1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Recover data from a RAW partition

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Jetster, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I have an old drive that originally had Windows Media Center on it. I'm attempting to recover any data I can for a friend. The BIOS shows the drive and it passes HD tests. Any system I try to see the data says it needs to be formatted.

Here is what I have tried:
    XP cant see drive
    Linux cant see drive
    W7 wants to format it. It shows the partition as a RAW partition and healthy
    Hiren's cant fix it. Tried about 10 diff programs
    I'm going to try Recover my files next

But anyone run into a reading RAW partition. ?

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The partition was NTFS or FAT originally when files were stored on it? If yes, GetDataback NTFS or FAT should work

Jetster says thanks.
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. It appears to be working I just don't see the pictures he said was there. Just system files

4. RonaldMethew New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you should mention that which file system you used. As per of my experience I suggest you Remo Recover utility to recover data from old hard drive. I think it will be helpful for you.

5. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Runtime Getdataback for NTFS (or FAT) always worked for me. But that will simply RECOVER the files (if possible). It will not make your apparent RAW drive back to what it was. What happened is that somehow your MFT got corrupted and windows and other OSes can't recognize the filesystem. Do use a tool to recover whatever you need and reformat the drive. Power Data Recovery is good and fast too. You could also try this free tool: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Good luck!

6. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Runtime Getdataback worked. It just wasn't able to recover any media file as they were in the damaged part of the drive. I wasn't concerned about saving the drive or fixing the MBR.

7. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    I said MFT not MBR ;)

It wasn't the software's fault that some of the files couldn't be recovered. It was because of the torture you subjected it to, before trying the recovery. When something like this happens, the first thing to do is to stop using the drive and use a boot medium to try recovery.

Do try some other tools anyway.