1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

recover deleted data???

Discussion in 'General Software' started by acousticlemur, Apr 3, 2007.

1. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey i need a shareware or free ware program to recover deleted data. i have downloaded a few but they require a serial or key to save the recovered data. i am working on a friends computer that they use for thier buisness and some how they have deleted all of thier quicken files. and the computer has crashed witha "load needed dlls for kernel" error. i think i have found a way to recover from the dll for kernel error with out an inplace upgrade but i still need to recover the data. and i cant use any torrent software due to our VOIP router. anyone know of any good software?>???? much appreciated :D :toast:
  2. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Why do you need torrent software? ;)
  3. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    theres lots out there. just google it.
  4. acousticlemur

acousticlemur New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ended up with one. it took me forever cause all of the ones that were a trial version would allow you to see the deleted files but you could not recover them. but all is well now! thanks anyway! :D
  5. GIGGLA

GIGGLA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi can you tell what recovery software worked for you? So future viewers of this thread can benefit?

I've heard that the more one uses there computer after deletion the more chance that those deleted files will be overwritten and possibly harder to recover.
  6. TheShadowFL New Member

Thanks Received:
    That was the word on the street (so to speak) all the way back to the DOS days.
    Files are never really erased by the OS. Most every OS just marks the Directory entry for the file, that it was deleted. In the olden days, the filename "Mark.txt" would look like "?ark.txt".

PCTools had an undelete command in it's file manager. All you had to do was provide the first letter for a deleted file and PCTools would recover the file for you.

But if someone had deleted files and then did a defrag, well it was 99% certain that any deleted file was overwritten and gone forever.
    Many logs are written to during bootup and can overwrite deleted file space, so the less activity performed on a drive after file deletion, the better the chance of recovering those files.

I too would like to know the name of that recovery program. I have one tucked away someplace but right now I don't even remember the name of it.:confused:

Cheers Mates!
    The Shadow:cool: