1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Red Faction: Armageddon

Discussion in 'Games' started by FordGT90Concept, Jul 22, 2011.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to decide to buy Red Faction: Armageddon or not. I know that it isn't open like Guerrilla but, from the reviews, I can't decide if it is still worth the asking price ($40). Anyone play the game? Was it worth it? About how long is the campaign?

Damn_Smooth says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    if I remember some of your questions are answered in this sliver

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-red-faction-armageddon/17-4188/

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  3. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't played it, but I noticed that you still have a thanks button over here so I decided to use it.

4. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    :cry:

Most of their complaints were that it was boring. I see two obvious remedies to that:
    1) Play it with a mouse.
    2) Increase the difficulty instead of playing on "Normal."

I guess my concern is if you do those two things, is it still boring or does that boring turn into "frustrated" or "in love?" I thought Guerrilla was excellent but if all these reviews of both games were done on consoles, that explains everything. I'm even less certain than I was before. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I would wait until it's $20 or less. I am sure you can find something else to enjoy in the meantime.

6. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you like literal, non stop alien killing for hours on end and really, REALLY great destruction then you will enjoy the game. The destruction physics completely obliterate anything else out there, there's nothing like it. There's lots of explosions, lots of things being torn to bits, and there's a LOT of killing, almost all of it is aliens. It's also extremely linear.

There is pretty much no character development past "You are Mason, son of other Mason from the other game and some other guy is an asshole". Mason will remain completely and utterly stone faced to any situation he ever faces; nothing phases him as he is an unstopable, merciless more-than-human monster. While a single alien is deadly enough to kill trained soldiers with comical ease, Mason is able to effortlessly fight off hundreds with his hammer as it is capable of cleaving through anything as if it's made of rice paper, be it stone, metal, or flesh.

The magnet gun can level anything instantly. There's almost nothing it can't magnetize to, so stick it at the base of anything and click somewhere else and off it goes, even if it's a 3000 pound monster that's 10 feet tall.

That's more or less my experience after beating it on normal.

1Kurgan1 and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking you're probably right. From the sounds of it, it will probably happen sooner rather than later. I wonder if any DLCs and the like.

Which platform?

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    why does it matter if it's on a console?

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Because there's far greater immersion into shooters with a mouse (absolute precision). Consoles tend to be slow and jerky (clearly obvious to me in the video) with their joysticks.

For example, I instinctually point at the head if there is a head to point to. Games like this (linear with a lot of crap to shoot) literally turn into something like an intricate dance, especially when they are coming from all directions. Ultimately, it becomes a battle with myself to slay the enemy faster, using less ammuniation. That is appealing to me but, I'm not quite sold yet at $40. :(

yogurt_21 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I think a mouse would make this game even easier..

have you played Dead Space 2 yet?

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It would. If Guerrilla is anything to go buy, there's a pretty big difference between "Hard" and "Normal." "Insane" is simply that. XD

No, I hate horror games--which reminds me, I won't be a fan of those levels where it is completely black.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Except Geo-Mod--the best part of Red Faction. XD

Dead Space is a survival horror; Red Faction, not so much.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did very little besides spam the grenade launcher and magnet gun. They are the best weapons in the game. You get attacked by so much shit at once that trying to use anything that isn't explosive is an exercise in frustration.

Later on in the game you more or less get infinite ammo from one of the perks. Every room I entered was pretty much an endless stream of black holes and explosions.

99% of the game is mindless killing and shit blowing up / being torn to shreds. I played on PC.

15. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    You sure the main characters name is not Chuck?

Too bad the Red Faction from 2001 still has the best Geo Mod out there... kinda sad.

16. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah. Red Faction 2 scaled way back on the Geo-Mod and Red Faction: Guerrilla wasn't as scaled back as Red Faction 2 but no where near as capable as Red Faction. Red Faction: Armageddon seems to take Guerrilla and say, "you can destroy the environment around you but there's really no reason to."

