chronotrigger, secret of mana 1/2 and the rest of the mana series, lufia 1/2, mushashi, and there are plenty more on the SNES and playstation.
    Kusimeka says thanks.
  25. Gobbas

Thanks Received:
    Zelda A link to the past ha always been a favourite among mine, but story wise it is not actually that strong.

When it comes to a games story, the one I liked the most must have been Unreal 2's, it was just amazing but way too short.

Mass effect is pretty good too, but the story is too grand for my taste. I really dislike the whole 1 person (or a couple) whom are the only that can save the world/universe. Too big to get really immersed in.
    Kusimeka says thanks.