It would have been nice to see Armageddon support the terrain destruction of the original with the story focused on the Marauders. Aliens are such a "writers gave up" move.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I liked Guerrilla and played it for many hours but for how many bugs there were with the last one makes me not want this one regardless.

In door only is another thing. Being out doors ripping shit in every thing was the FUN so many being in doors in boring.

18. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I was really hoping since they finally moved the title back to it's underground roots you could once again tunnel till your heart was content. But from what I hear, that is not possible. Yeah you can drop buildings that are underground, but you could do that in the last title in the series. I love destruction, and it makes me sad that 10 years ago a title was released that I thought was going to shape gaming, and they just turned away from the massive terrain altering effects. I had many good hours playing the 1st one, and it also makes me sad that they moved to the bouncy camera over the shoulder crap, give me back 3rd person or at least 3rd, I understand they want to make it feel action packed, but it just makes me sick watching the camera bounce all over.

/rant off

19. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it is very limited. not just not open world but as kurgan says - busting tunnels isn't even there.

I've only put in 2 or 3 hours, but i was pretty disappointed. i actually thought that crappy "syfy" movie wasn't entirely crappy - and
    was looking forward to the game. alas... the story is far in the future , with mason's descendant "darius", and really linear maps as well.

it does have destroying buildings, and there are some new toys that make that fun, as well as the hammer back from guerilla, but more
    often than not it's your basic fps.

all in all , not worth the asking price imo.

and as for playing with the mouse - don't. it's not that it's more of a challenge, it's that it is designed for a controller. like deadspace, the
    fov and controls combine to make controlling the character with kb/m difficult, and not in a good way. it's almost ridiculous.

20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    red factions old geo (original) and online would be pretty awesome i think, i remember digging holes through floors and digging nearly infinitely through ground and hiding in walls(pretty fun)

but the last few have been . . . . . . dissapointing.

21. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I finally was able to play Armageddon and I'm loving it on "Insane" difficulty. There are a few places where it is pretty difficult but overall, it might still be too easy. I've been using the magnet gun most of the time, disintegration grenades on bosses, rail gun on maraders, and black hole generator on the spawners that appear on walls.

It is tons of fun spraying a boss with disintegration grenades and then juggling them with the magnet gun to keep them out of play.

Edit: Got it beat on Insane difficulty without changing it at any point throughout the game. It's a fun game but it really doesn't have any replay value (except to use the good guns/upgrades at the beginning of the game). It is probably about 10-15 hours long which is typical for TPS games on rails. As others have said, it is worth $20 but probably not more than that due to the lack of replay value and it not being a sandbox game.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    i completed the game in a few days and enjoyed the experiance...

i just used the magnet gun... and nothing else... once i had it mastered it was a pleasure to just rip buildings apart, and direct the rubble at your enemies...

it reminded me a little of the force unleashed... i just loved the havok physics...

23. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I usually used the magnet gun to pull enemies away from me, or towards me, or to bounce them against walls. It wasn't very often where I used it to pull stuff at them.

I often pulled the big guys to the ceiling in front of them, then once they hit the ground, I shoot 3-4 disintegration sticky grenades at them, then used the magnet gun to pull them away from me. I then bounced them around at a distance to keep them out of play and let the disintegration grenades do their work. I'd then basically use them like a bomb. The disintegrators stuck to them damage anything close to them and then they explode when they die, spreading the disintegraters around them.

The big guys (and stuff stuck in walls) that the magnet gun can't attach to, I just spam disintegraters on them. Ammo is plentiful for the disintegrater because it is considered a gun so the small ammo packs have some shots in it.

It kind of sucks that you can't upgrade individual weapons. Nano rifle in Guerrilla is 100% badass (only downside is ammo capacity). In Armageddon, it is good, but not badass. Additionally, the standard rifle is useless later in the game and upgrades could correct that.

Edit: OMG! Mr. Toots! ROFL!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Crunching for Team TPU